where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    MACC
    Thanks

Question Hanging around the walls and ceiling of the cage

Hello,

I've found a budgie out in the wild and I've taken him in. He seems to be a male (blueish nostrils) and about 4 months of age (his head is completely covered with stripes).

He seems to spend a lot of time hanging on the perch stuck to his food shelf but all of a sudden he goes a little berserk and starts climbing all over the walls and hanging from the ceiling moving about with his beak and paws, he kinda swings back and forward with his beak and then uses his paws to grab on and so forth.

Is this normal behaviour for a budgie? From what I can remember from the budgies I had when I was a little kid they mainly hopped around from perch to perch, they never went on these climbing sprees.

Is his beak strong enough to support his weight like that?

Thank you very much!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Meg
    Thanks

Re: Hanging around the walls and ceiling of the cage

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "berserk". It's normal for a budgie to climb and use his beak to hang on and play, and he probably wont hurt himself hanging from his beak. Their beaks are like their hands, they are meant to be used to climb and hold on to things. If he seems happy and is just excited and playing that is completely normal, but it's possible he is scared and is trying to escape the cage. Could you get pictures or video of what he is doing?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it really comes down to whether he is scared or just playing (which budgies do). There are lots of articles on TF for first-time bird owners that might help you when it comes to caring for your new bird. The standard of Budgie care has probably changed from when you were a kid, it's still changing all the time as we try to be better birdy parents.

Good Luck!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    MACC
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your reply.

Perhaps "berserk" was somewhat of a strong choice of a word, he doesn't seem scared at all in fact I think he enjoys it a lot. It's just that he stands still most of the time and once in a while starts doing that all over the cage, quite a big contrast of actions so I wondered if it was normal. He doesn't seem to like the perches at all and I haven't seen him hoping between them yet, I thought that was kinda like normal behaviour for budgies and canaries but it seems this little fella is much more acrobatic.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

No budgie experience but could it be that he's still adjusting to being in a new location and is scoping things out (as in how to get out, which is probably how you ended up finding him). Is he tame enough for you to have out of the cage or does he freak out?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If you search for Toby on the budgie boards, you'll see some videos of hyper budgies. No two birds are alike, so you need to learn the personality of this one. If he is showing fear at all, you can try covering up half of his cage, so he has a safe area.

Good luck with your new friend. If you haven't yet, a vet check may be a good idea if he was out in the wild.

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

He might be still adjusting to the cage. Maybe trying to figuar a way to make it let him out. I think I'd do the same thing if I found myself in a cage.
    May the Forest be with you!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    MACC
    Thanks

Yesterday I noticed that the cage I put my budgie in is starting to chipping paint around the parts where he most frequently climbs and perches so I'll have to go to the store, ask for a refund and get rid of it. I didn't have any real choices when I went to buy it because it was the only store open at the time and they only had two models, one of which was ridiculously small. (It was a supermarket, not really a pet store, also). I'm hoping that he didn't actually ingest any of the paint flakes that came off the cage since he tends to balance himself by using his beak. What do you guys think I should do?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Meg
    Thanks

Well if you were going to take him to the vet for a check up anyway I would just mention it and see what the vet thinks. For sure get rid of the cage and get a new one. He will probably be fine, but its better to be safe.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If the paint was non-toxic it probably won't hurt him if he ingested a little bit, but even more reason for a healthy bird check. Some of the cheap cages use unsafe metal, then cover it up with paint and claim it is safe ... since the paint covers the unsafe part. Get a new cage and keep a look out for signs of metal toxicity. But most likely he hasn't had enough time to really make himself sick off of it yet though.

toby's mommy Maturing... budgiebudgie's Avatar
    Name
    mae
    Thanks

Hi there - Your new budgie's behavior sounds pretty normal. I'm the owner of the aforementioned hyper Toby. You can find posts (and videos) about him by going to my profile page and clicking on "Find all started threads." When we first got Toby, he was "statue bird" for a bit, probably from being scared, then he did something similar to your budgie's antics, first inside his quarantine cage, and then his regular cage. He would climb around the whole enclosure, be upside-down on the ceiling, dangle sometimes, and basically look like he was going for a prison break if he could. To this day he really doesn't like being "inside" and that's good for me because I can use it as a time-out space. He only goes in to sleep at night and to eat. Budgies in general can be rather acrobatic and hyper...Toby is especially so, compared to any other budgie I've had or seen. We literally let him run himself down every day before he goes to bed. Sounds like your newbie might have similar tendencies, on top of just exploring his new digs (and, as others have mentioned, probably looking for a way "out).

2011 Anti-Budgie Poo-Flinging/Eating Campaign
    (I love all kinds of birdies!)

MY BUDGIES// DUCK-BUTTS //VIDEOS OF MY BUDGIES
    * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *