Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Sun Conure & Cockatiel?

Saw a beautiful little sun conure that I want to bring home! I was wondering how well I can expect him to get along with my cockatiel???

He(?) is very tame and so is my cockatiel (female). She flys free around the house and hopefully I would be able to let the sun conure do the same.

What do you guys think?

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Re: Sun Conure & Cockatiel?

They cannot be caged together, they will need seperate cages. You have to introduce them slowly and I would advise you to quarantine the new one. It is very possible they will get along but you never know, it’s hard to tell. Each bird is different. But place the cage side by side and then once they get to know each other by smell introduce them in neutral territory.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Hormonal
    Thanks

definitely not housed together and then do be careful during playtime
    i was told that conures lorikeets and even caiques...all the birds i was interested in can really for the more unassuming gentler tiels
    be careful
    theyre so quick...and if they go for the feet or beak it can lead to absolute disaster

Thanks

No, I would never house them together.

I'd like them to be friends. The conure is very sweet and gentle too. He was pulling on my earring yesterday but never hard enough to bother me. He dances too! He is so cute!!! He just seems like a really sweet bird. I read the they are all sweet when they are babies. What are that chances his personality would change as he got older? If he got aggressive, Binki would have problems.

I don't want either of them to have a roommate they can't stand. I did read about a GCC and cockatiel that were bonded. Anyone else have conures and cocktails that are friends?

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Not a sun & tiel but my male gcc, Beni, is friends w/my green Quaker, JJ, who is also friends w/Sonny (tiel dad). My blue Quaker, Baby, is friends w/Sonny. My female gcc, Loki, chases Baby as well as Theo, the quieter male tiel. Loki will also chase our newest Quaker, Daisy, if she gets too close. And the gccs do have a tendency to go for the tiels feet if given the chance.

Both Quakers & the gccs will chase Peeps & Indie, the two female tiels. I think it might be colour related because the birds that are chased are lutino, cinnamon & cinnamon pearl.
    The 2 boy Quakers, the 2 gccs & the 4 tiels have their own cages. Daisy is in her own cage for now as she's fairly new to the flock.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

It can happen but it won't necessarily. Quinn and Earl can be out together. They can be on the same cage top, eating the same food. But they don't really like each other, just tolerate each other. Earl can be very territorial about his cage while Quinn couldn't care less about his. So usually, I pop Earl on top of Quinns cage since Earls cage isn't set up like a play area.

They generally avoid each other but are okay for the most part.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info.

I am soooooooooooo tempted to go get him!!!

Anything I need to know about sun conures before I do?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Suns are known to be very loud, so if noise is an issue, I would not go for a sun.

Conures are known to be very nippy, so if you don't want to be bitten, again I wouldn't go for a sun.

I would google search and read up all you can on them before getting them.

They are beautiful and playful though, generally speaking... and I love them to death, but can't have one because my bf doesn't like loud noises and thinks my tiel is loud!

Thanks

I got him!! Turns out he is a jenday not a sun but who cares - isn't he a pumpkin?

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Well congrats on the new bird... what size cage is that? Hope they work out. Also since I really don't know anything about you (and there are a bunch of younger people here) please realize this is NOT an apartment bird (if you'll be living in one anytime soon.)
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Thanks

Cage is small but temp, new one is on the way.

I am in an apt - why is this not an apartment bird?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

They can be very loud, which is why it isn't recommended as an apartment bird.

Thanks

No worries there. My apt is the only one on this floor.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Ummm... that is a Sun Conure not a Jenday Conure.

Suns can be insanely loud at times. Oh man, when I still had Jasper living here and both boys got going together it was awful. Now, with just Quinn it is tolerable but Suns often scream just to scream. They do not make the best apartment birds because of this. And being the only apt on the floor doesn't mean that no one else will hear him. I can hear Quinn screaming easily from several houses away with all of my windows shut. They are LOUD. And they are not a species that is known for just boredom screaming. They scream because it's fun and they enjoy doing so. They are big time flock callers. They alarm call at the first sign of trouble. They just scream. To scream.

I adore my Quinn with everything in me and to me the personality far outweighs the screaming. But I do feel for my neighbors when Quinn gets going. Thankfully, I keep him busy enough that he doesn't have time to scream very often. But he does scream. Loud.

