where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

new cockatiel, biting, hissing and won't go in cage

Hi, I bought a hand reared teil yesterday, and this morning he woke me and my girlfriend up with very loud periodic screeching, that went on for ages. When he was quiet, I decided to let him out, he was fine on my hand and jumped on my shoulder happily. But now just refuses to go into his cage. He will jump on my shoulder still, but when I try to get him off and now even if I ask him to step up from any point in the room, he hisses and trys to nip me. Does anyone have any advice? Many thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Re: new cockatiel, biting, hissing and won't go in cage

okay he has stopped biting and hissing when I try to pick him up now, Unless he is on my shoulder... then he bites and hisses. He flies away everytime i bring him close to his cage

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

okay another update..

he was fine with my finger, I'd say step up, then take him towards his cage, then hed fly away and id repeat. But now hes getting moddy and nipping at me. Is he starting to associate me with thing he dosn't like? (his cage)

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

Mine don't like to go back in either. We find that if we use a spare perch instead of our fingers its easier to get them back in the cage. I don't know why but it works for us. Also we move quite quickly when we walk to the cage so they have to concentrate more on gripping the perch and have less time to get their balance to fly or react. He'll be fine in a few weeks once he's used to te routine and the novelty of flying free wears off.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ord View Post
    Mine don't like to go back in either. We find that if we use a spare perch instead of our fingers its easier to get them back in the cage. I don't know why but it works for us. Also we move quite quickly when we walk to the cage so they have to concentrate more on gripping the perch and have less time to get their balance to fly or react. He'll be fine in a few weeks once he's used to te routine and the novelty of flying free wears off.
    okay thanks a lot for that, also what about the aggression towards me and hissing? Will that eventually wear of too?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Don't encourage his biting by responding to it - act like its no big deal and then slowly remove your hand from him. No ouch, no screaming, no big show... thats what he wants.

Try associating going into his cage with something good. Place a treat in his cage when you want him to go back in - that way "going into my cage means a treat!" ... thats how I got my bird to not be a brat at bedtime. I would place millet spray in his cage, now he will go back in without a fuss.

He is trying to show you he is dominant bird and doesn't have to do what you say. All new birds will do this to test their boundaries. Training will rid him of it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Don't encourage his biting by responding to it - act like its no big deal and then slowly remove your hand from him. No ouch, no screaming, no big show... thats what he wants.

Try associating going into his cage with something good. Place a treat in his cage when you want him to go back in - that way "going into my cage means a treat!" ... thats how I got my bird to not be a brat at bedtime. I would place millet spray in his cage, now he will go back in without a fuss.

He is trying to show you he is dominant bird and doesn't have to do what you say. All new birds will do this to test their boundaries. Training will rid him of it.
    Hi yeah, that is what I am doing. Atm he dosn't really accept treats, he has eaten some millet, but will not eat from my hand.. I haven't actually even seen him eat from his food bowl yet

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

It took my bird 3 weeks to eat from my hand and he was hand raised. It took him a week and half to come out of his cage... and a whole month to get him to touch me.

First 2 days my bird just sat in one spot, not even moving. They are scared and stressed when they first come home!

Don't rush him. If you force your touch on him, he'll react out of fear more than anything.

Taming at bird takes a really long time, lots of patience and understanding they are prey birds. You have to earn his trust. It is very rewarding when you do though.

Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Exactly what Marrie just said. Also, he's had his taste of flying and that is another way of dominating you. I have 4 tiels and a wing clip also calms their attitude because they become more dependant on you to get from point A to point B. Good luck!

Cockatiels are like potatoe chips....it's hard to have just one!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

I hate to say it but I really am starting to lose patience and feel regretful for getting him now. I did a lot of research into them before I purchased and really didn't think he would be this much trouble. His cage is in my bedroom and the extreme squarking at 630 am, and the pain of his bites are really getting me down. Their is no way I can get him into his cage, it tastes about 40minutes of trying. I really don't know what to do. The reward process dosn't work either because he isn't willing to take anything out my hand or clever enough to realise I am putting anything in his cage.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

oh and he is way more scared of the perch than his is of my finger. So perches don't work

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

I'm not sure where you can go from here. I hate to admit it and wouldn't personally do it but a wing clip might be the answer. It will mean he depends on you for a while and during this time learns to trust you. Once the feathers come back hopefully you will have established a bond and some trust. Good luck and don't give up he will come round it just takes time.

