where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Introducing.........

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Introducing.........

Yeah, no name yet. Just introducing. He's a 12 week old Pineapple GCC. I went to a bird show yesterday to get toys, and maybe a blue headed Pi or a turquoise yellow sided gcc, but the only Pi was a 10 year old male used as a breeder whose owner died, and I didn't have $300 plus a cage at the moment. Turq's were about $200-250, and that's even a little steep for me at the moment, since I just moved.

Then today I went back to get some more toys, started talking to a breeder whose retired and does it as a hobby, and he had this guy for $150. I grilled him for about 45 minutes while I played with the bird (he also had a cinnamon for $125), and the pineapple was all up in my hair and enjoying my company; the breeder said since he could tell I'd give him a good home, he'd let me have him for $125, and gave me a small travel cage so I wouldn't have to go home and get one.

He's currently in Amira's sleep cage (30" x 18" x 18") in my bedroom, eating Harrison's pellets, drinking, playing, etc. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to get a vet check done, then hopefully introduce them shortly

So... NAME TIME! I've always wanted a bird named Sanchez... but that's a last name.. so I don't think so.. Sancho, eh.. idk. Then I was thinking Pancho, and maybe one day get a Lefty. But I'm not sold on it. My friend suggested Jesus (Hay-zeus), and I think there's some good humor in there. Suggestions? I want to keep it Spanish themed.

And not to leave Amira out, I took these pictures before the bird show.

Last edited by CRToon83; 09-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Re: Introducing.........

(Are the pictures showing up for everyone? They're hosted on Facebook and I just want to make sure they work.)

And a few more now that he has ventured out of his cage:

Last edited by CRToon83; 09-12-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Oh my gosh! She is totally adorable!! Congrats!

If you want to go with Jesus as a name, you could always call him Chuey (pronounced Chewy) for short. One of my favorite Spanish names.

My husband always wants to go with Aztec names, like Cuahuehuatl and Sochil....

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Thanks barb! So... I'm worried he may have stunted growth. He is only 52 grams... I thought he was small when I bought him... but I figured it was just my perception was off. I brought him home and weighed him... and that's when I discovered his weight. Any experience with this?
    --Russell

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Wow, 52 grams is small...No experience with this at all. Has he seen a vet yet? Could just be a small healthy guy too I suppose, but it is always good to have them checked out just to be sure.

Can you feel the keel sticking out? Also, just compared to Amira, is he shorter or thinner?

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Aww, how precious. Just adorable. I love the one with you holding her.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Your little guy is absolutely gorgeous and watching your every move too. If you're looking for Spanish names why not try Sancho (as in Panza) from Don Quijote? Or if he's really a she you could try Dulcinea or Aldonza ... quite a mouthful there. Or Chaco/Chaku (an area in Bolivia) where gccs originally came from. My gcc, Beni, is named after a department (state) in Bolivia.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Awwww... cute!! Is this little one the same mutation as Amira?

I'm only really good for Japanese or Hawaiian names... Spanish eludes me. The only things that come to mind are Pinata, Chalupa, Gordita... I'm hungry for Taco Bell now. Hahahahaha!!

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Basically he's perfectly healthy, according to my vet. The tail thing is because he has been fully fledged, and just got clipped on Friday slightly too much, so it's screwing up his balance. This is kinda what I figured.

And the breeder says he was with his parents for 3 weeks before he pulled them, and his parents are only 56 grams. I read a dissertation about stunting last night... he has no signs of stunting, the vet agreed.

He came home and started eating Harrison's right off the bat with no problem, and is eating fresh veggies and fruits. Smart as a whip, already learning to step up, and fell asleep under my chin earlier.

Amira's a little ****** off at me... but she's gonna have to get over it. When I get home, I go to Amria's cage first, talk to her, take her out, etc.. then go to Jesus' cage, do the same thing, go back and let her get on my shoulder... and after a while of hanging out I'll put her back on her cage and go get Jesus. He's taking baths, and seems very happy and well raised.

I really believe I wasted my money at the vet. Oh well.... piece of mind is a good thing
    --Russell

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

That is great to hear! Sort of what I was figuring, but it is great to have a professional opinion.

Did they do a blood panel? I think the first visit is so important for getting baseline info for any future issues.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

I just drained my bank account moving to Atlanta and don't have the money for a blood panel right now... coming up within the next few months I plan on having it done.
    --Russell

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Ah, well that is understandable. I typically think of our yearly exam as something we just have to bite the big one on...a little listen to the lungs, looksie at the feathers, and whammo...$80. But there is still some comfort in just seeing the vet regularly to make sure. When we moved to Knoxville (in June) we took Darwin in for his annual even though he had just had one 3 months before! But at least he now has a vet that has seen him and they have his charts and all that.

Remove Ads