Suns tend to be major snugglers, which is why I wanted one in the first place. It's a great feeling to have a snuggly bird. They are no where near as nippy as other Conure species but still nippier than other parrot species in general. They tend to be laid back compared to your nippy, hormonal GCC's. I can place Quinn upside down on my lap and he'll just happily stay that way for several minutes.

They always want to be with their people as they are very social. I've yet to meet one that was independent and most are rather needy. Quinns favorite game is to sneak up on me. I'll put him on his playstand and wait for it. Within seconds he finds a way across the room and is a mere inch or two from my face, staring.

They are great birds but certainly are NOT for everyone. I highly don't recommend them to most people in fact. I
    Last edited by WyleeWhippets; 08-12-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

I thought he was a Sun too.. but they said he was a Jenday because his wings are green. Either way, he's my bird now. He hasn't screamed yet. I'll have to teach him not to scream.

He did come out for a minute this morning and flew right to me. Binki wigged out and started flying all over the house but she isn't traumatized by him being here - which is good.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    I'll have to teach him not to scream.
    Good luck.

Do you have any toys in the cage? What types and how many? How big is your new cage? What are you feeding him?

The color of the wings is not a true indication of the species. There are many mutations of sun conures, and it could even be a sunday. I'm not very well versed in my aratinga knowledge, but I know from talking to other breeders, their wings can differ in coloration.

Quite honestly, sounds like you should have done a little more homework before your brought it home.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Thanks

"Quite honestly, sounds like you should have done a little more homework before your brought it home."

Why becuase I won't give him a good home if he is a different breed than I originally thought? He has plenty of toys and the proper food. Right now he is eating some apple for breakfast. I am a very responsible person no need to worry about the bird, he will be well cared for and well trained.

Thanks

Well we just had out first bout of screaming! LOL Apparently, he does not like the broom. Covered his cage and he stopped immediately.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hehe it is nearly impossible to teach a sun not to scream. That is why I don't have one... but I could watch one play for hours, they are so cute!

You will probably have to learn to accept the noise level. As he gets more comfortable, he will probably scream. Broom screaming would be probably fear, but when they start screaming for fun...

You will want tons of toys and the like for him. They are very active, playful and intelligent. They get bored easily.

Now that you do have him, I would suggest learning all you can about the species. From what I read about them, they can be high maintenance (I was thinking of getting one, but decided against it), but worth every aggravation!

And I would agree with him being a sun - Jendays are a lot more green on the wings, less bright.

But he is a cutey!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

I thought he was a Sun too.. but they said he was a Jenday because his wings are green. Either way, he's my bird now. He hasn't screamed yet. I'll have to teach him not to scream.
    Wings look yellow to me from that pic. Looks like a Sun. And you can't just "teach him not to scream."

It's a species trait to scream. That is like me telling my Whippet not to chase a rabbit. They are simply screamers. Quinn would be considered very quiet for a Sun Conure and he is by no means quiet for some other species. There is a lot more to it than that.

"Quite honestly, sounds like you should have done a little more homework before your brought it home."

Why becuase I won't give him a good home if he is a different breed than I originally thought? He has plenty of toys and the proper food. Right now he is eating some apple for breakfast. I am a very responsible person no need to worry about the bird, he will be well cared for and well trained.
    Why? Because Suns are not good apartment birds and had you done a bit of research you might have thought twice before bringing him home and gotten a bird better suited to your lifestyle instead. Because you came on with a simple question of "Will it get along with my Tiel" and then went and got the bird before thinking about much of anything else it seems. Because Suns are not for everyone and rather than taking the time to make sure it is the species for you, you just went and got it anyway.

And... because you had to ask why it wasn't a good apartment bird AFTER you got the bird.

It's not that you *shouldn't* have gotten him. Just that it sounds like a lot more thought should have gone into it before you did. If you think you can just train him not to scream, you don't know enough about the species (it's species... NOT breed) yet. Aratinga Conures are loud. Suns in particular are known for being a species that screams because they enjoy it. You can provide all the toys in the world, all the play time in the world but the bird can still be a screamer. Heck, Quinn likes to scream while playing with his toys, lol. He'll hang upside down from them and chew for a minute then scream. Chew, then scream. He loves it.

Well we just had out first bout of screaming! LOL Apparently, he does not like the broom. Covered his cage and he stopped immediately.
    Covering the cage isn't always a good solution though. It might not work forever, either. There's more to it than that.

