Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ariba
    Thanks

sun conure vs. jenday conure?

which is a better 1st time parrot?
    im 14
    my mom is always home
    my parents and sisters (one is 12 one is 10 and one is8 so it will always have someone once im at college) all hold responsibility
    we all go to school
    it will be out of its cage most of the time
    plz dont recommend me another bird. im set on one of the two and have been researching for 3 years. i will take care of it.
    noise is not a problem nor is money.
    it will have a minimum of 4 hours out of the cage if not more but normally it will be out 6-7 hours.
    thnx! plz answer
    Last edited by parrotluv123; 09-14-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

Re: sun conure vs. jenday conure?

Maybe someone else can point out the differences but I don't think there is much difference behavior wise... At the store they thought mine was a Sun but then his papers said he was a Jenday. He could be a Sunday, who knows? I say pick the bird that has the personality you like. I have a cockatiel and a conure and I got them both because of the bird not the species.

Thanks

One quick caution - a conure will try to get in bed with you to snuggle - don't let him! I have read a lot of sad stories written by people that fell asleep and crushed their bird.

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Read my other reply. I only would recommend for you to get a bird if it is a family bird, and your parents are fully aware and responsible for said pet. It will be around for the next 30 years, and neither will be an appropriate pet for an apartment when you go to college. Please read my other reply to you.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I totally agree with you, Russell!! My answer to the "which is a better 1st time parrot?" question was going to be real simple. Neither.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else. Neither bird is really right for you just yet (and species wise they are VERY similar). If it was a family bird, and the whole family (ie ultimately your parents) were responsible for it then it would be a different story.

My sun is VERY jealous...he loves me, tolerates my husband, and everyone else gets attacked. What are you going to do if the bird doesn't accept your family members? You can't really plan that they will look after him when you go to college if that is the case or if they (heaven forbid) have other plans of their own.

I am also concerned with the "noise isn't a problem and neither is money" statement...those are things you should be VERY concerned about. Noise in these birds is extreme. You might not mind it, but what about everyone else in your family? It isn't fair to your family members to deal with something that might make them crazy. Or worse (and what happens more frequently) the bird is stuffed somewhere it will be quiet, which is really unfair to the bird. Money is also something everyone should be concerned about (even people that hold good jobs, which you do not for obvious reasons). How are you going to pay vet bills? I can tell you that even if your bird is healthy, it will run you about $100 in vet a year. Not to mention the HEAPS you will have to spend on toys and food. I would say that we spend about $20 a month on food (maybe even a bit on the low end) and as for toys....errr...I don't even want to estimate!

If you answer a few more questions and maybe get your parents involved then it might work out (and people here would be much more willing to be encouraging). But from what I have read (from your other threads too), I just see lots of potential problems.

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Mkay, I agree with people above and, of course, have to add my .02.

The aritanga (which includes the Sun and Jenday) are LOUD. They scream when they want attention, they scream for the hell of it, they scream because they're annoyed, happy, lonely, etc. Can every single person in your family handle being woken up early in the morning by a screaming bird? Hearing the same sounds over and over and over and over as they go about their day?

Again, money, blah blah.

The entire Conure species tends to lean towards one-two person birdome. Is your Mum willing to take care of the bird if it absolutely hates her, dive-bombs, bites, screeches, etc? If it falls in love with a family member who is never home and ends up screaming and angry whenever they are not around can the rest of your family deal with it and still give it the love and attention it needs?

And a point must be made, something you MUST understand if you are getting one of these birds before you go to college: you WILL NOT be able to take this bird away from your family.

a) You will never find an apartment with a bird that loud.
    b) You will not be the main caretaker of the bird, thus you will not be able to remove it from its home. Especially if it has bonded with another family member.
    c) It will be a family bird as you have stated. Not yours. The family's.

In the long run Jenday's and Sun's are not much different. Sun's probably have a louder, piercing scream but personality wise it's pretty much Conure and then individual birds.

Just one thread ago you were asking about Sun's and Caique's. It does not sound like you have made a proper decision. I know how hard it is to choose a bird but, really, you have to think of the bird, your situation, and your future situation.

I also agree with Barb that if you explained your reasons better people would be more willing to help. As it stands you've explained a tight financial situation, a family-raised bird, and eventual college and that is pretty much it.

