Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New chirp - what does it mean?

Binki has started a new type of chirping, she is making sounds that remind me of a squirrel. any clue what this new chirp means?

Also, a major increase of normal sounding chirping in the mornings now.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: New chirp - what does it mean?

Don't know where you're located but could it be related to a change of season or difference in daytime hours? The other possibility is that she's growing up. Is she standing flat w/her crest down and cheep-cheep-cheeping without doing anything else? Or if you scritch her does she do that? Could be that she's looking for a mate or she considers you "the one".

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hmm. My bird makes a noise that I call the chipmunk noise... sounds like a cartoon chipmunk fussing at someone who stole their nuts or something. He started making it after a year old... he also just picked up a chirpywhine ... birds version of a dog whining. They are just noises he heard on TV... and he liked em.

Thanks

She was standing with her chest down yesterday and "cheeping" but she does it at other times too.

She is getting a lot more day light than before. She gets to spend time in the sun at our new place.

I have a funny feeling that she is looking for a mate. Maybe it's time to get her a boyfriend? Don't want any babies though.......

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hehe if she is posturing she probably already picked one, you.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Yup Tibby, I agree with Marie, it sounds like you've been picked as a mate and your tiel is probably wondering why you haven't caught on.

Indie does that with me even though we have two male tiels - she wants nothing to do when them and apparently the feeling is mutual. I guess I am "the one" for her.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

She'll get along just fine without a boyfriend!

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Thanks

Is that what all the chirping in the morning is about too? I can't figure out what she wants. It's driving me nuts! We're talking three to four hours of chirping non stop.....millet used to distract her but now she just chirps while she is eating the millet!

Thanks

She is still chirping - it's been going on since 6am. I am getting her a boyfriend.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If you get her a boyfriend you are going to have eggs, fertile ones.

Or, you're going to end up with two tiels that hate each other... and need two cages and potentially have two noise issues instead of one.

You can control her hormones by not making it seem like spring.

Give her longer nights via a cage cover.
    Don't give her lots of excess food in her cage, feed her small amounts. throughout the day.
    Less fresh foods.
    Change her cage around more often (rearrange perches etc).

My male chirps in the morning until he can er... please himself. Then he sings for a few minutes and then he is OK. If he can't, he screams.

You could try getting her something to rub against, a soft perch or a stuffed animal...

If she is just getting to the age where she is going through hormones it is normal for them to make more noise and be really annoying, but she'll get over it. This is basically puberty. My bird got over it in about a month... with a little training. Until then, he screamed like a mad man for hours on end.

Is it just chirping, like singing or soft chirps, or is she screaming?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    If you get her a boyfriend you are going to have eggs, fertile ones.

Or, you're going to end up with two tiels that hate each other... and need two cages and potentially have two noise issues instead of one.

You can control her hormones by not making it seem like spring.

Give her longer nights via a cage cover.
    Don't give her lots of excess food in her cage, feed her small amounts. throughout the day.
    Less fresh foods.
    Change her cage around more often (rearrange perches etc).

My male chirps in the morning until he can er... please himself. Then he sings for a few minutes and then he is OK. If he can't, he screams.

You could try getting her something to rub against, a soft perch or a stuffed animal...

If she is just getting to the age where she is going through hormones it is normal for them to make more noise and be really annoying, but she'll get over it. This is basically puberty. My bird got over it in about a month... with a little training. Until then, he screamed like a mad man for hours on end.

Is it just chirping, like singing or soft chirps, or is she screaming?

Well I have two cages, I had three but I gave one to my neighbor, who still has not put her poor birds, who are stuffed into tiny little cages, into but that is another thread ...........

She is sleeping now thank goodness! She isn't screaming she just chirps loudly every two to ten seconds. It sounds like she wants something. She even keeps up the chirping while she is eating and getting scritches. I have tried everything to distract her and nothing seems to work.

I bought her a little stuffed animal and she is terrified of it - he now guards the stove.

She hasn't lived in her cage since we moved her. I finally got her off the shelf and onto the playstand on top of her cage. She won't sleep in her cage anymore she likes sleeping on the playstand. We are getting the new cage today maybe she will just have to tough it out and sleep in the cage. She doesn't start the chirping until I get up though - she waits for me to wake up. (Thank God)

I don't want her to spend her life in a perpetual "winter" and I want her to be happy. I am afraid that she will not get along with a new male and we'll end up with babies. I've read that getting them a friend stops the noise.... I work at home, I have to have quiet! Maybe she needs some bird love? We may just end up with a "man" in the house. LOL
    Last edited by tibby; 06-08-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Sounds like my male when he went through hormones... he screamed though, not chirped. But he'd scream while eating, scream while being rubbed, scream while out, scream while in... he was just a screaming monster.

Is she by chance just hitting the year mark, or around there?

Training stopped his screaming. I documented it in a thread under Me VS Screamer. It started at about a year old, he was also molting at the time. He was miserable.

