where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of fleas???

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Getting rid of fleas???

Not long ago, our neighbors on both sides got many dogs. Now I am noticing flees in our house. This has never happened before.

I have been vacuuming all over, and I put a tiny amount of borax into the carpet. Not sure that it has helped much yet. What else can I do to get rid of the flees in our house that will not harm my cockatiel?

And does anyone think that there is a chance of the flees harming my bird? I will call the vet tomorrow and ask.

So frustrated that there are flees infesting the house. If I walk around the house I pick up flees on my legs.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Monique
    Thanks

Re: Getting rid of fleas???

Oh wow!!! That is NOT good at all. I suggest getting your whole yard treated for starters. I also suggest that you have a friend or relative take the birds for a bit and have your house professionally treated.

It needs to be treated with something that contains IGR, Insect Growth Regulator...I believe it means. This will kill any hatching larva and eggs that are in your home.

Do you have any dogs or cats yourself that may have tracked them into your home? It only takes one to start an infestation. And if your neighbors do not treat their dogs and such, then it is very likely your pets could have gotten a stray one...

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. Make sure you are vaccuming with a bagged vaccum, empty it outside immediately after vaccuming, and always use a fresh bag.

Oh..I wanted to add that you can take a white paper towel, disposeable plate, etc and line with double sided tape. Keep a light on it, and I've heard that will attract the fleas and they will stick to the tape. Just another trick to try...

They can hide in soooo many places....I really hope you have someone that can keep your birds while you treat your home...
    Last edited by joseNme; 05-31-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

No pet other than the cockatiel. Never have allowed any furry creatures into the house. Just the neighbors on both sides of the house that have multiple dogs. They are all tweakers so I am sure that they never use any sort of flea treatment on their pets.

While the professional treatment is probably a good idea, I do not see that happening anytime soon. Does anyone know what I could get from home depot to put on the lawn/other places outside likely to be harboring fleas?

Any ideas on keeping their fleas out of the house?

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

With the borax: You need to fully cover the carpet, and let it sit for a few hours. Then vacuum it up. Do this every couple of days. It will kill all the fleas in the house. But if they continue to be tracked in, you will just have to keep up all treatments.

If your neighbors are tweakers, they probably aren't taking good care of the dogs. You can try calling (anonymously) the humane society and such, but that will only help if they are actually doing something wrong, like harm, negligence, etc.

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

negligent most likely yes... One of the neighbors has a pit bull and a wiener dog. At least 2 or 3 times a day the pit bull attacks the wiener dog. I can't tell if there are any bites or injuries from this, but it sure is frustrating.

My moms neighbors used to have a pit bull that would do the same to a small dog that also belonged to her neighbors. One day I was informed that the pit bull bit the smaller dog into left and right halves.

Do you think that the Borax is safe to apply while the bird is in the room? I tried to put him in my bedroom while I was cleaning his room and he apparently was not very pleased with that arrangement.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I would put him in the other room. You don't want him to ingest it. Yes, he will be angry, but he will get over it.

I'd rather have a temporarily angry bird, then a bird harmed by the flea removal.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Hartz makes a flea powder that you put on carpets and allow to sit for a while. If you have any outdoor & indoor mats by entry doors I'd recommend sprinkling those on both sides as well. I'd also suggest specially sprinkling in dusty places like corners and under furniture where there usually isn't much movement/traffic. Hartz also makes a flea spray. I used to use either (before I had birds) when our outdoor tom cat, George, was with us; he was positively infallible at bringing something in inspite of flea collars, drops, etc.).

This site looks like it might have some suggestions also: http://www.all-pets-info.com/fleacon...a-Control.html.

As for the dogs and fighting, you should be able to call your local police department if they have any animal control staff or your local ASPCA. Hopefully one or both could help.
    Last edited by SandraK; 06-01-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: additional info

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

What is a "tweaker"?
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

someone that uses a drug such a meth and then stays up all night working on their car/in the garage/working on the home etc, grrr.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

There are flea sprays you can buy from hardware stores as well, you can treat your yard with. My mother has 5 acres and in summer she has to spray down the yard, because even with advantage on all the dogs she still gets fleas. It comes in a spray bottle you hook up to your garden hose...

Inside you can use any number of carpet flea treatments, but yes you want the bird out of the room!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Monique
    Thanks

Sunbirdx....where do you get diatomaceous earth? I have heard of this before, but have never seen any place carry it! I would love to get that myself!!!

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Hope the fleas will go away soon... Vacuumed every area of carpet several times and have applied borax/baking soda as well as I can... Have tried to clean as many dust bunnies as possible from the rest of the house.

Also mowed the lawn down real low and did the back yard also...

Ordered some nematodes to put on the lawn. They will hopefully be able to parasitize most of the outdoor fleas.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

You can get diatomaceous earth from a health food/health supplements store and some garden/farm supply stores. Be sure it states that it is food grade; Do NOT buy the stuff for pool filters! That's the treated and crystallized form and is dangerous if inhaled (essentially it becomes powdered glass).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

Oh no, fleas are the WORST!!!! Natural Defense makes a carpet powder that works really well and its safe for children and pets. There is also a flea trap that really helps get rid of the bulk of them in a hurry, which is great, but it only takes a few left behind to multiply again. Good luck and be prepared to get a lot of flea bites and really take them on, or they will win. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

I'm doing lots of vacuuming and applying the borax to the carpet. There seem to be very few fleas remaining in the carpet.

But I am at something of a loss regarding the bathroom. There are no carpets or anything in there. I have cleaned in there several times. But it continues to be infested with fleas. I sprinkled some borax on the floor in there... Fleas just jump around in it... Vacuumed then mopped the floor in there. Cleaned the whole room as best I could... Applied some more borax in there and there are still tons of fleas in the bathroom.

Don't get why it is the worst part of the house.

This is so weird, I have never had anything like this happen before and we don't even have any cats or dogs. The neighbors have plenty of little fleabags apparently.

Remove Ads