where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sick bird??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    K
    Thanks

Sick bird??

Honestly I have no idea. This bird (Apollo) has been all over the place. I'm looking for ideas as to what I can do to hep him.

Here's a rundown of symptoms and whatnot
    Feb: Got Apollo, house is cold, he always shivered and was terrified of the heat lamp. Didn't worry too much.
    May:Warmer weather, bird still shivering. Set up heat lamp again and he appeard fine. Also started having hormonal changes. (all the normal stuff for a guy >.<)
    April: Beginning of 'loose' stools. Not so much watery as very slightly pudding like. Still retained most of their shape. Bird still shivering.
    June: Heat wave, weather in 40+ zone. Apollo was fine, never overheated once and we don't have air cond. I found this strange.
    July: Temp dropped to 30s, started shivering again, stopped singing.
    August: Still not singing, not shivering with heat lamp on. Droppings are now very watery. Tons of excess urine, but feces are still solid.

He's been gaining weight steadily from day one, about 89g up from 75g. Yes, I should and wish I could get him to the vet, but there's s slew of unfortunate things that are preventing that. He looks perfectly healthy on the outside and acts like he always has, minus singing. I'm completly stumped and the only answer I can find elsewhere is 'take him to the vet.' Which will happen ASAP- but in the meantime- help?

Does anyone here have any idea of what could be wrong with him, or sugestions as to what more I can do?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    K
    Thanks

Re: Sick bird??

Glad I'm not the only one without answers XD

Anyways, for those who are interested:

Did manage to get him to the vet. Says he's likely fine, not in the tip top shape but because he likely doesn't have the best inclination to be healthy (genetic's wise) not in bad shape at all. No ideas with the shivering though.

I am supposed to get some more weight on him though. Picked up a supplement for both immune and general health, so we'll see how that goes.

Anyone know any tricks for fattening them up in a good way?

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Hi there, I'm sorry no one replied That is fairly rare in the cockatiel forum, but this summer has been a little slow - I imagine a lot of people are on vacation (speaking personally, at least!).

I'm glad the vet thinks he will be OK Mine LOVE pasta (no butter, no salt)! Also plain rice and wheat bread..... Unsalted nuts are another option. My 2 love almonds as a special treat, or peanuts. And when Syd needed to gain weight, I gave plain graham crackers, too. That's all I can think of right now, as far as getting the little guy fattened up, but I will revise my post if I think of others.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My vet recommended letting our bird have pasta, bread and more seed when we had to put a little more weight on our tiel. And sorry no one responded, but I didn't even see this thread until today! Not that I could have helped, I don't have a clue what could be wrong with him.

Name
    Kyra
    Thanks

Well the good thing is that he is not sick but underweight. some birds shiver for no reason,like mine, or some reason that not that importaint to thier health. Dont wory too much.
    good luck gaing grahms!!!

Hormonal
    Thanks

apparently ..so a localbreeder tells me sunflower seeds and oats are good for weight gain
    he recommended a peeachface mix scattered on the floor for one of my young tiels together with oats

good luck
    hopefully he will just start thriving with some good food...here in oz we give all the natural seeded grasses and branches

Live, Love, Laugh! ♥ Hatching kassidyb's Avatar
    Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

How's he doing?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    K
    Thanks

Sorry for the lack of update! I did browse over replys earlier, thanks for all the tips! I can't actually believe it's only been 4 days, as he managed to put on nearly all the missing weight in that time. I feel kinda silly, and also like I have a very picky bird. Magic trick I figured out?

He doesn't eat warm food, he eats hot food. Jeeze crazy bird. It's got to be at the point just below painful heat, and he gobbles it down. This from the bird who isn't hot at 40*c. Go figure XD.

He does also love pasta, which I didn't know about. So big thanks to those who suggested it!

Live, Love, Laugh! ♥ Hatching kassidyb's Avatar
    Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Glad to hear this! Keep up the good work, and I bet he will be back to 100% again in no time.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

My tiels also like raw corn on the cob or steamed corn, peas and rice specially if it has vermicelli in it. They also love their pasta as well as broccoli.