Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hands problem

Tony Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tony
    Thanks

Hands problem

Hi everybody,

I have had my lovebird for about 4 months now. (her name is Pokey).

I have had a rather hard time getting her to bond with me because we have a small dog and a guinea pig, both of which, Pokey seemed to want to hang out with instead of me.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I made a breakthrough. Using one of my dog's squeeky toys, I managed to get Pokey to fly onto my shoulder. After a few times with the squeeky toy, she started coming to me even without me using the toy.

She comes to me when I enter the room and plays around with my ears and my hair, and when I'm sitting on the couch with my feet up she will come and play with my toes. (Yes, it tickles.)

Ok, so my problem is this. She is still afraid of my hands. If I put my hand up to my shoulder, she will fly away. Same thing if I'm on the couch.

Can anybody suggest any ways to get her used to my hands?
    Or is it just a matter of time?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You,

Tony, in Connecticut.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: Hands problem

i've given up
    Sammy was hand reared, but he still doesnt like hands. I've had him for over a year now. So we just get him to step up onto a forearm. He'll only come onto a finger for treats, or his favourite toy. And even then it's usually the back of your hand. He just really hates hands.

You could accept hands = bad, or you could work on it. If all the best treats are offered from your fingers, then it's hard to hate them forever.
    I always find trying to think like a bird helps- remember they are prey animals, and that your hand- in certain positions, looks an awful lot like a big scary set of talons heading at them. Also if you have a guinea pig and small dog is Pokey used to seeing you swoop down and grab up the other pets? Think claws again.

Also my last lovie would never step onto a finger- but if you cupped your hand she'd hop right up. Sammy freaks if i do this or offer him a finger. But flat back of the hand and he'll sometimes hop up.

You just pretty much have to make your fingers worthwhile, less scary and interesting. And it will take lots of time.

plus if the other pets are a distraction, can Pokey be taken into another room with less distractions?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    George
    Thanks

Re: Hands problem

What I recommend is patience! Actually, it is already a big step that she started coming to you. She might suddenly start liking your hands as well.

Apart from that. lovies are birds with a strong personality. They have likes and dislikes. My lovie, lets me grab him, put him in my pocket, carry him around etc etc. He just doesn't like to see my finger sometimes. When he is in good moods he might let me to anything. I have figured out, it is a matter of moods. Like a friend, you learn to live with and understand when is the right time for anything. But that's what's actually the nice thing. Lovies are a bit unpredictable.