Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

Mixing Tiels and Doves?

Is it possible to mix them? anyone care to shed light on how a dove would be as a pet, mix or not? would a tiel get along, even out of cage with?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Mixing Tiels and Doves?

It is NOT recommended to mix species in cages.

Outside of cage, no idea.

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

thanks, i was only wondering. cuz some sources reccomend that but i wanted to make sure. thanks

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Outside of cage, I can see it working, inside of the cage though may be pushing the limits. I know my budgie and Tiel get along great in the same cage and preen each other all day long, but they are both parrots. I don't how much that helps but I think it does help some.

R.I.P Nikko.

Hormonal
    Thanks

ive seen all sorts of birds in very large aviaries...im talking BIG
    but otherwise id say no way
    not just bullying over food but the horrendous damage they can do to each other...id imagine a dove would come off second best

Brand New Egg
    Name
    beckie
    Thanks

what kind of dove are you thinking of? as these are soft billed it isn't recommended keeping them with hook bills unless you have a lot of space and the dove has an escape location, even then i would be very careful.

our dove is in the same room as some of the budgies/tiels so that he can see/hear them, but has his own large cage to live in, as he is single - he was when obtained - he is rather affectionate to humans (we haven't actually had him long, so i can only assume his breeder handled him regularly as it can take months-years to tame a diamond - i believe ring neck doves are easier to hand tame).

one of the big reasons we took on our dove was whilst in store he was being kept with canaries (it is quite common to keep diamonds with finches and canaries) however the canaries had stolen his tail feathers for nesting material (this i understand is one of the biggest risks of keeping diamonds with these species, and it can lead to the dove stressing - some people let their doves live with the canaries and finches but remove when they are nesting to avoid this).

therefor we did a lot of reading to see who they could and couldn't mix with (and like you found lots of contradictions) before we agreed to take on this wee fella and to be on the safe side give him a cage of his own.

we quite often let our tiels and budgies (of boths exes) out for communal play under supervision, and have never experienced any problems there (other than our male tiel being scared of the male budgies, for no apparent reason, when they go to land next to him!!!), we may with time let our diamond out with them but only under supervision, and to be honest as the diamonds spend more time on the floor of their cage finding seads etc i do not expect to find him sitting on the curtain rails with the rest of my flock - they are very different birds in character.

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

i was just being nosy, cuz ive heard you could. then again, ive seen quakers, conures, cockatoos, amazons, ring neck parakeets, mynahs and cockatiels all in one sorry looking aviary. and half the flock didnt look right. one molloccan cockatoo had a nasty looking sore on its belly and when i reported it to the zoo staff they said it was okay. uh, no not when its BLACK and clotted, thats not okay... stupid zoos. im not getting the dove, but i was thinking bout it cuz ive always liked doves. but i like tiels better so i guess id stick with them.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I have a confession to make. I let Bella live with Beauford (diamond dove). They have their own cages but they all crammed into one cage anyways - since I always leave the doors open they could pretty much go where they wanted to. So I went out and bought a big flight cage and let them mingle in it. I keep the door open at all times so Beauford can escape and he has a little cage to go into if he is in danger and Bella can't fit inside. So far they spend their days apart and their naps involve cramming into a birdie sandwich. They eat together and sunbathe together. The rest of the time they have little arguments over who gets what perch to sleep on and Beauford pushes poor Bella off of 'his' perches.

This was not an easy decision. I agonized over it for a while. Beauford was a softbill and Bella could rip his tiny little body apart if she really wanted to. Beauford is clearly the big man in the house and gentle Bella gets shoved around. I always (and still do) worry about what could happen if Bella got tired of being bossed around and bit back.

If there wasn't always someone around to supervise the two there was no way I would let them play together like this.

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

ya i decided not to but someone actually tried this... interesting to know thanks im actually getting a cockatiel most likely. some lady is getting rid of her male white faced pied for 75 so im gonna try to get him.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

I've had doves (Diamond and Ringnecked) and tiels together for many years. My adult male Ringneck is aggressive towards ANY other bird. The Diamond managed to avoid him, or torment him humorously, and they never hurt each other. The tiels were harassed by the Ringneck occasionally, but no injuries ever occurred. This is all while they were free but supervised. Definitely do NOT put tiels and doves in the same cage. Supervise them when they are free together. Other than that, it works quite well. L

P.S. Aggression by the tiels was never an issue. The tiels gave the Ringneck the respect he deserves, and were very gentle with the tiny Diamond.

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

i got a second tiel.... doves will do for aviary i want in far future.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Doves are great companions. My Ringneck is a really good friend!

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

i like doves.... but i found a tiel in need of a home and he's just.... something. but i do want to make an aviary one day, one for birds like doves and finches. just small birds. maybe an aviary of budgies that people didnt want.. sort of like a small scale rescue for smaller birds. even tiels too since they seem to be my bird. cuz so many people are trying to find homes for them in my area and not many people want birds here. i know some people who want them one day but arent ready now. and my boyfriend and i want to open a petstore one day, specifically catering to birds and chinchillas. its always been my dream to open an aviary, even if it was small. i'll make it more of a rescue aviary though... i think that'd work best.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dally View Post
    but i do want to make an aviary one day, one for birds like doves and finches. just small birds.
    Do be careful mixing doves and finches, as the finches can be bullies.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus808
    I've had doves (Diamond and Ringnecked) and tiels together for many years. My adult male Ringneck is aggressive towards ANY other bird. The Diamond managed to avoid him, or torment him humorously, and they never hurt each other. The tiels were harassed by the Ringneck occasionally, but no injuries ever occurred. This is all while they were free but supervised. Definitely do NOT put tiels and doves in the same cage. Supervise them when they are free together. Other than that, it works quite well. L
    Wow, I don't think my ringneck and diamonds would ever get along. My male ringneck thinks the female diamond doves are pretty, and tries to flirt, but the girls fluff up (from the other side of the bars) and get very upset. I just ordered a female ringneck to be a companion for him, though, so that might balance all of that out a bit.