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

Thanks

How about a Green Cheek Conure? They are fun, colorful, not very loud, love kids, and are a family bird? Check out the colorful Pineapple or Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conures!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ariba
    Thanks

ok thnx. ill do more research on both and more birds

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yes, you really need to explain why noise/money isn't an issue if you are on such a tight money budget according to your other thread before people will really be able to suggest you a bird. You said $15 a month in toys, that does NOT cover either a sun or a jenday. Are you willing to get a part time job to make more money for the bird? Would your parents up that allowance?

Do you not plan to take the bird with you when you go to school? Do you not plan to move out into an apartment? Will it more be your parents bird, bought for the family pet? etc etc...

Sorry you keep getting the same response, but we love birds here and we just want to be sure you understand the birds you are wanting are not easy and rarely, if ever, fit in with the situation you describe. I am in love with suns too, but my living situation at the moment is not fun for one, so I declined getting one until I have a house, a more stable schedule, more money to care for it. They are beautiful, they are playful and caring and wonderful... but I had to think of what was best for the bird I got, not just what I wanted.

GCCs have the conure personality and are not as hard to deal with. Also, remember conures as a species have a reputation for biting - your parents and sisters need to understand they probably will get bitten. And they can bite HARD if upset. They are nothing like a budgie.

Also, you could take the whole family out to your local parrot club to meet some of the species you are thinking of. That way they could interact with them, talk to the people who own them, get a good feel for exactly what these birds are like. Don't get offended if some of those people offer the same things we have said though, bird lovers have to give the bad with the good because none of us wants a bird to get bought because the owner didn't fully understand the bird... that is why so many of us hate pet stores, they don't explain at all about their birds and then the poor things end up thrown away because the owner couldn't handle it.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Another suggestion would be to see if there are any local bird fairs in your area. Go to one or two with your family, not so much to necessarily buy a bird right away but to meet breeders, see the different birds they have, handle them (if you're allowed to) and above all, listen to the noise(s) you'll hear from the different types of birds. I know msn.com will list bird fairs in Texas (I looked) but I don't know what area you're in and I know Texas is big.

My small local bird fair is held in the gym of a community center which used to be an elementary school. I've seen everything from a variety of beautiful finches and canaries to macaws, cockatoos, African greys, eclectus and aracaris. I've heard everything from the smallest little tweet-tweet to the fog horn of what I think was a macaw at the time (there was a group of larger birds so it was hard to tell who was doing what).

Personally, all my birds are the smaller ones, my largest (in size) being the Quakers. Would I love to have a Grey, macaw or cockatoo or even a sun conure? Absolutely, yes. But the reality is that any of those would be more than I could handle financially, physically, mentally and space-wise.

At the risk of preaching, I have seen so many sad ads on (what used to be kijiji) Ebay and hoobly placed by kids going to college whose parents/families aren't willing to care of their bird while they're gone. And there've been the ones placed by the parents who aren't willing to care for the bird after their kid has left. Or the kids going into the military or who've been transferred overseas.

Not everyone realizes how much work a bird can be until you have one and you have to wash the dishes, clean the cage, provide seed/veggies/fruit/pellets, check the toys, let him out, give him treats, cuddle or sit with him on a daily basis (not the cage necessarily). Doesn't matter if you're running late, you're tired, you're feeling sick, it's your birthday, Christmas, Easter, Kwanzaa, Passover, etc. As a farmer's wife at the Milwaukee Fair told me youngest son while demonstrating how to milk a cow - it's day in and day out - you don't have any holidays.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I guess I can't really say I know much about either, but I just want to offer you some general bird advice.
    You're 14 now, so if I'm correct in my assumption, you're just starting high school. Keep in mind high school is going to get more time demanding as you get closer to graduation- I'm a senior right now, and have so much stuff going on after only 2 weeks of school that it's difficult to find time to just relax.

You say 4 hours of out-of-cage time a day, and that may work now, but think about when you have homework, and when/if you get a job, and when/if you're involved in school activities or sports. They take up a lot of time. Ringo's out-of-cage time is basically every moment I'm awake and at home- which is most of the time less than 3 or 4 hours a day. Sometimes it's only an hour.

Also, I'm going to have to face a lot of hard decisions this summer and next year. As much as I'd like to pick a college based only on if I can keep Ringo (as well as my snakes) with me, I know in reality some things outweigh that. I really don't think I will have to rehome him, but it could be a possibility, and one I really don't like. You need to keep that in mind.

