Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    El
    Thanks

Unhappy Budgie having seizures

Hi all,

I posted about 6 months ago about my sick budgie Pinch and got lots of helpful advice. He seemed to get better in fact. But now reading that birds are good at hiding illness, I think that is what has been going on. We left town for a week and my neighbor took care of both budgies. Just last Friday, Pinch started falling to the floor of his cage and seemed to be having a seizure. His head would go backwards and he would flail on the floor of his cage. When he recovers from the seizure he eats and drinks normally but seems tired. They put some stiff paper on the grate floor of his cage so he couldn't get his wings or legs stuck. He has a hard time keeping steady on his perch, but is not hanging out on the floor of his cage. This morning he had several, but hasn't had any since. My neighbor called the vet on Friday and the vet said there was really nothing they could do. They advised keeping him warm and giving him some vitamins. I'm a little peeved that that is all they said. I am back in town and will call the vet tomorrow, and possibly some other ones to see if I can get in for them to see him. I feel so bad for him. Has this happened to anyone before? I separated the two birds because Nipsy the other budgie is picking on him. But she does NOT like being in another cage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure our vet is going to be very helpful.

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: Budgie having seizures

im sorry this is happening
    i have had some experience with seizures in birds
    i acquired a beautiful violet budgie from a reputable breeder and in transporting her home she had a seizure
    then a few days later she was sitting on her perch with her brother and she just fell down had another seizure and died
    it was awful...but the vet said that there really was little to be done...she was young...only about 6 or 7 weeks
    theyre so tiny and vulnerable
    i hope yours stays well but i think the vet might be right....i know it absolutely sucks ...hugs to you

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

You should be taking your bird to a AVIAN vet. Avian medicine is a speciality subject in vet school. If your regular dog/cat vet did not take this side line of studies at vet school he/she is not going to be able to help your bird.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I knew a African grey who had seizures that were kept under control using medicine the avian vet gave to its owner. As long as she kept her bird on the meds it did go seizure free.

I am really sorry this is happening to your Pinch, it is so very hard when your bird isnt right and it must be just awful to see him do this. Big hugs to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    El
    Thanks

We took our Pinch to the vet yesterday and had him put to sleep. The vet observed him having several seizures and said there was really nothing that could be done. It was most likely a brain lesion and Pinch would probably go on his own in the next week or so. He had lost a lot of weight and seemed to be blind. The closest board certified avian vet was 3 hours away, and I knew Pinch wouldn't survive the car ride (he hated the car). We will miss our little Pinch. My daughter wants to have a funeral for him, so we are going to do that on Monday. Thank you for all your thoughts and advice. We still have Nipsy, and take comfort in her little life.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss.Though I know that it hurts us to have to put a pet to sleep even when we know it's the right thing for them, remember that Pinch is flying free and watching over you now.

Hormonal
    Thanks

it is so sad...these little lives that pass
    dont know...but it hits me hard when little things die...cos it can go unnoticed and im glad your kids are going to honour her little life...it is very important
    sorry for your loss...
    all part of this strange experience called 'life'

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss It is so hard to have to make the decision to have them put to sleep but really it is the last final loving thing we can do for them. Big hugs to you, it is so hard to lose them.

Fly free Pinch...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.