Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

Question Frayed Feathers?

What would cause a cockatiels feathers to frey? Could they have mites? It seems to only be on the flight feathers and tail feathers. Will post pics soon.
    NIchole is owned by 12 budgies Summer, Shadow, Autumn, Kalipso,Clover, Boo, Luna, Bam Bam, Pebbels, Bandit, Kinder and Aaron. 3 cockatiels (Moon, Dusty and Pepper) as well as 2 dogs (Sonic and Buddy)

RIP Sampson my puppy you will never be forgotten! You were a good dog and an amazing companion. I miss you so much! XOXOX 08/14/08-03/27/10

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

Re: Frayed Feathers?

Here is what I am talking about?? is it anything to worry about?
    NIchole is owned by 12 budgies Summer, Shadow, Autumn, Kalipso,Clover, Boo, Luna, Bam Bam, Pebbels, Bandit, Kinder and Aaron. 3 cockatiels (Moon, Dusty and Pepper) as well as 2 dogs (Sonic and Buddy)

RIP Sampson my puppy you will never be forgotten! You were a good dog and an amazing companion. I miss you so much! XOXOX 08/14/08-03/27/10

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

The second row in this link has some pixs: http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/c...alth%20Issues/ Click for a larger view.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Serena
    Thanks

My bird has the same thing! I will post pictures when i can but I don't think I could capture the same detail. If anyone has any information on what could be wrong with my dear little baby Omar! His little wing feathers are also frayed and I'm really worried. What do I do? He does play pretty rough in his cage by himself. He jumps around in his house and Flys vigorously on his bouncy bell. I don't think mine has the same discoloration as the cockateil in the picture but mine has def got some fray! Please help up someone!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

It is best to make a new thread, than to bring up an old one - more people will see a new thread.

But, fraying can be caused by a lot of things - my tiel has frayed tail feathers because frankly he's a clumsy bird. He puts his tail first in the food bowl, brushes it against the cage all the time, etc. Mites can cause damage as well, if you think your bird may have them, you can take him to the vet for a check / treatment. Feather mutilation can also cause damage.