Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male Pearl Cockatiel?

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

Male Pearl Cockatiel?

hey guys, I just brought home a couple of hand tame cockatiels. I have no clue how old they are and because this pearl is different than my pearl I have I would like to know if it is a male or female from the color of the feathers? I would like to say male because it looks like he's losing the pearls but I have no idea.

NIchole is owned by 12 budgies Summer, Shadow, Autumn, Kalipso,Clover, Boo, Luna, Bam Bam, Pebbels, Bandit, Kinder and Aaron. 3 cockatiels (Moon, Dusty and Pepper) as well as 2 dogs (Sonic and Buddy)

RIP Sampson my puppy you will never be forgotten! You were a good dog and an amazing companion. I miss you so much! XOXOX 08/14/08-03/27/10

Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Re: Male Pearl Cockatiel?

it's pied also so there is no way to tell for sure except for DNA. I have two just like this one and they are both female.

Cockatiels are like potatoe chips....it's hard to have just one!

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

i cant see any pied markings on it except for a small patch on the back of its head and that could mean its split to pied OR its just a heavy area of pearl. could you get photos of the birds back/back of head area please??

i have two pearls, a male and a female. my female is identical to yours and my male had lost all his pearls by age 1. i cant really see any pearl loss on your bird and because you dont know the age of it id suggest DNA.. or you can wait a year to see what happens. if the bird is young, that will give it enough time to start losing them if its male or if it stays the same its female. just remember that during moults the colour or patterning on a female pearl will change as well but only slightly... my female is 3 this year and her pearls have lightened in the yellow part and have moved down her back into her tail and up into her crest.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

I'm guessing female as well. Her pearls are just really different compared to my other pearl. I am wondering because I want to keep a male if there is one out of the two and my friend was going to take the other one. They are really sweet birds. Both are hand trained and love having their heads scratched. A lady passed away and gave them to my boss who didn't really know what to do with them. They have been in a cage all along I never knew that they were hand tame until I brought them home. The other bird has a leg band but I have no idea how to read them it is orange with the numbers 1152 and I believe 2 , and 00 so I was guessing maybe a 2000 chick? So she would be about 10?

NIchole is owned by 12 budgies Summer, Shadow, Autumn, Kalipso,Clover, Boo, Luna, Bam Bam, Pebbels, Bandit, Kinder and Aaron. 3 cockatiels (Moon, Dusty and Pepper) as well as 2 dogs (Sonic and Buddy)

RIP Sampson my puppy you will never be forgotten! You were a good dog and an amazing companion. I miss you so much! XOXOX 08/14/08-03/27/10

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

I believe she is split for pied along with the other one. I will get some pics of her.

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

Scooter( my pearl)

(new pearl)

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

I think the only reason as to why I have some confusion with this pearl is that it has more grey on it than my pearl that I already had. Thanks for your help in advance!

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

both the birds are split to pied.. thats what that patch on the back of the head means. pearls can come in all different colours and shapes.. this is probably one of the better pics of my Nyms pearls.. shes in a huffy mood right now because i clipped her so she wont let me take any new ones...
    IMG_0616.JPG

but you can see shes different to your two birds.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

Ok Thank you. Do you happen to know anything about if its normal for a cockateil to hold its beak open sometimes? I don't know if you can see it but in the pic of the normal grey she has her beak open. could it just be nerves of a new home? She does close it sometimes but for the most part when I"m looking at her she has it open.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

thats normal. Sere does that a lot. but hes also a very nervous bird so it could just come down to nerves in the end..

just at a total rough guess (judging on what you said about the prior owner having them) im going to say that both are female. the grey hasnt got any signs of a mask coming in and the pearl shows no sign of loss of markings... personally id get them DNAd just to make sure. it wouldnt hurt.