Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Maximum number of cockatiels for 32"x21"x34" cage?

I currently have 2 cockatiels in this cage: http://www.featherfarm.com/store/ind...products_id=57 , which is 32"W x 21"D x 34"H. I am wondering how many more cockatiels I could comfortably house in this cage (if any). I know there is no exact answer, so all opinions are welcome.

Thank you for your help!

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Maximum number of cockatiels for 32"x21"x34" cage?

Are they allowed out of the cage or are they kept in it at all times? I presently have 4 adult tiels & 3 babies in a cage which is 30 1/2 wide x 16 deep x 47 tall. However, the cage doors are opened in the morning and everyone goes to bed @ 8-8:30 p.m. During the day everyone roams free in the living/dining room area & on the 4 playstands in the area. I've noticed that they do take naps in their own cage or on top of it.

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

They are allowed out of the cage for several hours every day (usually the majority of the day on Saturdays and Sundays. On weekdays, they are out for 1-3 hours in the morning and for 4-7 hours in the afternoon, depending on the day). They usually roam on top of the cage during these times.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I would say you could add two or three more if they spend that much time out of the cage.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Hormonal
    Thanks

six maximum...at least thats what one breeder suggested but id say four max

depends like others have said if they get a lot of free time...if the cage is basically just for the night then six might be ok

you dont want too many perches but you need to allow the birds easy access to different perches ...so theyre not squashe up against each other///they need to be able to get away from each other
    also watch bullying and make sure there are at least two food dishes...sometimes a bully wont let the others eat

Thanks

These opinions really vary a lot. I thought 32W and 21D that was the minimum size for two. But maybe with that height I would add a maximum of two more, if they are outside for most of the day.
    Six really seems like way way too many.

Hormonal
    Thanks

height is important but the width is even more so
    the cockatiels need to be able to flap their wings and stretch and move around comfortably...dont crowd it up with toys that impede their movements
    it is better for them to play on a stand ...a modified perch will do...just tie natural branches in different directions to make sure they can pass each other and not get trapped

tiels will break their tails easily and of course you have to watch the nightfrights
    mine basically only go into a cage at sunset ...their bedtime

if your tiels live in the cage then you need to give as much room as possible..in that cage ...two is ideal for company provided theres no bossying ...and like i said..four is the limit for me.

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Thank you for all of the responses! I really appreciate your help

HungryBird Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think two cockatiels is really the max. My two cockatiels live in a similar sized cage and I would not add another cockatiel as I think it would become too crowded. I actually am considering building a bigger cage for the cockatiels (so cheap to do it yourself!) and putting the parakeets in the one the cockatiels are in now.

Here is a link to the model of the cage I have:

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDet...uctID=ELC_3222

The cage I have is 32 inches wide, 22 inches deep, and the inside height is 36 inches. The whole thing is 5 feet and 8 inches but I took the top triangle part off it so it is shorter. I am about eye level with the top of the cage and I am just under 5'5".

I think that it would be fine to have four parakeets or finches in the cage but I probably wouldn't put more than that. That is why I don't have more birds! I don't want everything to get crowded. But maybe I am oversensitive to these things. I don't think a cage smaller than the one I linked to is suitable for a cockatiel at all.

I'm torn between making my own cage and buying another cage just like the one I have and putting them next to each other. It's just that if I make my own cage I could not take it apart again and bring it with me if I move. The one I have can be unscrewed and broken down nicely. My parakeets would love one of those cages. They are always getting in trouble! Just so you know the cage I have weighs 80 pounds so it is not so easy to pick up and carry. It comes with wheels but of course I don't use them because I want the cage to stay put. Putting it together was lots of fun!

http://hungrybird.blog.com/