It depends on what is causing the noise - if it is loneliness, yes getting a friend can help. But, if there is another cause for it... it won't and can potentially the other bird will mimic, especially a male! And if you work at home, I doubt she is doing it for attention or because she is lonely. Her still doing it while getting scritches leads me to believe that further.

Also, if she has already chosen you as a mate... there are a couple people here who have males and their females won't look at them cause they already picked their mate.

There is also no guarantee she'll enjoy the other bird, they are like people... if the personalities don't mesh, then she won't like him. If she does like him and you get a male, you will have to worry about eggs and babies if they are housed together.

The question for getting another bird should be do YOU want another bird? A single bird can be fine - especially with you being home all the time. A second bird will be more food, more attention spread out, more time given to the birds, more potential behavior issues.

If you want another bird, go for it... I am by no means against two birds. I just want to be sure you are aware of all the potential issues and that there is no guaranteed quick fix to a bird behavior issue.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice Marie.

They told me she was four to six months old when I got her in Feb, so that would make her 9 to 11 months old now.

Binki does not lack for attention - maybe it's just not the kind she wants......

No, I personally do not want another bird. One is fine with me. I read your Me Vs the Screamer post. We'll give it a try tomorrow. I certainly do not want two screaming birds or two that don't get along. I just thought that birds must always be happier with another one of their kind around. I just want Binki to be happy.
    Last edited by tibby; 06-08-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

A solo bird can be quite happy - honestly it is better to try to solve the single birds issue if you don't want another bird.

My male started rubbing on me, yelling out the window, screaming his head off and generally going nuts at about the same age your girl is.

Hormone phase. It may go on a few weeks, but she WILL get over it, I promise you. A little training will keep her from thinking the behavior is acceptable.

I only have one bird. He is quite happy, now. He spent about 2-3 weeks in his hormone phase, screaming and being upset. Now he flies around the house, runs around talking to me and he has accepted that I am not his sexual mate. He still thinks of me as his mate and gives me special attention, but his sexual attentions are now for his "special toy" and a mirror toy near it that I let him have outside the cage only.

Think of it as birdy PMS.

Name
    Alexa
    Thanks

My tiel is doing the same thing....for weeks now she's been making whiny chipmunk noises constantly (it's driving me crazy!) while sitting on the cage floor a majority of the day. She has her chest down and her tail area pressed against the cage bars, and it's always in one corner. Problem is, she doesn't have another bird around, but I don't think she sees me as a "mate" persay, because she hisses at me whenever I go near the cage, then puts her crest down, and tries to bite if I put my hand in when she's on the floor. Yet, whenever I leave the room, she contact calls like crazy, and she's fine when I take her out of the cage. Sometimes I can't tell whether she likes me or is annoyed with me.
    She's two or three years old. Do you guys think it's the same thing?
    Last edited by TheDragonCael; 06-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

The hissing while in the corner is her saying "this is mine, stay away" ... it is just territorial behavior, they would fight over a toy with another bird the same way.

The corners are usually where they go if they want a safe spot, maybe something is scaring her? Something change in the room? Or maybe she is thinking its a nice place to build a nest?

Is she showing any nesty behavior... like shredding paper etc?

Thanks

Well it's been a week - two to go......I'll see if I can find a "special toy" for Bink, maybe she just doesn't like yellow.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Some birds pick perches, some pick parts of the cage, some pick toys, some pick water bowls... food bowls... they all have different preferences.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

my bird likes her water bowl.... when i get home tomorrow ill post you a youtube vid of her "doing it"... she takes no interest in my male what so ever, she just wants to love all over her water dish..

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Thanks

She is quiet today. She is sitting on my shoulder grinding her beak. Not a peep so far this morning. Maybe the new cage has distracted her.....

Thanks

No chirping all day - new cage must have kept her occupied. Hopefully it will last a few more days...........

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Maybe her chirping was due to an uneasiness with her old cage?

Glad she has been quiet.

Thanks

Not sure but that is a possibility. She has been chirping a little this morning but nothing like before. Now that I think of it, we did have an "incident" with the old cage. I had it placed too close to the air conditioner when we first moved here. I moved her in the middle of the night one time so she wouldn't be cold. After that, she was sleeping on top of the shelves and wouldn't go in her cage at night. I just realized those two incidents might be related today when you mentioned her maybe being uneasy with her old cage. Poor thing! I bet I scared her when I moved her that time. She has slept inside her new home (with the door open) for the last two night and seems to have taken ownership of it - spreading her wings - Batman style LOL

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Middle of the night earthquake and suddenly in a different spot, I can understand how she might uneasy hehe

Glad she likes the new cage.

Thanks

Well it wasn't the cage. She's chirping like her life depends on it now. Seemed to help when I put her up high somewhere. I also tried to trim her toenails (got two) every time she went on a chirping binge, maybe if she associates nail trimming with constant chirping she'll stop! She did ease up on the chirping after that and now she is quiet. I was giving her millet before to distract her and I may have been training her to chirp.

No more of the new chipmunk chirp - maybe she's decided that she doesn't want a mate that tries to trim her toenails!