where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Unhatched eggs

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Question Unhatched eggs

My husband and I have two, a gray male we call Red and a pearl hen we call Lemmie. Lemmie laid one egg on March 18th, another the following day, and two more a day or so later. The first chick hatched on the 21st day (April 8th) the next chick hatched the following day. Four days have passed and the other two haven’t hatched. My question is, “How long should we wait before removing them?

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Re: Unhatched eggs

Have you candled them to see if they are fertile? Give them about another week. Your hen will let you know when she is done with the eggs. She will eventually push them to the side to focus on the babies.

Do you have any experience with breeding & hand-feeding?

What part of CA are you?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

No prior experience with breeding. We have learned through reading various books and the internet I didn't candle them because the hen gets too upset if I disturb her when she is sitting. The hen has a close bond with my husband and he could have checked but he didn't want to disturb her and he was afraid that he might break them. She has laid eggs in the past with no luck. We were surprised when we heard the first peep. The parents have been in to see a Vet for checkups and they are healthy. We give them a variety of foods and they have been eating a lot. I did observe both feeding the chicks. I have hand feeding food for the chicks and understand the importance of making sure the food is within 100 to 105 degrees, etc.

I live in Rancho Cordova, California. Close to our state capital, Sacramento

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Well, congrats on babies, and good luck!

If you get the opportunity, try to candle the remaining eggs. The parents will probably move the eggs when they think the time is right.

You should also try to get the parents used to you checking the eggs/babies. It is good to handle the babies at least a couple of minutes a day at first, then more frequently as they get older. This helps taming of the babies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

I just checked the nesting box again and I noticed one egg has been put off to the side. I can't see if the other egg hatched. I will start handling them as soon as I can convince my husband. I plan on taking pictures and will post them soon.

I recently retired and feel fortunate to have the time to take care of them. Their room (my office) is bird proofed so they don't have to stay in their cage until bed time. Thank you for your response.
    P.S. Red likes to help me type so if there is a typo, I blame him!

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Any news??

I'm glad you have the time to be with them too. It is such a neat thing to be a part of.

And yes, I too am well versed in birdy blamed typos. Why do they feel the need to sit on your hands whilst you try to type???

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Only two hatched. The other one wasn't fertilized. Last September they laid four eggs under my credenza in my office. One morning the fire alarm went off and I bolted out of bed and notice the light from the flames coming from under the door to my office. I ran in and the fire was going up the wall located right next to where they had their nest and my 80 gallon fish tank.) Red flew to me as soon as I rushed in and I managed to catch Lemmie in flight. I held them close to my chest and ran out to my patio door to get them fresh air. My sister threw water on the fire and my fish tank exploded and put the rest of the fire out. I put them in a another cage and went back to the office and managed to save my fish. The eggs were scorched but my birds were fine. I am lucky they had two. I plan on keeping them and not having anymore now that we know what to do to discourage mating. I have a few pictures that I will post. They are so cute!

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Can't wait to see pictures! Little baby fuzzies are so cute!

And I'm glad you and your pets are all ok. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Hi. The link below has the baby pictures. After we took the photos we realized the nest needed to be cleaned. Their eyes started opening today. They ave been gaining weight everyday. They have some black patches around their crop. Is that normal? When should I take them to my avian vet fo a checkup?
    I hope this link works. click on sjeffers01 gallery.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sjeffers...eat=directlink
    Last edited by sjeffers01; 04-18-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

What you are seeing is the food in the crop. Must be some dark seeds in the mix, and that is what you are seeing. They sure are well fed babies!

I can't wait to see what colored babies you end up with. I could see in the pictures the little gray spots where the feathers are starting to come in. I'd say in about 2 weeks or so you will be able to tell their mutations.

Such cute little yellow fuzzies!