where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Missing feathers under wings

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Unhappy Missing feathers under wings

Hi,
    I am a newby to the forum and so excited to be able to get advice when needed. My little buddy, Luna, is missing feathers under her wings and only under her wings. I noticed it this evening when she was stretching. BTW, I think Luna is a 'he,' but I was told she was a girl, so now it is habit to say 'she.' When it's confirmed, I'll have to refer to poor Luna by the proper pronoun. So, I am a little worried. Luna eats Dr. Harvey's cockatiel mix (which I did research on and was told this would be an excellent food for her). I would like second, third, fourth, whatever I can get opinions though. I got her from a pet store, which I don't like, but I felt so bad for her alone in her glass enclosure. Point though, is that she was a seed addict when I got her, and we are also still working on bonding. She was so isolated at the store with very little attention (I was working there at the time in between jobs). It is coming along though as we get to know each other. So, I tried pellets and she wouldn't eat them. Could her diet be a problem causing the feather plucking? Also, what do you guys think about the importance of some type of UV light source for her? I do not give Luna much fresh fruits and veggies (I know I need to try harder). She is usually scared of it when I put some in her cage (except she does like whole wheat pasta). I guess I just need some general advice. So, to sum it up, I'm questioning the quality of her food to see if there is something better I can give her so she has a long long life. I also am wondering about the feather loss solely under her wings. She has a small square patch bald with no apparent skin irritation though. I hope my post isn't too rambly. Thank you! (FYI Luna is a 2 year old peach faced lovebird )

Name
    Tyler
    Thanks

Re: Missing feathers under wings

Welcome to Tailfeathers! I am kind of a newby too, but trying to throw my advice in there.
    I really dont know anything for sure, so again just trying to give you what I know.
    Feather plucking can be a sign of many things! I think the best thing for you to do is take Luna to the vet.
    You are right she might have a vitamin deficiency but it could also mean that she might just be bored! Does she have plenty of toys to play with?
    BU then again it might be a sign of disease.....So i think your best bet is to see an avain vet.....your vet probably wont know the reason right off the bat...he/she will probably ask you to observe Luna.
    Try giving Luna a bath and give her a toy that she/he can preen.
    Hope everything is okay...which she probably is keep us posted

Sid

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Can you get a picture of the area? The fact that it isn't irritated is a bit odd...

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Hey, and welcome to the forums.
    I have to admit, that by the sounds of it your bird has a normal underwing, very often there aren't any feathers there.
    If you could get a pic, it would help

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Are you noticing feathers around the cage? More than what would be normal for a bird? (which is to say, only a couple if they aren't in moult). If so, it might be a concern. Some birds have normal bald spots under their wings, but they are very small and close to where the wing joins the body. Here are some pics of lovies in flight to give you a better idea.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Thank you for all of the replies! I am looking under Luna's wing and it looks like the little bald patch in the picture. So this is normal?? However, I do see about 10 little light brown green feathers, her downy ones, at the bottom of the cage. Should I be worried? I will post a picture after she calms down. She was not fond of being on her back, because we haven't been practicing that. I'll try to work on putting her on her back the next few days and giving her millet to see if we can get a pic. I got her just long enough to take a look under that wing, and... :bite!: I didn't freak out though, so I think we can work on it. However, along only one of her wings it looks like is wear she lost her feathers. It's in the joint area going down, and it is not noticeable except I am looking for it. I have not seen her plucking, so I'm wondering if this is a deficiency or just molting. Do lovebirds molt at this time???
    Also, there are no avian vets where I live that I can find. Does anyone know of a vet that sees and knows about lovebirds in Greensboro, NC? Just in case, I want her to have someone we can go to. Thanks!

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Oops, I meant light green feathers, not light 'brown' green feathers. : ) By the way, I love your quote Ark. The Little Prince is one of my favorite books.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Okay, well I got a pic of Luna's feather from the back where she is missing feathers along the joint where her wing connects to her body.
    Also one of the rest of her back which looks healthy. Molting on her wing or a problem I need to get checked out??? Thanks so much. I had to add them to my profile in a public album. I cannot figure out how to include pics in my post.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I'm not a vet, but that looks pretty normal to me from what I can see.

(And I LOVE The Little Prince. It makes me cry every time I read it...)

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

She looks fine to me and those downy feathers are often molted out, and replaced so don't worry too much.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Hey, here's another picture that might help out.

My little guy. As far as I know he's as healthy as can be and you can see his underwings are a little patchy. It's normal, fas as I know

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Missing feathers under wings

That makes me feel better! Thank you everyone (I'll be sure to give her some egg if she's molting as much as that freaks me out a little). I love the pics you guys have up too. These are the most precious birds. It really encourages me to keep up working with her to build that trust better.