Another thing you have to consider is vacations. I have an awesome opportunity to go to the Philippines for a month this summer with some friends, one of whom was actually born in and lived in the Philippines for years. The challenge is figuring out what to do with Ringo for a month, and it's going to be a big undertaking. Are you planning on doing anything like that? If you are, you should make plans for your potential bird.

If you think you can handle it, by all means go for it, get a bird! But please think through it first.
    I know a lot of the people on here sound like they're out to crush your dreams, but please take their advice seriously, they're only trying to be a voice of reason.

You're young, and a bird is a very long term pet. They make wonderful companions, but you don't want to be held back from doing fun things by having one, and you don't want to neglect the bird while you're off doing those fun things. Maybe you just need to wait until you're older- that's what I'm doing. I'd love to have a Macaw or an African Grey sometime, but I'm waiting until I'm older and settled in.

I wish you luck, which ever way you choose!

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Hey Emily, I think you have brought up some great points, and being closest to his age, they seem the most relevant. I have very similar concerns to everyone, which I stated in his other thread. Now, I used to post on another message board, where there were two individuals (one boy and one girl) who were both about this age. Both of their parents made them do a solid 6 months of research, learn all they could, then after 6 months and only then would they consider getting a bird. Both of these two ended up with green cheeks... and one recently turned 16 and is saving for a double flight cage, a year later.

The only thing, as you well know Emily, is that people change so much during those years. And what you'll learn soon is that you won't stop changing what you want out of life and in life an who you are through your mid 20's. This goes for pets, relationships, life goals, careers, everything. So I do still frequent that forum to just check up on those two and see how they are with their birds... I just don't post any longer (the mods ticked me off), because I'm curious if they will stay on this path. I think one will... unsure of the other.

Also, Em, what kind of snakes do you have? I had some colubrids... but shortly after I got Amira I had to rehome them... since her scent was that of food... they were ALWAYS in feeding mode and became very bitey... and shortly lost their feeding response. I volunteered at a zoo, and gave them to the woman who has herps for her personal pets, and she says they became perfectly fine about a month or two later... I'm just curious as to your experience.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rachael
    Thanks

You are to young to take on the responsibility of a Sun or Jenday Conure. They require a tremendous
    amount of care and attention. These unique parrots can live up to 20 to 30 years. For your age and
    how your life will be changing it is unfair to your parrot. If you still desire one when you are older
    and settled down. Do your research, be stable, and make a promise to give your parrot the best life
    that will fit there needs not yours. I reside in Hawaii and I own Sun Conures and Jenday's along with others.

They are a full time up keep that I enjoy everyday and I have changed my life around there's.
    People need to stop treating these animals as toys. There lives are at risk and they develop
    severe depression from when they get passed down from one another. At 14 maybe you
    should look into a puppy or another animal that requires a little less maintenance and remember,
    birds should be free to fly not be stuck in a cage for 20 years.

Name
    Satish
    Thanks

Hi Bro, Don't worry abt parrot will accept your family or not… If you can afford a bird get it, suns and jandays both are very nice birds and make gr8 companions to humans only if sufficient time is give a day. In case you feel bird is not your cup of tea some one else can adopt your bird(I am telling you this coz having a parrot is such a wonderful feeling all the day, even when you are not in the house with your bird). One more thing suns will have yellow shade on there feathers where as jandays will have full green. Good Luck … !!!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

As everyone else said, the two birds are almost identical. Both make great pets for the same reasons: they are funny and loving. Both can also make bad pets for the same reasons: noise. They are also very energetic and emotionally intense. When they bond to you, they can be downright demanding and clingy. They are also beaky, so other family members can be intimidated by the noise they make and the nipping they deliver during play. This is to say nothing of the bites they can deliver when ticked off.

If it were me, I would wait a few years to see what my lifestyle and home are like. See where you live, and what job you settle into. Honestly, there are a lot of birds that are easier to live with than a conure. They are great birds, and I love my sun. But... frankly, he's louder than every other bird I own put together. You may find it easier to get a relatively quiet bird who is easy to handle. Such a bird will be easier for other family members to care for and enjoy. That may well be necessary, esp. during your freshman year of college, when you will likely be required to live in a dorm without pets. And such a bird will be much easier to bring into your first home, which will probably be an apartment.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

This thread is old and the member who originally posted it already purchased a Sun a little after this thread

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Good catch! Oopse.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti