Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Fid.. new to the forum too.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Brand new Fid.. new to the forum too.

Hi, my name is Ashley and I just started my lovebird obsession... My mom had lovebirds for years, raised a few clutches herself and eventually my grandfather had them when my grandmother passed away and he doesn't live near by... anyway I just picked up my own personal first lovebird, an unsexed pretty peach face lutino (I know its a color but cant seem to find an example online) .. ill get pictures later when my camera is done charging but its a dark eyed, yellow body with blue/purple tail.. I'm curious to see what it will look like when its done growing. Its eating wonderfully so far and is approx 4wks old. We are undecided on which cage to put him/her in but we know we must decide first if hes going to be a single bird or a couple... we were told by the breeder we have up to a month at the most to decide as they aren't easy to bond once they have established their home. I would love any suggestions or input
    Last edited by adee; 04-30-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Brand new Fid.. new to the forum too.

Welcome!

If he/she has a purple or blue bum they're not a lutino. Lutinos normally have a white rump if I'm remember right. You should definitely get pictures up so people can tell you exactly what color it is!

As for the bonding thing, I'm not sure that's entirely true. It depends on the individual birds but it's totally possible to pair them up regardless of age. If you want the bird to bond with you, it's easier to just keep one, but if you don't have a lot of time to spend with it consistently, a buddy might be a good idea.

Thanks

Welcome Ashley.

Congratulations on your new baby!!!! Danielle is right, a Lutino wouldn't have a Blue/Violet rump. Also a Lutino has red eyes. Your new baby sounds like an Australian Cinnamon to me. Depending on the tail color/colors it could be a couple mutations.

Did you pick out a name yet?
    Last edited by Anfsurfer; 04-30-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

ours most certainly has dark eyes... they had another baby with red eyes and I just personally dont like them as much as darker ones...

As for names were thinking Weekly because we have a dog named Dayley (As in everyday, our 5yr old son named her) so I thought it would be quite comical to name him/her that.

We were told to feed it three times daily, does that sound about right? Do you cover your lovies at night with anything?

What about a cage.. I'm really torn as what to do. I know more room is always better but were talking one similar to this one
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UU3IBG/...SIN=B002UU3IBG
    is there such a thing as too much room? I like that it could go indoors and out as we live in south florida on the fourth floor of a condo and allowing him/her to have outside time isnt far from my mind.. our patio is usually a comfortable 80 degrees during the day. Thoughts on that?

Here are pictures of our new baby ... were still undecided if to get another one but im sure a decision will be made soon. Growing up my mom always had pairs that bred often and hers were always very lovey and wonderful to handle which I want to be able to also do. How much time should I expect to spend with one to keep him/her happy so I can make a realistic choice on getting it a friend or not... we also didnt have it sexed either so does that pose a problem with pairing?

Also, we were told to keep him/her in a solid bottom small cage/rubbermaid container while its handfeeding. what are your thoughts on that?

Sorry for all the questions, moms answers consisted of what worked for her at the time and im a research queen and get some conflicting information...

feathers coming in

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImVFQ7vHerw

heres a video also... its very, very "talkative" when im around otherwise its fairly quiet.. not sure how to take it just yet, whether stressed out or happy but it seems more talkative when i talk to it... input?

Its also very messy from the baby formula do they eventually get the cleaning thing down? lol...

Thanks

That's definitely a Whitefaced Australian Cinnanom Violet, and one of my FAVORITE mutations. Weekly is BEAUTIFUL!!!

I never got any of my babies that young, so I can't help you there. But that cage would be great for a Lovebird or a pair. They always say you should buy the most room for a bird within your price range. And of course it should have the correct bar spacing (5/8 of an inch and under for a Lovie) which I believe your cage is.

Can't wait to see more pics as weekly gets older.

Tim

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

awe neat!! im so glad to know what he/she is!! Finally!! Any idea what he (going to assume here for sake of time) will look like as an adult? I love that cage the only hold back for me is space inside. we live in a condo on the fourth floor and have an amazing LARGE balcony that is perfect for when hes outside in any size cage but the inside will be an issue we are lacking space to put it inside... perhaps in my bedroom lol!! So was $50 for the baby too horrible coming from a breeder?

wanna take a wing at possible age? the breeder said about 4wks... when is an ideal time to start clipping wings? I have read some different information but its wings are already long and full, the breeder said in the next week it will begin trying to fly and he would want to clip them at that time if im going to do so. ive read online however not to clip wings until about 7wks. i was surprised after looking online at babies how few under feathers our baby has. i know it doesnt know how to fly yet but i also dont want to be chasing a baby bird around the floor as it learns either.

As far as a feeding schedule... i work during the day and its currently being handfed three times a day, at least now were on a weekend. is there anyway to realistically be able to feed it at 7am and again around 2pm and then later in the evening or is that unrealistic? is it also true they should be hand fed until about 9wks? If I absolutely have to I can try to take it to work but were a pest control company and God only knows what kind of lingering fumes, residue, exc is in our office my little weekly would be exposed to.

