Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

how to set up the perfect cockatiel cage?

Hello!

As I already posted in the instruction section Iam getting ready for our first cockatiel.

We have a biiiig cage right now and thats it. So we are looking into all the different things we could buy or get to make it a paradise

What do you think is a MUST HAVE?

I saw a lot of nests and bedding for birds. if i only get one bird should i get one or no? i read that they dont get into baby making moods if they dont have one .. so what shall i do?

Back in the day I had birds and had been told that the best thing i could do are branches from the nature. is it true? or shall i rather buy some? also I cant find any information if pine trees are poisonous or not and they are just extremly common around here.

which kind of toys do your birds love?

and also very important: how did you find your bird?
    we are looking very hard to find a good match but its very difficult to find them around here
    thank you for every hint

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: how to set up the perfect cockatiel cage?

1) MUST haves are toys, several perches of varying sizes, food and water bowls (how many depends on how many birds).

2) Nests are not needed - if your solo bird ends up being female a nest will just encourage her to lay eggs.

3) Branches are the favored perch. Natural wood branches are sold in stores as well if you are not comfortable making them yourself. You can also get a few different types of perches - different textures/materials/sizes are best for birdy feet to keep them healthy.

4) Pine is listed as SAFE for bird perches. Do not use pine bedding or anything, the dust is unsafe. But, as a perch it is fine. You need to properly sterilize anything from outside though. I believe people on the home-made toys section tend to strip the bark and bake/freeze their wood.

5) My bird LOVES shredder toys. Paper, vine rope, vine wreaths, vine balls, anything he can utterly destroy. Paper, toothpicks etc are also favorites. You can go to a home made bird toy site and buy a lot of materials for a lot cheaper than store-bought toys and my bird HATES anything from a store, so I found making my own was best after $100 wasted on toys he never plays with.

6) I searched for a breeder that was appropriate (that I didn't think would be a hoarder/backyard breeder/mill/person who just didn't care) - the breeder I found was a member of a breeding society (good), had pictures of his kids with the birds (good) and claimed his birds were "part of the family" and he was responsible for their well being on his site... soooo my bf drove 4 hours, out of state, to get my birdy from this guy.
    He had a lot of tiels, ranging from 9 weeks to 6 months. Several of them tried biting me, but then we got to my little white face and he climbed right up on my shoulder and sat there. So I took him home.

I wanted to adopt, but the adoption place had rules that didn't fit in with my schedule... had to drive out there at least 4 times to visit (it was hours away), take a class out there (so 5) on bird care. And they had to do a home visit before you could take the bird home (so 6 times out there) - I have no car, so just wasn't feasible!

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

I would suggest you take Bird Talk Magazine. It's GREAT, easy to read/understand. THey feature different speices every month. THey have a cockatiel person who regularly answers 'tiel problmes. It's just a realy good learning tool.

I would also suggest you get some books on cockatiels. If your local pet shops does not carry a good supply I suggest http://www.abebooks.com GREAT prices!

Next I would suggest you join your "local" bird club. What better way to have hands on help when/if you need it. You will learn who the better avian vets are and who to stay away from. You will meet all the local breeders. As a member of your local club you well find out when the local bird marts/fairs are. When the "local" bird shows (exhibitions) are. What your local goverment is trying to do to limited bird ownership and breeding of pet birds, etc. EVERYONE counts in helping to keep this at bay!!!

Thanks

thank you so much! I will check that toy homepage out and already orderd a few books and am waiting for them to arrive. I used ebay and the person I bought them from just wont sent them ... its really frustrating!

I found 2 breeder in this area ... well both are over 2 hrs away. The breeder around here didnt have cockatiels. one breeder just didnt seem to be right right for me and the other one didnt answer me in a while so i dont know whats up.

I looked up bird clubs though and will call the one around here in a bit. maybe they even know a good breeder!

thanks sooooo much!

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Different size perches are definitely a must & toys too. The toys my tiels like the most are those made out of straw or wicker that they can chew on. I've also found a couple of straw or alfalfa grass items in the small rodent (guinea pig) section that I've attached inside my cages as something for them to climb into/onto and chew.

There is a specific woven straw toy that looks like a tube and is fairly large. It's supposed to be for macaws & bigger birds to chew on. I found the tiels like it as a perch and a chewable item. Though they also like the smaller plastic hanging things that have bells, beads or small mirrors on them. I'll try & take a couple of pix of the stuff in the tiels cage & attach it for you to see what I mean.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

http://www.busybird.com/ is where I got my bird toy supplies from btw... they have good prices and flat rate shipping.

Oh, another really good must have toy is a ladder.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Also use all levels of the cage. People say that cockatiels don't use the bottom half of a cage. Of course they won't if there is nothing of interest to them down there. My cage is 4ft high and the 3 birds use every inch of it. Observe your bird, what it seems interested in the most and adjust accordingly.
    I also have one who is not interested in toys at all but loves different perches, so a perch she loves is down there too.

Cockatiels can be prone to night frights. One of mine is so all my toys and perches are placed for a clear falling path from where she normally roosts.
    I use a night light which has lessened this for her. Others prone to them prefer to be covered, it is a matter of trial and error, should this occur.

DON"T do what I did. I put a play gym on the cage floor thinking this would be wonderful. She had her first night fright, became tangled in it, lost all flight feathers both sides and had abrasions. I had never even heard of night frights and my panic brought me here to tailfeathers where I learned sooooo much.

