where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent, I really need help quickly

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Urgent, I really need help quickly

I have just found Baby (mother) literally attacking and throwing her youngest baby around the nest box.
    The baby was screaming. I managed to get baby off of the young one while at the same time being attacked myself by Sassy.
    I held the baby for about 20 mins before it stopped crying. I now have the young one in a different box. I tried to return it to the nest and Baby started to throw it around again.
    It looks like I need to pull it away from the parents now.
    I am stuck as to what I have to feed the little one, temperatures of food etc, and basically how to feed it.
    Please please help

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Re: Urgent, I really need help quickly

[QUOTE=Skip;767435]I have just found Baby (mother) literally attacking and throwing her youngest baby around the nest box.
    The baby was screaming. I managed to get baby off of the young one while at the same time being attacked myself by Sassy.
    I held the baby for about 20 mins before it stopped crying. I now have the young one in a different box. I tried to return it to the nest and Baby started to throw it around again.
    It looks like I need to pull it away from the parents now.
    I am stuck as to what I have to feed the little one, temperatures of food etc, and basically how to feed it.
    Please please help
    The baby is 23 days old now

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

The other thread about hand feeding recommended zupreem handfeeding formula. You should be able to buy it from a pet store...

How to feed it is always recommended to learn from a breeder. If you can find any breeder or vet that knows how, ask them to show you. You may even be able to get a pet store to demonstrate if you can find one that raises chicks.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I have no idea about breeding.

http://www.cockatiel.org/articles/handfeeding.html

That link has a fair amount of info on hand feeding tiels... maybe it can help until someone gets on to offer more advice!

Live, Love, Laugh! ♥ Hatching kassidyb's Avatar
    Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Maybe you should remove Baby and leave Sassy? I don't know how different cockatiels are from budgies when breeding, but in breeding budgies, after the chicks get older the mother usually tries to start kicking them out to start her 2nd clutch. So if the mother starts getting aggressive you usually just have to remove her and leave the Daddy in to finish off the job, which usually happens anyway in the wild. If you do this just be sure to check the crops of the babies and make sure Daddy is doing his job warming them up and stuff.

Good luck!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I like the idea of having Sassy try to feed the youngest. Maybe you can let Sassy out so he can go to the box the baby is in and he will feed her, I hope so.

Sorry this is happening Debby
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Sassy won't go near the new box with the baby in it. Both parents have had a look, but neither of them will feed the little one, this is breaking my heart. The baby keeps looking up and crying for it's parents.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I know the biggest thing is to keep it warm - most people say to use a heat pad under the box (half of it, so the baby can get away if it is overheating). And it may be hungry, but I have no idea how to tell if the crop is full or empty.

Wasn't the youngest one the one with the eyes that opened late? May be the parents think something is wrong with it?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Do you have any pellets you can crush and make into something you can feed the baby? Or did you look on the avianweb site to see if they had anything about what to feed a baby. I am at a loss because I never had to feed babies or even saw a baby being fed except with the feeding formula made for birds so I just dont know. Poor little baby, hopefully it will be OK tonight for you because I know your vet will have something to feed it but it needs to make it through the night.

I just found this site with a little info about what to feed them, http://www.cockatielcottage.net/formula.html
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

First step, take a deep breath & try to calm down.

Next, Move Baby to her own cage, away from Sassy & the babies.

Leave Sassy with the babies. Put the attacked baby back with the others. Watch to see how he does with feeding all the babies by himself. You may have to help feed them.

If Sassy is unable to care & feed the babies by himself, you may have to pull all the babies, and hand-feed. The Zupreem hand-feeding formula is my personal favorite. It is a much better quality than the Kaytee brand.
    http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/bird...eeding-formula
    This is the stuff I use. On this page, there is a link that says "Where to Buy", it will help you locate a store that carries it. Also, there is an area that says downloads. If you click the "Embracebrochure.pdf" it gives some good instructions for how to make the food properly.

Do you have anybody that can show you how to feed? In my opinion, baby cockatiels are pretty easy to feed. They have a great natural feeding response.

If you can't get the formula right away, you can use human baby foods. In a pinch, I have used an organic turkey & sweet potato baby food. (I tend to keep a couple of jars around in case of emergency. You never know when you will have a baby, an injured or sick bird, where you need to be able to give a bird food quickly & fairly easily.)

If Sassy will not care for the babies on his own, you will need to keep them warm. You can use a regular heating pad, set on medium. We have done this before. We took the lid off the nest box, and placed the heating pad over the opening. This kept the babies warm, but with plenty of air flow.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any more questions!

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Sassy will only look after the babies during the day. Baby sleeps on top of the nest box at night, just close enough to keep an eye on them. Please bear in mind that the other 3 babies 24 days, 27 days and 28 days and they are beginning to nibble at millet and the feathers are fully grown now too.
    I have just tried to feed the young one. I obtained a jar of stage 1 baby food. I also bought a thermometer to get the correct temperature of the food.
    It has eaten a tiny bit of food, and a few drops of water, but for some reason it has taken to my daughter. It is snuggled up in the nape of her neck and every so often it looks up to make contact with her. It really is so sweet. I hope that I have done enough for this little for tonight.
    I would have tried to place the little one back in the cage, but it really is far too late at night here in england.
    I will update you tommorrow morning how the baby is. The next feed will be about 7am.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Sassy will only look after the babies during the day.
    I would have tried to place the little one back in the cage, but it really is far too late at night here in england.
    I will update you tommorrow morning how the baby is. The next feed will be about 7am.
    Sassy may take over full time if Baby has been removed.

Also, make sure you keep the baby warm!! It may not survive if it is not kept warm enough.

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

It is 3am, I have just been woken up to a lot of flapping in the cage.
    Baby was attacking yet another baby. I now have 2 babies in a seperate cage.
    She really is like a demon possessed, I don't know why. She was absolutly excellent with all 4 of the young ones before.
    I will update again later on this morning

Live, Love, Laugh! ♥ Hatching kassidyb's Avatar
    Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Like two of us said, remove Baby! If you just move her to her own cage you won't have to worry about feeding the babies, as long as Sassy would. (If Baby was gone and not distracting him, he probably would do fine caring for all of the babies, even those who you have taken out of the cage)

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Sometimes this just happens with parents. They do fine up to a point, then they need to be removed from the situation. This happened to us with our GCCs.

Remove Baby. More than likely, Sassy will take over completely.

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Thank you once again to everyone,
    This morning I uncovered Sassy and Baby's cage and immediatly Baby went straight into the nest box and attacked the remaining 2 babies.
    I have now removed all 4 babies, they are all together in a box on my dining room table.
    Sassy, thankfully has started to feed a couple of the little ones. Im waiting to see if he feeds the other 2. Baby goes into the box but just throws the nesting material everywhere.
    She has not however attempted to attack them since they have been out of the cage.
    Neither of the parents feed the babies at night, would it be advisable to keep the babies out of the cage at night and let Sassy feed them during the day as he has done so far this morning?