Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to see what Barry did?

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Unhappy want to see what Barry did?

25728_372790379723_544384723_3622568_6915098_n.jpg

he caught himself lunch. one of my white mollies. 2nd one this week. hes being fed twice a day on a mix of flakes, veges, algae wafers and live food. but he still wants things that move.

so now im down to a 2ft tank of Barry the gold spot pleco, Little the black ghost knife, black the molly, white the molly and two small clown loaches.

im thinking i may need to get some feeder fish as he likes to eat things smaller than him. *sigh*

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: want to see what Barry did?

Poor fish
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

A pleco should not be trying to munch other fish....Have you tried giving him actual veggies? I give my ottos and plecos blanched celery and cucumbers. A pleco won't kill another fish unless he is very hungry. They do eat a LOT, too.

The other option is stress. Perhaps too much light, not enough places for him to hide, or water parameters...

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

water is fine. had it tested. he has several hiding places, bridge, beside the filter and my tank is well stocked with fake plants. tank gets light in the afternoon for about 2 hours but other than that no direct light. it also doesnt have a light setup on it.

i do give him veges, cucumber and lettuce is all he will eat but i stay away from the lettuce as it makes the tank incredibly hard to clean and control. so if i do feed him lettuce its right before tank clean.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

Name
    Christian
    Thanks

Although some Loracarid species are carnivorous, even they rarely catch food, mostly relying on scavenging....and yours, despite the 'gold spot' description, appears to be a common pleco, which although omnivorous, are mainly herbivorous. These plecos will occasionally chase another fish, but will not predate them. Are you certain the molly was not dead first?
    G. A. Christian Bilou
    Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)
    reptilerescuealberta@telus.net
    Vice-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)
    http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

1.2 Nymphicus hollandicus
    2.3 Tupinambis rufescens (red tegu), 2.0 Tupinambis merianae (B&W tegu)
    0.1 Felis domesticus
    Numerous fish and newts

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

ive seen him catch and skin a fish alive and ive seen him "piggy backing" on another fishes face. said fish died later on after having its eye sucked out. so more than likely it was alive when he got to it.

but i bought a gold spot pleco. i deliberately got the one that can survive in the higher temperature water (common is 21C-25C) because we have such hot days here and the water is always warm. my aquarium man is excellent, he will sit with you for hours and teach you about the species, difference in species and what they need etc. hes done this a few times with me and i dont believe for a minute that he was screwing me round by selling me a pardalis instead of a joselimaianus. im the kind of person who researches and he knows im the person to turn around and walk out of a store if i think ive been had.

but if you believe ive been had, then please continue to believe it because im happy with Barry, even if hes eaten half his tank mates over the years.

Name
    Christian
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammit View Post
    ive seen him catch and skin a fish alive and ive seen him "piggy backing" on another fishes face.
    Not uncommon for some plecos to suck on other fish...they rather enjoy the taste of the slime coat.

my aquarium man is excellent, he will sit with you for hours and teach you about the species, difference in species and what they need etc.
    Sounds like you have lucked out and have the very rare guy (especially if he is one that works in a shop that he does not own) that actually knows his stuff.

i dont believe for a minute that he was screwing me round by selling me a pardalis instead of a joselimaianus.
    Certainly looks like it could be a Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus...when you said 'gold spot', I thought that you were thinking one of the many common gold-spotted Baryancistrus species.

I know that in Aus, you are pretty limited as to the Loracarid species you can obtain, so I suspected that common plecos were, well, quite common, and that was what would be pawned off on most aquarists.
    G. A. Christian Bilou

0.1 Felis domesticus
    Numerous fish and newts

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Or your lfs simply did not know. Mine is pretty well educated, but for example they had Celestial Pearl Danios listed as Galaxy Rasboras, when the same was changed a few years ago.

I still find it hard to believe that a pleco would be aggressive enough, hungry enough, and agile enough to kill mollies. They just don't prey on other species.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

hes eaten mollies (full grown, fingerlings and fry), rosy barbs, an eel tail catfish (that was really sad because trevor was such a character ) and hes currently head down bum up inside a plant munching away.

im really considering feeding him feeder fish. i know thats a bad thing to be thinking but if hes happy eating and hunting live food it might keep my loaches and BGK safe from being sucked to death..

and the slime coat fact, ew!!! just.. urgh :S

Mom and Slave to my Flock Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tiffani
    Thanks

My moms Pleco did it too..he ate ANY other fish you put with him. He always did it at night and the other fish were always alive when he ate them.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

yeah its very nice going to bed with a tank full of living fish and waking up with a tank full of shredded bits of whats left of them.

Name
    Christian
    Thanks

Really, sounds like a good excuse to start another aquarium...just for Barry and some tankmates too big for him to pester...
    G. A. Christian Bilou

0.1 Felis domesticus
    Numerous fish and newts

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Ooo yeah I agree! Fun fun.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

i had a 2nd one going but my house doesnt have enough power points to keep non-essentials running!! the point behind the tv has 4 6 point power boards coming off it because its the only one in the lounge room. who ever designed my rental needs to be shot and hung out to dry.

but i would love to have another tank haha. i gave him a cucumber piece last night and theres none left this morning and hes sitting in the remaining shell of it with his eyes popping over the top haha. its adorable.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Thats...so odd for a pleco. I guess you just get some oddities every once in a while. Our old pleco, Mr. P, was as docile as could be. He actually begged for belly rubs! I cried so much when he finally passed away. As long as you like Barry and are willing to put up with his shenanigans, that's what really matters.

Remove Ads