Thanks

a nightlight? what a cute idea! and that works?
    we choose a place that is connected to lively areas of the house but we wont pass it unless we want to say hi to the bird. he can watch us though.
    also that part of the house is surrounded by a biiig area of grass and nothing else. so there wont be light form cars or people walking around which should be a good start.

so i will get different size branches and disenfect them by putting them into the oven, get food and water dishes plus a water bottle so he can get used to it in case we ever have to travel/move, food of course and different treats and veggies to see what he likes plus a few toys so i can see what he likes ones he is settled in and adjust to that ... right?

btw we made our decision yesterday. in 13 days a most likely male pearl cockatiel baby will move in with us. im excited!

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Night lights do work, for some birds. My bird I finally found out has to be covered, except a tiny tiny slit of light at the bottom of his cage.

Any loud noises, a cat meowing, a dog barking can set a bird off (until they are used to it). When they do have night frights you turn a light on, uncover them if they are covered and talk to them. Do not open the cage until they calm down a bit, if you do they'll just slam all over the house and that is more dangerous than their cage.

My bird also will NOT go to sleep unless I stay in the room with him until he falls asleep. Just like a little kid... I have to feed him his dinner, fresh water, change his papers, cover him slightly then talk to him til he gets sleepy... then sit there quietly til he is all the way asleep. If he hears me walk away before he's asleep, he'll scream.

You can move their toys/perches around every month or so too, that way things change. My tiel will get bored of his cage, then I rearrange it and he's suddenly all over his toys again cause they are in new spots.

Make sure you add a few different texture perches, as well as size. Rope perches are a very big hit usually. That way they can exercise their feet and avoid sores.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I have removed rope perches as well as all that cotton stuff that hangs off toys after reading about tiels that ingest it, it masses in their gut and they die.

One of my tiels loved it soo much, was always chewing at it. Necropsy pic in a newsletter from an Avian vet changed all that.
    I think it can account for a lot of unexplained deaths where birds just seem to stop eating and fade away.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dona
    Thanks

Hi.
    We have had our cockatiel about 18 months. He was 3 months old when we got him.
    These are some of the things we found;
    1> to control the mess, his food/water cups are near the bottom of the cage, but he likes them there. We have 2 cuttlebone holders -- one down low, one higher up on the opposite side. He may ignore either or both for weeks at a time, then sometimes favors one or the other...Also different lengths and widths of perches at different heights.

2> During the day his cage is located where he can see us in the family room and/or in the kitchen. At night, we move the cage (its on wheels) to another room on the other side of the kitchen...to get him away from the conversation and TV...but he can still hear us a little if we talk too loud or wash dishes. So we got one of those white noise sound machines that we turn on when we cover him...it seems to soothe him and muffles the sounds of the TV and us moving around.

3> We cover him at night, but leave about a 2-3 inch gap in one corner and have a night light in the room.

4> He WILL remind us if we forget the nightight, the cover, or the sound machine.

5> WE made a 6-inch by 6-inch by 6-inch (2 sides and a top) cover for one corner of the cage that is on (the outside) all the time in the daytime. We have a perch mounted up near that on the inside. Chrissy likes to nap under there, or goes and "hides" there when the lawn mower, weed wacker, etc get too close outside the window.

6> Chirssy will explode his whole cage, including the bottom on occasion. Sometimes, not for weeks, sometimes he is real quiet and we look over and he is walking all around "inspecting" the bottom grate. LOL!!!

7> He sleeps in the same 1 or 2 places every night. Before we cover him we put half a paper towel OVER the bottom grate under his favorite sleeping places. In the morning, his giant wake-up poop lands on the paper towel. When we uncover him and put in fresh food, we discard the soiled paper towel and he has a clean fresh cage for the day, without us being late for work. (we clean the cage quickly every night while he is out, right before his bedtime, so in the morning, the cage is clean except for under his sleep perch).

8> Best cage tray liner -- I go to the local party discount store and buy a huge roll of white butcher paper. It costs about $25, but our cage is 24x24 and they havea roll that is 24-in wide. One roll lasts almost a year- we change the paper EVERY DAY !! I cut about one week's worth of papers at a time, and line the cage tray. Every night, we roll up the top sheet. better than paper towels because it is somewhat water proof -- doesn't soak through all the layers if he flaps in his water dish. Also, takes several paper towels to make one layer, and when he does flappies, those kept blowing around and not serving the intended purpose. the single sheet stays in place.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I use newspaper, even cheaper.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I use white printer paper, cause my bf gets it for free from his job

Anything safe and non-toxic works though. Just not GLOSSY newspaper if you use newspaper.

Thanks

awesome! thank you soooo much for all the tips and hints

and sorry for not answering earlier but my computer had an issue and wouldnt work for a while. I got a lot of stuff for the birdcage by now, thanks to your hints
    and birdy will move in tomorrow! im sooo excited!

I will try to take a picture of the cage later after im completely done setting it up so maybe you can give me some last minute hints

but again thank you sooo much!

Thanks

im sorry, I didnt get to take pictures yet. but the birdy moved in today and boy does he have guts! 10 minutes after arriving home he ate already, he moves around the cage even on the bottom of it! and whistles to us .... its like he is tryin to get our attention ... im amazed

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hehe congratulations on the outgoing little guy