Thanks

Trouble? This is a fifteen to twenty year commitment, three days in and you are tired of him already? Maybe you aren't patient enough to have a Tiel. Try to look at it from your bird's point of view. He is in a strange house with a strange person who tries to lock him up in a strange cage. He doesn't know you or trust you yet and I am sure he senses your unease with him.

My Binki is extremely tame and she was very uneasy for the first two weeks that I had her. I don't know about birds but it can take an adopted dog six months to adjust to a new home. Give the bird a break.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    Trouble? This is a fifteen to twenty year commitment, three days in and you are tired of him already? Maybe you aren't patient enough to have a Tiel. Try to look at it from your bird's point of view. He is in a strange house with a strange person who tries to lock him up in a strange cage. He doesn't know you or trust you yet and I am sure he senses your unease with him.

My Binki is extremely tame and she was very uneasy for the first two weeks that I had her. I don't know about birds but it can take an adopted dog six months to adjust to a new home. Give the bird a break.
    Hi, sorry about my earlier post I was having a bit of a rough day (girllfriend troubles, grandad died) And I was feeling rather frustrated at how I was so unable to get him to not bite with a technique I saw on youtube. I just kind of needed to vent it out by typing my frustration. I didn't really mean it. Anyway...

I saw a technique called the 'power pause' I have tried doing this but instead of rewarding with praise I rewarded with millet, as since he hates me at the moment, I didn't see verbal praise being much of a positive. Anyway, I managed to get my finger within about 2 inches of his head without him lunging at my finger, which is progress. But he did start to get a bit nippy and hissy after about 20 minutes of doing this. No matter where my hand was. Anyway what I wanted to ask was, if he goes to bite my finger, and I don't move it and after he nips me he moves his head away and stays calm, do I reward him for that? Or do I not? Because all though he did nip me, he has also done a positive by calming down and not nipping again. Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

I am not sure how comfortable I feel with clipping his wings. Firstly I wouldn't know how to do it without it being extremely stressful for the bird. Also I think its a bit of an extreme technique to get him to be dependent on me. It's like taking away his safety blanket.

Name
    Gayle
    Thanks

I agree like I said I wouldn't personally do it but it has worked for others. I wouldn't reward for the calming i'd just not acknowledge the nip at all. They soon stop doing it if there's no reaction. Mine hissed a few times but soon stopped when they got no reaction. Nipping after 20 mins is pretty normal. Most birds will only tolerate training for a certain amount of time. You should do it in short bursts of time and stop before the bird gets bored with it. Mine last between 5 and ten mins.Reward after a training session and continue on with it that way. You'r bird gets a routine and youget a bit of trust from your bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

I don't really understand why he is happy on my shoulder but scared of me also. He will sit on my shoulder for ages, but as soon as a hand goes near him he goes crazy...

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

I know it sounds silly, but sometimes I don't think they realize that your hand is actually attached to your body, lol. When I first got my tiel, she would do the same thing: attack my hand when I tried to get her off my shoulder. I think she thought she was protecting me from the evil "hand monster"! She stopped, though, and I bet yours will, too.

Sorry to hear about your granddad

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyCockatiel View Post
    I know it sounds silly, but sometimes I don't think they realize that your hand is actually attached to your body, lol. When I first got my tiel, she would do the same thing: attack my hand when I tried to get her off my shoulder. I think she thought she was protecting me from the evil "hand monster"! She stopped, though, and I bet yours will, too.

