where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting rid of fleas???

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Getting rid of fleas???

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I'm doing lots of vacuuming and applying the borax to the carpet. There seem to be very few fleas remaining in the carpet.

But I am at something of a loss regarding the bathroom. There are no carpets or anything in there. I have cleaned in there several times. But it continues to be infested with fleas. I sprinkled some borax on the floor in there... Fleas just jump around in it... Vacuumed then mopped the floor in there. Cleaned the whole room as best I could... Applied some more borax in there and there are still tons of fleas in the bathroom.

Don't get why it is the worst part of the house.

This is so weird, I have never had anything like this happen before and we don't even have any cats or dogs. The neighbors have plenty of little fleabags apparently.
    Is there a window in the area where you have fleas the most? Is it near the grass outside? That is all I can come up with.

Any dust, borax or other is not safe around a bird, their air sacs. So make sure he is not near when you dust. I would wear a mask myself, your lungs are at risk too. Any dust I would take a precaution.

Make sure your bird isn't scratching, and take a close look at his cage for little fleas.

Mow your grass to short, and treat front and back outside. Maybe the dept. of health can help you? What a major bummer.

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Yeah there is a window to the backyard in the bathroom. I think I will try to seal up any cracks around the window/frame... Weird thing is that I haven't noticed more than 1 or 2 fleas outside yet...

I read that flea eggs need a lot of humidity so I am going to stop using the shower in there(we have one in our toy hauler, fortunately). I also built a dehumidifier and placed it in there. First reading for humidity in the bathroom was 59%... Like 20% higher than the rest of the house!

Also going to set some humane traps for any critters that may be bringing fleas to the backyard. Have seen skunks or possums back there before.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah there is a window to the backyard in the bathroom. I think I will try to seal up any cracks around the window/frame... Weird thing is that I haven't noticed more than 1 or 2 fleas outside yet...

I read that flea eggs need a lot of humidity so I am going to stop using the shower in there(we have one in our toy hauler, fortunately). I also built a dehumidifier and placed it in there. First reading for humidity in the bathroom was 59%... Like 20% higher than the rest of the house!

Also going to set some humane traps for any critters that may be bringing fleas to the backyard. Have seen skunks or possums back there before.
    I don't think you can trap and release the critters and not expose yourself to fleas as you are doing this. I would not trap them, because there will always be animals in your yard if you live somewhere where they roam. I would remove your clothing after being outside and put them in the washer. That is what I do as I live where there are rabbits and quail. So I have seen what appears to be fleas outside and get bites from them. I never see them biting me either. This has now stopped, I think it was before the heat wave. But I always removed clothing in the room by the outside where the washer is so the clothes do not carry fleas or bugs into the house. I have never had a problem with them in the house.

Try that method. Are you sure they are fleas? They are hard to see. Are you being bit?

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Am I sure that they are fleas? Of course. Pretty difficult mistake to make.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Am I sure that they are fleas? Of course. Pretty difficult mistake to make.
    If you are so sure why don't you share with the rest of us who are not so sure?

I am not so sure what is biting me, and I don't see anything. But we do have lots of birds, and critters outside. Also, cringe, packrats. That is life, what can you do? I was reading about them just now and they say put socks on your shoes when you go outside to see if they are present. That is where i get my bites in the ankles and lower legs.

Now I am really itchy, I got 3 new bites, and I thought they were gone. It happens at night, so it could be mosquitoes for all I know. Good luck to us all. Are you getting bit?

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Well, flea problem in the house is much better. There are practically none left in the bathroom. I found a small crack in the wall near the bathtub where I suspect the fleas were coming in and I sealed it.

Have vacuumed the carpet in the house and I still find a couple on me a day but its not like they are jumping all over me all the time like before...

I think there are definitely lots of fleas outside, probably mostly coming into the house rather than living/reproducing in here.

Yesterday I was out in the back yard and got ambushed by fleas like mad. I really can't decide if I should use some insecticide in the back yard or not. There are usually birds hanging out back there and don't want to kill them as well.

Could order some more nematodes but they are not very efficient in cost per sq foot. About $20 for 300 sq foot and the back yard is easily like 2000sq ft. Also don't know how well they work yet.

Thanks

Our dog had fleas couple of years ago. We had to use drops and flea killing spray to solve this problem. All products for fighting such pests contain chemicals so you have to use it carefully. In order to avoid the flea infestation process, it is better to take regular preventive measures which are described in a blog I've visited. There are also some tips on how to move fleas from the house so it might be useful.
    Last edited by Kiara; 07-19-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Do it one more time. THis is a thread EIGHT YEARS OLD

Thanks

This blog really helped me out when our dog had fleas. Hope it will come in handy.
    Last edited by Kiara; 07-19-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: YOU TO. FIRST WARNING.

Name
    fmoosl
    Thanks

Oh wow!!! That is NOT good at all. I suggest getting your whole yard treated for starters. I also suggest that you have a friend or relative take the birds for a bit and have your house professionally treated.

It needs to be treated with something that contains IGR, Insect Growth Regulator...I believe it means. This will kill any hatching larva and eggs that are in your home.

Remove Ads