Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

DAWN dish soap TESTS ON ANIMALS!

I have been buying DAWN religiously for years because they claim to be all, "save wildlife." Come to find out, the company that owns DAWN, Procter and Gamble, tests on animals! The jerks (to use a nice word) have been using your money and spending it on cruel and inhumane treatment for laboratory animals. Stop buying DAWN soap, now! Don't be fooled by the adorable baby seals on the bottle.

Here is a page of everything ELSE the company makes. All of these products have been or currently are being tested on animals. Boycott these products! Every purchase you make is a vote. Vote for what is right. Vote against animal testing. Do not buy anything from Procter and Gamble! (Or SC Johnson "the family company" - they also test on animals!)

http://pandgkills.com/boycott/index.html#batteries

8keets Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Mike and Kim
    Thanks

Re: DAWN dish soap TESTS ON ANIMALS!

I was going to e mail them, but they want too much personal information. My Dollar goes else where from now on. thanks for the heads up.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Gasp! I too have been buying Dawn for years because it sure does work well on grease and I always thought it was a good product. I mean they use it to clean off the birds and wildlife that get oil on there feathers... how two faced that they also test on animals.

I too will look for a different kind of dish soap here as well and just convince the hubby Dawn is bad, he swears by it to clean his work hands.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Before freaking out, I would look into this a bit more. Remember that anyone can make a website and make claims, false or not.

Also, 'animal testing' is a bit vague. There are some products that have to be tested on animals... if they weren't tested, they could do massive damage to people and other animals once they got to store shelves.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

I would do more research first, too. The animal testing could be testing if it's safe for use on animals specifically because they use it for things like oil spills. If that is the case, as with any animal product, they have to test it on animals.

I'm hoping that is the case anyway.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope your right Roxy about them testing it on animals because they use it on animals. I always thought it was a great thing to see them washing the wildlife with Dawn after oil spills here.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Christian
    Thanks

P&G has a long history of testing various products on animals. And to be fair, even products from companies that do no testing contain huge numbers of ingredients that have been tested on animals for years. Also, there are many brands that were built to success whilst being tested on animals then sold to other companies.

Completely avoiding all P&G products, and products of their subsidiary companies would be difficult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Gamble_brands

Completely avoiding all products from companies that do animal testing (this includes pharmaceuticals) would be near impossible.
    Last edited by Toirtis; 04-01-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: addition
    G. A. Christian Bilou
    Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)
    reptilerescuealberta@telus.net
    Vice-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)
    http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

1.2 Nymphicus hollandicus
    2.3 Tupinambis rufescens (red tegu), 2.0 Tupinambis merianae (B&W tegu)
    0.1 Felis domesticus
    Numerous fish and newts

Thanks

"Completely avoiding all products from companies that do animal testing (this includes pharmaceuticals) would be near impossible"

That doesn't mean I can't try. I typically don't take medicines because I know they are tested on animals. When I get sick, I resort to healthy eating to get better and it ALWAYS works. I can't say what I would do if faced with a life-threatening illness, but I am hoping that my vegan diet will help to prevent that.

I am going to be ordering many of my products online now, and purchasing only from companies that use whole, natural ingredients. I have found a few that I want to give a try, and will post reviews when I'm finally able to get a hold of them.

Taking a "devil may care" or "That's too hard so I won't bother" attitude is not going to help anyone.

And for the record, the majority of the products on that list that you posted I do NOT buy. I have been aware of that list for quite some time, and now use only one or two items on the list. Those one or two items will be cut out within the coming months. It is NOT impossible, you just have to think outside the box.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

It is an interesting issue. I have avoided P&G for a number of reasons including this one...however...you must realize that the "other" companies that do not test on animals use research from companies that already have. It is a no-win situation. In order for a product to be considered safe, they have to meet federal regulations and the only way to do that is to show research on its effect on living systems. Companies that do not do their own research are just stepping on the research that other companies have already done, so in that sense you can not avoid it.

I think the better approach than yours is to try and get better regulations for the "animal care" rather than not promote "animal testing". There is no reason why lab animals have to suffer the way they do, instead they can live somewhat normal healthy lives and be useful research subjects.

Name
    Christian
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    That doesn't mean I can't try.
    You certainly can.

And for the record, the majority of the products on that list that you posted I do NOT buy. I have been aware of that list for quite some time, and now use only one or two items on the list. Those one or two items will be cut out within the coming months. It is NOT impossible, you just have to think outside the box.
    Do you then also avoid ingredients that have been tested on animals, like sodium laureth sulphate (probably the most common foaming agent in the world), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), or even PEG40 (castor oil)?
    G. A. Christian Bilou
    Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)
    reptilerescuealberta@telus.net
    Vice-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)
    http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

1.2 Nymphicus hollandicus
    2.3 Tupinambis rufescens (red tegu), 2.0 Tupinambis merianae (B&W tegu)
    0.1 Felis domesticus
    Numerous fish and newts

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I think the better approach than yours is to try and get better regulations for the "animal care" rather than not promote "animal testing". There is no reason why lab animals have to suffer the way they do, instead they can live somewhat normal healthy lives and be useful research subjects.
    This. Animal testing is a necessary evil. It is the only way that medical science can proceed and the only way to ensure that new products (i.e. entirely new chemical compounds) are safe for human (and animal!) use.

However, we definitely should campaign for better treatment of those test animals. They should be provided with appropriate living environments, a good diet, enrichment, and vet care as needed. Respect the service they give us.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

i only use dawn on dead animals to strip out oils and grease... works well for what i need and the RSPCA down the road uses it too for oil on animals. so i believe thats the "testing", its external. RSPCA make it a high priority that they dont use anything thats tested on animals IF theres significant risk to the animal. dawn soap is safe when swallowed in small amounts and i doubt that a poor pelican whos just been washed and rinsed 4 times over will blow bubbles out its butt when it preens and ingests the remainder. they wouldnt do it if its not safe.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

It's a pity that testing can't be done on humans rather than animals. I'd much rather humans be exposed to risks, suffer consequences, etc. than poor, innocent, terrified animals! Because humans deserve it much more than animals. At least, there's a lot out there that do! Use deathrow inmates, or prisoners serving life for murder or child related crimes, etc. It's not like we don't have enough "subjects".
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

thank you for this information.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rottncosmo View Post
    It's a pity that testing can't be done on humans rather than animals. I'd much rather humans be exposed to risks, suffer consequences, etc. than poor, innocent, terrified animals! Because humans deserve it much more than animals. At least, there's a lot out there that do! Use deathrow inmates, or prisoners serving life for murder or child related crimes, etc. It's not like we don't have enough "subjects".
    Actually, they used to do that but after WWII the Nuremburg code was created in response to the horrific medical testing that Nazi Germany did on incarcerated Jews. It stated that all human subjects of research must give un-coerced consent to become part of a research project and be permitted to leave the experiment at any time. The 1960's Declaration of Helsinki updated this code. Although both of these were primarily a set of moral guidelines (as the Hippocratic oath), ignoring them had legal ramifications in the U.S.

After the Tuskegee experiment and similar cases were uncovered in the 1970's, a new set of guidelines known as the Belmont Report went into effect, which combined and replaced the Nuremberg Code and the Declaration of Helsinki. The Belmont Report required the creation of Internal Review Boards at any institution involved in doing human research and established the Common Rule that, among other things, established certain protections for human research subjects. This included special protections for vulnerable populations, which includes pregnant women, children, the mentally ill, the "disabled", the homeless, and...prisoners.

So, no. We actually can't do research on death row inmates without their consent. About 70 years of research ethics would make that proposition a difficult one. (Not to say that some of them don't deserve it).

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

For the record, most products DO go through phases of human testing, particularly pharmaceutical products.

As far as avoiding animal testing, good luck. You can try, but if you are really going to be serious about it, you are going to have to avoid nearly anything that has any kind of chemical or plastic in it. Although the final product may not have been tested on animals, you can absolutely bet your bottom dollar that every single ingredient was previously tested on animals. Lotions, cosmetics, soaps, anything that goes anywhere near the human body. A minimum lethal dosage must established for almost every compound, including many "natural" compounds, and this is done on laboratory animals.

Like Barb said, boycotting animal testing is not the solution. Fighting for humane testing and housing is.

Either way, I don't know why people get so up in arms about these things, but continue to eat factory farmed meat, the cruelty of which absolutely dwarfs animal testing in a laboratory setting.

Banned Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I would like to point out some wisdom I saw on a bumper sticker recently

Arsenic is natural
    Hemlock is organic

Both should fit right into that vegan diet that can protect you from all the world's diseases.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I would like to point out some wisdom I saw on a bumper sticker recently

Arsenic is natural
    Hemlock is organic

Both should fit right into that vegan diet that can protect you from all the world's diseases.
    I don't see how this relates to the discussion.

Banned Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sorry barb, guess I should have quoted:

That doesn't mean I can't try. I typically don't take medicines because I know they are tested on animals. When I get sick, I resort to healthy eating to get better and it ALWAYS works. I can't say what I would do if faced with a life-threatening illness, but I am hoping that my vegan diet will help to prevent that.