Sorry to hear about your granddad
    I just want time to go by lol, I really look forward to having a good companionship with my little bird I also bought a budgie, so far I have managed to get him to step up, and he does not bite me at all. Wish me luck on taming them both

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Again, this may sound silly........... But I suggest having your tiel watch while you are working with your budgie. I swear my second REALLY untame tiel learned appropriate behavior by watching my 1st tiel. "Hmmmm, Charley seems to like that lady, maybe she isn't THAT bad after all!" lol

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Squawking at 6:30am... do you cover him for sleep? If he sees the sun, he's gonna make noise... so if you are not an early riser, I would suggest a cage cover.

If he's biting, you're pushing too fast. He doesn't trust you, from his point of view you are a predator trying to hurt him. Take it slow, if he's aggressive you shouldn't be touching him yet.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

Squawking at 6:30am... do you cover him for sleep? If he sees the sun, he's gonna make noise... so if you are not an early riser, I would suggest a cage cover.

If he's biting, you're pushing too fast. He doesn't trust you, from his point of view you are a predator trying to hurt him. Take it slow, if he's aggressive you shouldn't be touching him yet.
    yeah he seems to have two moods. First thing in the morning if I open the cage, he jumps straight onto it without me even putting it near him. But then if I don't let him out, later, he becomes very nippy and hissy. Does anyone have any advice on desensitizing him from my hand? Thanks

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I have had my bird a year - he will cuddle, kiss, take scritches from my nose (but not my hands) - if I go near him with my hands though he will bite at me. He slowly is getting used to my hand, but it may take years. Some birds just do not like hands and it takes a long time to get them over it. I can touch his back, a little. I can pull a feather off his beak when he gets it stuck in his nose, but usually I take a bite if I put my hand near him.

Hold millet in your hand til he eats from it. Shorten it til he will take from your hand. Then put it further up your hand until he has to "step up" to get his treat. This may take many weeks, doing it daily, 5-10 minutes at a time, several times a day. It took me a whole month. Expect a few bites when he starts eating from your hands.

This training method will make him step up on your hand, but it is best to offer a fist, or fingers in the shape of a perch. Eventually he'll learn to step up.

If you are looking for scritches and other hand involvements - you will just have to be patient. That he will sit on your shoulder so early is GOOD... you've only had him for a few days. Birds are not dogs, you can't get them to let you pet them so easily.

My bird took 2 1/2 weeks to step onto my shoulder. A month to step up on my hands. And he was hand raised.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Stefan
    Thanks

I have had my bird a year - he will cuddle, kiss, take scritches from my nose (but not my hands) - if I go near him with my hands though he will bite at me. He slowly is getting used to my hand, but it may take years. Some birds just do not like hands and it takes a long time to get them over it. I can touch his back, a little. I can pull a feather off his beak when he gets it stuck in his nose, but usually I take a bite if I put my hand near him.

Hold millet in your hand til he eats from it. Shorten it til he will take from your hand. Then put it further up your hand until he has to "step up" to get his treat. This may take many weeks, doing it daily, 5-10 minutes at a time, several times a day. It took me a whole month. Expect a few bites when he starts eating from your hands.

This training method will make him step up on your hand, but it is best to offer a fist, or fingers in the shape of a perch. Eventually he'll learn to step up.

If you are looking for scritches and other hand involvements - you will just have to be patient. That he will sit on your shoulder so early is GOOD... you've only had him for a few days. Birds are not dogs, you can't get them to let you pet them so easily.

My bird took 2 1/2 weeks to step onto my shoulder. A month to step up on my hands. And he was hand raised.
    One thing I have noticed is that he is will step up much easier outside the cage. When outside the cage as soon as I put my hand to him he will step up. Inside the cage he doesn't like my hand anywhere near him. As I write this he is perched on my shoulder bless him. But I won't try and get him to step up when on my shoulder because he will destroy my finger

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

That's because the cage is HIS and you are an intruder. Training and him learning you are head bird should lessen that somewhat. You can also look up (google usually brings up trainer websites and many forum posts) how to stop a bird being territorial. My bird never had that issue, so I can't speak from first hand experience.

It's great he will sit with you that is a start to bonding and since my bird has bonded to me, he very rarely bites to hurt me... more to beak me and tell me i'm annoying him lol