Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: how do I get my lovebird to eat fresh foods?

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

how do I get my lovebird to eat fresh foods?

Ok, so I've had Kiwi for a little over a week now. He's a medium green peach faced lovebird, hand raised and weaned onto broccoli, corn, carrots and multi-grain bread. However, I cannot get him to eat any of that. I've tried preparing it in several ways. I steamed the veggie, gave them to him raw, put them on a kabob stick, and cut it up small.. all with no luck. Right now I have him on ZuPreem Avian Entrees Garden Goodness mix. It's a pellet mix with red and green peppers, peas, tomatoes, and apples. I also have Tropimix Cockatiel and Lovebird Mix. I'm not sure which food is better for him, and I've run out of ideas on how to get him to eat fresh stuff. I've tried Raspberries, blackberries, mango, red pepper, broccoli, corn, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, kiwi... all with no luck at all!

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

HungryBird Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: how do I get my lovebird to eat fresh foods?

Have you tried mixing the fresh food in with whatever food he eats? If he likes the pellets you could try mashing up the veggies and mixing it in with the pellets. Or just chop the veggies up into tiny pieces. I bake muffins for my birds that have lots of veggies and other fresh things in them. I bet Kiwi would eat a corn meal muffin with some of his favorite pellets/seeds as sprinkles on top no matter how many healthy veggies you put in! It also helps a lot if you have another bird that eats everything because then Kiwi will try new things as well. Also my cockatiels do not like fruit. They will eat honeydew melon and sometimes apple. My girl will also eat grapefruit. But they both eat every veggie they can!

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I guess just keep trying. You can't actually shove the food down its throat, it has to want to eat it.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hang some fresh broccoli in his cage like a toy, he might peck at that.

Also, pretend to eat the food before you give it to him. Or actually eat a piece if you like it. He'll know it's ok then.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

What I did to get my guys to try veggies was to offer them first thing in the morning, when they're hungry. Give them nothing but the fresh food for a few hours in the morning, then change to their preferred food (so if they don't try the veggies, they won't starve). After a hungry morning or two they may give it a try.

I also found that because my guys were used to a seed/pellet mix, having the vegetables chopped down to a similar size (bite-size) was helpful. Stuff like peas or corn is already conveniently sized

.....Abu......Rafiki...... Zuri.....

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

My lovies like things they can chew and play with carrots I slice into strips they also love pomegranate seeds and baby sweetcorn slices I got mine eating by putting sugarcane strips on top of there seed once they realized they could play with it they kept wanting more and more things to try. The all time fav is carnation flowers they chew the stalks and petals till nothing is left. Every bird is different though my lovies were easy my cockatiel is a stubborn.. I guess the best advice is just persevere.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

They sure are strange.
    All you can do is keep trying different ways to present them.
    Chopped, diced, sliced, ground up, cubed. In dishes, bowls, on plates, hanging. In your mouth. Not that a lot of people will agree with a bird eating from your mouth.
    Location can also be a key. That is on top of what has already been said. They do sometimes seem to eat when we do. So eating in front of them, can work.

Now here is something. I have had Dexter for coming on two years and I always or nearly always have apple on top of his cage for him. I have only ever seen Henry try a bite.
    Today I put half an apple on a post on one on the branches. Broccoli on one and apple on the other. I am outside and I look up to see at least three of the Tiels eating it. I swear it's a strange old world. So you just never know what may turn them on. Do not give up, even if it takes years. One day they just may try and go Wow that's worth eating.
    A week is a very short time when trying these things.

I am sure there are a large number of bird owners who just give in. Which is not a good scenario.
    Last edited by clawnz; 09-16-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

It could be that Kiwi is still settling in and not quite comfortable yet. If he was eating those things before, he will again. Like Dandalyon said, try feeding only fresh in the morning before offering seed when he is very hungry. Clawnz is right about trying in different places and not giving up. My Snitch completely ignored most fruit and veggies the first few times I put it in her cage. Particularly in the first couple of weeks when she was settling in. Apple she ignored 8 times. Ignored the first couple of times I sliced it very thin and placed it in a clip, ignored the chunks in her treat dish. Ignored when I grated it. Then, one day I was eating an apple and sliced a very thin bit off and put it in a clip on the side of her cage and she went over and ate half of the slice in one sitting. Snitch tends to prefer things sliced a millimeter or two thick and held in the clip on the side of her cage so its held steady while she chews at it. I think the thin slices allow her to get her little beak around it easier to take a bite, too. Carrot was the same way. Blueberries she has just started eating after I tried a bunch of times for the last three months! Once she decides she likes a food she doesn't hesitate from that day forward to eat it every time. I leave some in there before work and try to give something different when I get home. Variety is the spice of life! My Snitch also LOVES a thin slice of jalapeno pepper (no seeds) too - it's fragrant and spicy and flavourful, so that may be a good incentive to eat! Beware the raspberries - I mashed some in with some seed to get her to try it (ignored it a few times before that) and she finally tried it and loved it so much she took mouthfuls of it and shook her head with glee while eating - I ended up with raspberry spatter stains on my white curtains and every surface in a 3 foot radius of her cage. lol

I would keep having the food available - he will come around eventually, and in the meantime the pelleted diet should be balanced enough that he's not going to starve himself.

Keep us updated when something works!

Thanks

Are they eating vegetables now?

Remove Ads