Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Duck Pictures

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Duck Pictures

Well I'm slowly getting to know the town and me and my sister discovered that there is a flock of ducks living nearby. The first time we discovered them it was pretty awesome. Me and my sister were under the bridge at the park and seen some ducks in the river. They started coming towards us but saw there was people and started to leave. But then I started doing my ducks calls, and apparently I'm pretty good at it, because they started coming back. Me and my sister stood completely still and they were eventually surrounding us feeding from the water. It was amazing to watch. So now we visit them all the time and they are quite friendly with us. They run right up to us begging for food all the time.

Unfortunately some of the neighborhood kids think it's entertaining to injure some of the ducks so there are a few that limp and one that has a broken tail . Me and my sister have become friends with a lady who feeds them almost every day and she says that she has called the police numerous times on them and she even calls the local Fish and Wildlife center when there are injured ones so at least they have someone looking after them .

Anyway, I decided to take a few pictures of them with my good camera (finally bought a new charger for it ). Unfortunately I couldn't take too many pictures because my memory card is full and my brand new laptop is broken (thanks to my sister) but I thought I would share the few pics I do have with you guys .

Just some of them...

The little oddball, he's the only white one, he sticks out like a sore thumb

The poor little guy with the broken tail

Some of them even eat from your hand, like this little guy...

OK so it may not be just a 'few' but I still would have liked to take more pictures of them :P.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    murray
    Thanks

Re: Duck Pictures

there seems to be alot of ducks in there that have had their wings clipped / butchered

Name
    leo
    Thanks

WOW thats a lot of ducks pretty cool isn't their a law about hurting the ducks

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I know the answer would be a resounding "NO!" but ccan you ask if you & other passerby can throw stones & injure the brats who are injuring the ducks? A friend who is studying law & is presently an assistant police chief informed me that it is against the law to chase or injure migratory wildlife and most of the ducks appear to be mallards (which I think are normally migratory fowl). Only reason I know is that I had mallards feeding on the spilt seed under our front garden feeder and the brat next door was allowed to chase them. When I told him off, his Hispanic mother told me I should "put up a fo----g fence" - he was only 2 years old! From what I was told it is a federal law, so you might want to check w/Fish & Wildlife just to be sure.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yes there is a law against hurting them. The lady I was talking about is currently in the process of going to court against them. I've never actually seen anyone hurting them but the lady (I can't remember her name for some reason) said she has seen them doing it many times. At first she would chase them away but after a while they started harassing her too so that's when she started called the cops.

Trust me, if I ever see anyone hurting them, they will regret ever doing do. I'll give them a taste of their own medicine .

Also, maybe some of the ducks have their wings clipped because they had to be taken in because of injuries? I don't know if they would do that or not but I can't think of any other reason. I know of at least two right now that have a slight limp and one of the ducklings was just taken in because it could barely walk on one of its legs.
    And it looks like a few of the are molting right now so that could be another reason why their wings look so cruddy.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

[QUOTE=♥Brittany;770148]
    Trust me, if I ever see anyone hurting them, they will regret ever doing do. I'll give them a taste of their own medicine .

[QUOTE]

Just please don't get yourself arrested for defending the ducks ...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is a heck of a lot of ducks, I love them all!!! Ducks are just so cute and I cannot see why anyone would hurt them but it happens around here too. Kids should be kicked for throwing things at them and I am happy they have the lady, you and your sister now to watch over them. Awesome that the rescue is helping the injured ones out.

We were at Lake Tahoe not to long ago and these teenagers were tossing rocks and harassing some Canadian honkers that were on the beach. My charming usually very quiet daughter who is now 19 walked calmly over near them and proceeded to yell at them about throwing rocks and instantly they got defensive right back to her until she told they she was going to throw rocks right back at them. They looked at her cuteness (no boy could not like her!) and then said sorry and shamefully walked away.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Well fortunately I am pretty sure I know some of the individuals who like to hurt the ducks and if they are who I think they are (most likely the group of boys who were smashing bottles in the wilderness trail while drunk) then I HIGHLY doubt I would get in any trouble for teaching them a thing or two because they are nothing but a menace to this town.

And that's good that your daughter stood up to them Deanna. I just don't understand why on earth anyone would think it would be the least bit entertaining to hurt any animal...
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think when guys see a girl raging mad they will stop whatever they are doing usually. Girls just have something that usually get them to stop and besides most guys wouldnt dare hurt a girl so why not try bullying them. Just have someone there to help you incase they are real jerks, my daughter had her dad sitting on the shore close by to help if needed. You dont want to get hurt and if they are drinking jerks, who knows what they would do if you yelled at them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Yeah, that's why I miss living near my friends, it's always nice to have a guy with you to back you up . But I think I can take 'em, they are all a bunch of scrawny little punks anyway .

But seriously, I hope they get what they deserve in court and realize it's pointless hurting defenseless creatures like that.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    leo
    Thanks

maybe i will get the biker Budd's together for a ride to pa one weekend we like to take nature walks and have fun!

Remove Ads