Any comments on his talking in the video?
    Last edited by adee; 04-30-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

Weekly will look the same as an adult...white face, yellow body and wings, and the violet rump. Weekly could get an apricot colored brow over his eyes, but being a whitefaced there's always the possibility that may not develop.

I didn't watch the video because my bird room is next to my office here and if my 8 babies heard that they would be awake. hahaha!

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

how do you know if the sound the little bird is making is a good one? lol... seems silly but it gets soo excited sounding when im feeding it, talking to it, touching it, exc but the moment i stop its quiet... i just want to be sure im not stressing it out we just did our middle of the night feeding. the breeder said its only eating 3xs a day but its crop felt completely deflated and had been for several hours... it last ate around 6? Seemed like a terribly long time to go without food. I could be wrong but boy was it happy to see the syringe

Thanks

I never had babies that young, but I went to the bird store today to get some stuff, and the owner showed me her baby lovebirds she was handfeeding and they went NUTS when she opened the cover on their cage. They all came running out of their little nest in there. Then when we were done. shortly thereafter they went back to the nest and were quiet. I think it's normal. I'm sure someone who has experience with that will respond soon. :-)

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Thanks so much for responding so quickly I dont doubt he recognizes the syringe since its only been handfed by the breeder (and now me obviously) i just didnt want to run the risk of letting its crop stay empty since 6 and all the way through until i got up tomorrow morning. Figured worse case scenario it got an extra feeding. Its a good eater though if nothing else It totally understands flapping its wings to regain balance too which i got to see for the first time tonight.

What kind of cage do you keep your lovies in? Im really struggling with what to do in the cage department and wanted to go shopping Monday. It makes me nervous knowing hes just in a rubbermaid even though realistically i know he cant fly yet and it is a fairly high sided rubbermaid. I really feel its going to depend if im going to keep its feathers long too, in such a big cage it will have ample room to fly but otherwise wont it just get lost in such a large cage? If its alone does it really need that much space anyway? Goodness gracious that cage is HUGE in person! I was tempted to buy it tonight but want to make a good solid choice before I put out that kind of money. It isnt just the cage either, I gotta furnish it! lol... I am somewhat leaning to getting a second to keep it company but not 100% sure just yet. Or perhaps a third? Can they live in flocks comfortably without fighting or hurting one another? My mom did it, she often had 5 at a time in that cage but they were usually babies as they grew up were all kept together with mom and dad. Im not sure I want to deal with breeding though either and know its a reality when you have more than one and none are sexed. I definitely want a nice pet that we can handle but dont want it to be lonely when were gone at work all day either.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

This morning:
    Preening

Practicing?

its really stretching its wings alot today and we even got some flapping
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJkv5WSuls

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

nawww look at that little fluffy butt!!

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Oh my gosh, baby lovebirds are too adorable! He looks somewhat similar to one of mine, who is a very heavily pied blue - they look like little baby chickens!

The cage you linked is the same size (different brand) of the one I have. I keep two lovies in it but it's a perfectly awesome cage for one. Mys birds use almost every inch of the cage space! I've had other cages but that one is my favorite, I have no complaints about it at all. In terms of size, build quality, and price, it's just fabulous. You don't have to completely fill it with stuff though, so don't let the size be daunting. There's no such thing as too much cage space (birds in the wild have the whole sky, afterall), as long as the bar spacing isn't too big, bigger is always better.

As far as I know you can keep them in flocks, but you have to be careful, especially when they start to get nesty. Female lovebirds can be especially aggressive, and then again some birds just don't like each other. I have three birds, a male/female pair and a single female, and the single female and the male in the pair hate eachother with a passion. Both females get along fine though (which is a little strange!).

As far as great pets go, the two I have in a pair are still nice to handle and be around. I've had no troubles keeping them tame, but everything I've read says it's supposed to be difficult. My single lovebird (my avatar) is more tightly bonded to me, as in, she rarely leaves my side when it's her out-of-cage-time. Admittedly, she's a little demon, but she's a velcro-demon

When I go to school the birds are all fine and don't get lonely. My mom tells me they sing happily pretty much all day. Granted, the single lovebird still has other birds to 'talk to', but I know of people who leave the radio on and such to keep the bird 'company' while they're gone. I think there are a few people on the boards who just have one lovebird, they might be able to say more. Personally, I like the fact that mine have birdy-company at least within earshot.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

thank you for commenting!! I too love the idea of weekly having a friend to keep him company. Perhaps we will stick with just two. I love that cage but may be pressed for space *inside* my home, not outside. I have a huge balcony that is perfect and I actually cleared if off completely this morning and fresh washed it down with dawn dishsoap and water (needed something to help and didnt want anything too strong)