where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help needed!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Evan
    Thanks

Help needed!!!

My wife and I got a lovebird. I don't like buying pets unless I've done some research, so I went online and learned that lovebirds love fruit in addition to their grain, they need a cage that's at least 1m x 1m x 1m, they need lots of perches and obstacles, they need lots of toys and things to play with, they need lots of social interaction, and they love to sunbathe.

Well, my wife and I play with it every night, and we also leave the radio on lightly while we're gone so it has some sound to listen to (I also read they like that), we gave it tons of toys, perches and swings, it's got a big cage by the window with not too much sun, but enough so it gets some nutrients, and we always keep it's food and water full and give it fruit. Yet despite our efforts, we always see it huddled in the corner when we come home from work with all the toys and obstacles knocked down like it went on a rampage, and it squawks like it's angry.

How do I tell when the lovebird is in a good or bad mood? And what are some things I can do to try and bond with it, or at least make it happy (was also told that birds don't always bond with their owners).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Name
    G
    Thanks

Re: Help needed!!!

They are very tempermental and can sometimes be one person birds. Have you tried to handle the bird?
    Try putting the cage on the floor and getting him to come out ( you should also have his wings clipped). You can teach him to sit on your finger and he will probably slowly bond to you.
    He is probably still adjusting to his new home. Also, it helps to cover their cage at night- they sleep better and feel more secure.
    Good luck!
    Tooey the Aracari
    Gussie the Timneh.
    Tanzi, Meyers
    Minnie the white-backed mousebird

Thanks

Just as an aside, I had read that sunlight filtered thru glass filters out the good stuff. I take my lovebird out in mixed sun or early evening light every so often in a small travel cage to get the real deal. But I always think its good not to have any animal in a dark place. Just be careful of the heat in Arizona.

Toys thrown down? Hah. One of my bird's favorite things is to pick up her jingle balls and toss them to the ground. Then I am supposed to pick them up for her. We repeat this for 20 minutes. She thinks its great fun.

In other words, it sounds like your bird is fine. Just be patient.
    We got lots of Ham here

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Heh, squawking when you come home is probably quite normal. You should hear the ruckus when I get home if I DARE go outside !

As for toys thrown on the ground, that means at least she isn't ignoring her toys when you are out. Which is good.

How long have you had her? Sometimes it can take months for a bond to form.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kibouchi View Post
    How do I tell when the lovebird is in a good or bad mood?
    Believe me, this will never be a mystery for you.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

When my lovie would play it was more like he was attacking the toys and not playing with them so maybe your lovie isnt mad, he is just playing rough like I know boomer did. Like Cheaps said they really do like to throw things around. boomer would charge his toys, growl, bite and then either toss or push the offending toy right to the ground. I think they like seeing things falling down and better yet they love to see you pick them back up so they can bash and throw them down again.

It takes time for them to become our friend and cuddle with us. If you are not doing it yet try opening your birds cage and letting him explore things outside of his cage. Lots of people here usually clip there wings right at first so they cannot fly so well because they are just too hard to train when they are fully flighted. Once your new bird gets used to being outside the cage they do seem to feel more at home with you.

If you lovie isnt eating fresh fruit try buying him some organic dehydrated fruits and vegetables and maybe he will like them better. My lovie loved dried papaya, rolled dates and pineapple and if you can find them dried peas were his favorite. Just tomatoes brand sells some super good dried fruits and vegetables that your bird will like and you will love, they are made for people but are also great for our birds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    G
    Thanks

Do we get to see a picture?
    Tooey the Aracari
    Gussie the Timneh.
    Tanzi, Meyers
    Minnie the white-backed mousebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Evan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aracari1 View Post
    Do we get to see a picture?
    I will try and post one soon. I don't have any good cameras in the house, and my phone camera isn't very good. We'll see!

Thanks for your advice, everyone! Much appreciated

Remove Ads