where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: lovebird problem

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

Question lovebird problem

hello my lovebird laid her first egg a week ago. now she is very swollen near her rear. i took her to the vet and he said it could be a hernia, a swollen uterus, or a soft shelled egg. she seems to be moving around as if nothing is wrong but you can see how swollen she is. the vet couldnt tell me without an x-ray what it was and i couldnt afford an xray cause they wouldnt bill me and wanted the money up front and i just didnt have it. i just barely had the money to have her looked at and that was basically a waste because they didnt tell me what was wrong with her. any help would be nice. is she going to be ok? can the situation work itself out. she doesnt seem to be in any pain she isnt screaming and she moves around fine when she comes out of her box. but she is breathing heavier than normal.

Thanks

Re: lovebird problem

That doesnt sound good to me.

This is my opinion: from the stories I've read on here about hens who have died from eggs stuck inside them, I would take this very seriously, money be ****ed. Thats what credit cards are for. I'd rather be out some money than to never see my bird again. If that vet wont take a credit card or work out a payment plan I would take my bird to one who did so she could get proper treatment. Eggs dont seem to "go away" on their own. The heavy breathing sounds like the egg is pressing on her insides and she is uncomfortable.

My hen just laid her first eggs and they came very regularly every 48 hours, so thats why your bird sounds like she may be in distress to me.

Hopefully the more knowledgeable people on here will chime in. I would still err on the cautious side and get her examined quickly. Good luck.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

This might be a helpful article: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b.../egglaying.php

If it's been a whole week, I agree with Cheaps, I would definitely get her checked out again! Even you have to try another vet.
    Rafiki did take a little longer than the usual 48 hours when she was laying (maybe 3 or 4 days), but a week seems a bit much.

.....Abu......Rafiki...... Zuri.....

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robert
    Thanks

thanks alot for your help. but i woke up this morning and she had laid another egg over night.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Glad to hear she is doing well. Be sure she is getting lots of calcium(cuttle bone scraped into her wet foods(veggies, mash), boiled egg with shell crushed & mixed in), to help keep her egg's shell hard. Be sure she is in top health and eating a good varied diet before breeding anyway. If you aren't wanting to let her have eggs, take the nest box down. Egg laying is hard on them.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Thanks

Whew, I'm happy to read that she passed her egg.

I'd still be cautious that the reason its taken a week between eggs is that she's having problems, so keep watching her.
    Last edited by Cheaps; 09-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    We got lots of Ham here

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

A puffy bum is NOT uncommon after laying, even within the week of her passing it.

MOST hen lovebirds tend to lay more than one and her bum being that big (as you already know now) is her prepping for another one.

Kiwi my peachie hen, passed 2 eggs in a week and her butt was ENORMOUS! It was softer and looked swollen, but those are characteristics of a hen in laying action.
    All my lovebirds (with the exception of my new fischer's) have all been females and have all laid eggs. So a swollen bum is normal to me =)

Keep an eye on her though, if you find she's fluffed and lethargic (don't confuse that with the panting and labour of passing another egg) contact a vet

Remove Ads