Thanks

The only thing I asked about on this board was whether on not he would get along with my cockatiel. I did that because people here have multiple species of birds that live together, that does not mean that I didn't do any other research. I did a massive amount of research on sun conures before I got him (then they told me he was a jenday). From the research I have done since, they are very similar. And FYI, nothing I read mentioned anything about them not being good apartment birds, that is why I asked for an explanation.

The only deal breaker was not getting along with Binki, I can manage all of the other things. His "screaming" wasn't too bad. Of course it could get louder, we'll have to see what happens. I'm confident that I can train him to behave well enough to live here. I work at home and all of the neighbors work out of the house. If he has a screaming attack every once in a while it won't bother anyone. I would never give him up because he screamed, I'd work with him until we got it under control - which from the research I have done, is definitely doable. If covering the cage doesn't work then we'll do something else. If I have to sound proof an area for him well then I'll do that. Every problem has a solution. I also have a large patio, if he wants to go outside and scream his head off then we can do that too. I have no doubt that I can handle him and he'll have a good life.

For anyone that is interested in whether or not they are getting along - too early to tell but they don't seem to mind the other being here at all. Although the screaming did freak Binki out, she was fine once he stopped.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I'm sure binki will get used to the louder bird, will just take time. If you do get noise complaints at all, I have heard that putting quilts on the walls can help (or other thick coverings). Doesn't look great, but you could probably get decorative tapestries or something.

Only thing I would worry about with a sun and a tiel is the sun is known to be a nippy bird (all conures really) and their beaks can do damage to a smaller bird like a tiel. But sounds like you aren't having any aggression issues with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    I'm sure binki will get used to the louder bird, will just take time. If you do get noise complaints at all, I have heard that putting quilts on the walls can help (or other thick coverings). Doesn't look great, but you could probably get decorative tapestries or something.
    If the need arises, I have an area that I might be able to sound proof for him. So far we only had the one episode but I have no idea what else scares him He seems to dance when he is happy so hopefully he'll just scream if he's scared - too soon to tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Only thing I would worry about with a sun and a tiel is the sun is known to be a nippy bird (all conures really) and their beaks can do damage to a smaller bird like a tiel. But sounds like you aren't having any aggression issues with them.
    I am worried about that too. I don't think I would leave leave them out together unsupervised - you never know what might **** the other one off and then we could have an accident. Not worth the risk. So far though neither bird has been aggressive. The conure is very tame and gentle. He give me lots of kisses but he hasn't bitten me yet!

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

The sun is not known to be a nippy bird. Other conures, mostly in the genus Pyrrhura, are "nippy". But suns are NOT nippy. They are however screamers. And you can not teach him not to scream. You can teach him to quiet down if he gets out of control screaming. But you will never have a quiet bird. I find that having screaming sessions with my sun helps a lot. We will crank up the tunes, scream, sing, and dance for a while and then chill later. We do this several times a day. But I find that he does better with a little "scheduled rowdiness".

Anyway, I think people don't think you did quite enough research, because 1) you didn't know it was a sun, and 2) you didn't know why they would be bad apartment birds (and for that matter I live in an apartment with my sun and it is fine, you just have to know the risks).

Throwing a towel over him is not a good solution. Not only will he become fearful of anything "towel-like", but you aren't addressing the issue of screaming. It is best if you can use positive reinforcement when he is being quiet. (And this doens't really apply if he is scared of something). They have very different screams for different things.

But they are the sweetest little birds and I love mine dearly. People here (myself included) get upset when others bring home suns not knowing what to expect. Unfortunately, they are a very common bird to end up in rescues and rehomed, because people just can't live with the screaming. Or worse, the bird ends up with very little socialization and ends up plucking and leading a miserable existence.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Screaming Sun Conures

Since you've done research, what are you seeing as proper diet? How much apple did you give him? I hope you realize that fruit is high in sugar and water, but low in vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Therefore fruit should make up a very minimal amount of the diet. No more than about half a grape at a time (size-wise) (~1 tsp).

And thank you Roxy and Barb, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Tibby - I'm not saying you won't provide a good home, I'm just saying that you should have done more research before you brought him home. I've worked in avian rescue, and just please realize that you fit the stereotype of I'd say 95% of young females rehoming sun conures. Impulsive, minimal research, and overconfidence. We are not attacking you, individually. The number of people coming here looking to bring home a bird out of their care level is absurd. We are looking out for the bird.

Also, read The Rational Parrot
    Last edited by CRToon83; 08-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    --Russell