Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Spellbinder2001

Kids can be so cruel

I now have to hand raise a baby pigeon because some stupid kid decided to pull two chicks out of their nest.

One was killed on the way down and the one I have is very traumatised My kids know not to disturb a nest so I don't know why all parents can't educate their children about something so simple. I've successfully raised every pigeon chick I've had, but it's harder to get them re-acclimatised to living in the wild. I can only hope this one will be ok, as I already have one that some kids shot!!!
    I've only had it since yesterday, so I'll update on it's condition soon. Can everyone keep their fingers crossed for a happy ending please ?

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: Kids can be so cruel

That is horrible!
    yup, *fingers crossed*!

Can put some pictures up when it is more comfortable/acclimated in a few weeks? I would like to see a pigeon- there are none around here!

desert penguin1337

It is so dumb when people do that! What can anyone possibly have to gain by that? I guess it's just like bullying, it makes them feel 'powerful'

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

*crosses fingers*

Spellbinder2001

Thanks everyone

The pigeon is doing great (I've called him Patrick) and today he ate mashed potato and scrambled eggs, all served through an icing gun
    He should be flying in about a week so hopefully he'll be happy to live in the wild.
    I'm sorry I can't post pics as I have neither a camera or a scanner . I have them on my christmas list, but that'll be too late for pigeon pics.

mum to be! Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    anne
    Thanks

i'm glad the baby's doing ok he must be feeling fine if he's eating i hope the release goes smoothly

belle :belle

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

That's too bad. My mom always put on the extreme that I should never touch any wild animals because I was always outside and an animal lover. It's for the kid's and the animal's saftey!!! I'm glad to hear the baby is doing good. My fingers are crossed, and so are Pablo's wings !!!

Emi and her spoiled baby Pablo

Name
    Ronnie
    Thanks

Do you know the kind that shot the bird and the kids that pulled the babies out of the nest?

You should contact their parents and the local humane society since one of the first signs of a "troubled" child is torturing animals.

Mun ki, Beaky, Charlie, George, Wiblet, Ladybird (my 2 tiels and 4 budgies) and I have fingers (or wings) crossed for the continuing health of these two unfortunate (or fortunate, since they had you) birdies!

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Good luck with everything.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re:

Good luck with the release!

Spellbinder2001

Re: Re:

Latest update: The pigeon's doing well and is much less scared of me. The kids that shot my older bird were teens but we don't know who they are.
    The one who pulled the chicks from the nest is a local boy of nine. His parents are the kind who don't believe any bad of him. However, the police are well aware of the type of child he is as he's started a few fires in empty houses! He is most definitely a "troubled" child.

desert penguin1337

Re: Re:

Ugh. I'd love to know what makes him 'troubled' probably the fact that his parents apparently won't punish him for anything. Next thing you know they'll put him on riddelen and send him to phychiatrist when probably he just needed good parenting. Grrrr. Sorry, but I've met two kids who were classified as being 'ADD' One was smart. That's it. He was like my cousin, gets kind of wrapped up in being really smart and doesn't always participate in everything. So there must be something HORRENDOUSLY wrong with him *roll eyes* the other one acted like a jerk, but his family had problems. I just hate all these 'disorders' that any kid with a little extra energy or smarts is classified under. OK, I am going sooo off topic, sorry.

Spellbinder2001

Re: GOOD NEWS

My pigeon is now flying and should be able to feed himself in a few days. He's lucky I have a blender and an icing gun, as it made it much easier to feed him

Another update coming soon

Thanks

Re:

My uncle found an abandoned baby pigeon once and took it home...
    The funniest thing ever was when the birdie got bigger and my uncle's budgie was teaching it to fly

bettyray

Children abusing animals

I know I'm late in coming to this topic, but I just registered with ezboard the other day.

My first cockatiel lived in the store where I worked, since I was there so much. One day, I discovered a child in front of the cage hitting it with one of the short handled brushes we sold that was designed for cleaning outdoor bird baths. She wasn't hitting the cage hard, but she was hitting it repeatedly. I didn't see a parent nearby.

My terrified bird was backed up against the opposite side of the cage. I was livid, but I didn't show that to this child.

I gently took the brush from the child's hand, and tried to explain that she was scaring my bird. I think she was too young to comprehend the consequence of her action. I wonder though, would the parent have said anything if he or she had been around?

I have to wonder. I've seen too many children tap on the sides of bird, aquarium, and reptile enclosures in pet stores, with seeminly indifferent parents in plain view. I'll speak up in defense of the animal every time, not in an inflammatory way, but if the parent isn't going to teach the child about respect for all life, I will say something when I have the chance, particularly if I can stop an "abusive behavior in progress."

Some adults seem to have the same compulsion. They just have to make the animal move, regardless of the fact that the animal is not so inclined.

Respect for all life...that seems a good philosophy to instill in a child from an early age. Respect for other humans goes with the territory.

We are animals too ;-)

Betty

desert penguin1337

Re: Children abusing animals

Yes, that whole tapping/banging on cages and aquariums is more ignorance and thoughtlessness than intentional abuse. It is tempting, to me anyways, for some reason, even though I knwo it's a bad idea. Sometimes I have tapped on the side of an aquarium because I was worried the animal inside was dead :/ but I'm always wrong so I guess I'll leave off that.

bettyray

tapping on cages, etc.

I used to go birdwatching at a freshwater wetland where there are a lot of northern watersnakes. There's usually one or more of them near the boardwalk that spans the water, and there's usually somebody nearby who has to touch. Frankly, I have that urge too, but I hate to interrupt its peace.

Okay, I don't want to be bitten either. There...I've said it. They're not venomous, but I've read that they have no compunction about striking if provoked. I don't know if that is accurate information, but it's enough to keep me from touching. I think snakes are cool though.

Name
    Rhiannon
    Thanks

tapping on cages, etc.

If only such experiences, of childeren interacting with birds, could be turned in to an informative and positive one. Im sorry about the situation, but applaud your efforts.
    Good Luck
    **Fingers Crossed**
    Rhiannon

Danniis Flock

*crosses fingers & toes*