Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: In mourning--Oreo

Cinderhawk

In mourning--Oreo

Oreo died today.

My dad was out in the garage puttering around the car and I, having finished breakfast, went out to join him. As I stepped out of the door, an odd sense of foreboding filled me. I can't really explain it, but I somehow knew that Oreo had died. You know, kind of like a link. Yes, I know it sounds stupid and 'cliche' but it's true. After thinking it over, I thought it was ridiculous, but still... The usual morning chirps weren't resounding across the room. I hesitantly walked over to the cage and scanned for Oreo. And there he was, lying on the cage floor. Oh lawd, I'm tearing up right now.. His eye was pecked out and his neck was a bloody mess. He lay so still... so very still. Jimbo was on the top perch, just staring malevolently. That son of a biscuit.

Mindy joined me and asked why I was staring at the cage. She gasped and started to cry... I guess I kind of broke down then, and I cried along with her. We ran into the kitchen where my mom was washing dishes and Mindy blurted out the story. Mom didn't believe her, of course, until I told her. She told me to get a glove and throw him out. That was when Dad joined us. Mindy took him outside and showed him the corpse. He surveyed the bloody mess and shook his head. I got the glove and put my hand inside the cage. Jimbo went nuts and started flapping around all over the place. I gently tried to get Oreo but his feet were grasping the bottom bars very tightly. He must have been in so much pain, to have maintained a hold like that. After a few tries, and the prying of feet, I got him out. He dangled underneath my fingers lifelessly. Like that of a hanging corpse; noose tied around his neck.

We went outside to where the garbage cans were, and Dad got a shovel. He told us that we should give him a proper burial. There we stood, Mindy and I crying, and Dad digging up the earth. After a few mounds of earth, the hole turned red with clay. I ceremoniously dropped him into that hole, and we stood there silent, for about a minute. Then Dad got the shovel and buried him with desert soil. It was a grey morning when we buried him. Mindy and I got handfuls of seed and scattered it onto the grave. We decided not to mark where he lay. It is better for him. May he soar among the clouds and utter defiance to the ground. Rest in peace, my little feathered friend. Rest in piece.

I'll never forget how you cheered up the family with your arrival. I'll never forget you in the eight months you've lived with us. You were the most beautiful blue-masked lovebird in that pet shop. It was that mischievious glint in your eye... Know that you were loved greatly in our family.

And as for Jimbo, I don't know. I might sell him/her or give him/her away. Maybe get a budgie.

Stare at the Sun, Thrice

sit here clutching useless lists
    and keys for doors that don't exist
    i crack my teeth on pearls
    i tear into the history
    just show me what it means to me in this world

'cause i am due for a miracle
    i'm waiting for a sign
    i'll stare straight into the sun
    and i won't close my eyes
    'til i understand or go blind

i see the parts but not the whole
    i study saints and scholars both
    no perfect plan unfurls
    do i trust my heart or just my mind
    why is truth so hard to find in this world
    yeah in this world

'cause i am due for a miracle
    i'm waiting for a sign
    'til i understand or go blind

i know that there's a point I've missed
    a shrine or stone i haven't kissed
    a scar that never graced my wrist
    a mirror that hasn't met my fist
    but i can't help feeling like i'm

due for a miracle
    i'm waiting for a sign

.. I dunno, I felt like putting that up.

Hatching
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Re: In mourning--Oreo

I am so sorry. I know how you must feel. My budgie died unexpectedly recently. I know what that feeling is also. I'm so sorry for you.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

I am so sorry for the passing of your precious Oreo. Such a sweet tribute you wrote for him.

Cinderhawk

Argh, Jimbo died a few weeks after Oreo--of zinc poisoning, I believe.

We were getting kind of close, and I let him wander about the garage one day and I *think* he chewed on a bicycle tire spoke... he was very happy to have gotten out; flapping his wings and screeching like mad. At least he got to stretch his wings out for a bit! He's buried next to Oreo. My dad vowed to never have birds again because of those two deaths, saying that bad luck's going to heavily weigh in upon the family or something like that. (very superstitious, him) But my mom said I could get a budgie when we move again to our new house.

Rest in peace, Jimbo! (or Rhadagast, your 'true' name) 2

Thank you for the consolations!

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I'm very sorry

ThisBbyAyu Hatching
    Name
    Ashley Kun
    Thanks