Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

My Cockatiel has laid 4 eggs!

My Cockatiel Alice has laid 4 eggs! She has laid eggs before and they were unfertile. It was earlier in the year -I am hoping this time we may be successful. They are sitting well on the eggs, Dillan her mate by day and Alice by night. They are having plenty of eggfood, and fresh veg. They have cuttlebone and an iodine block. They won't take a bath so I am misting them with a spray every 2-3 days - and they have a good size nest box. Am I doing all the right things? I would really like this to work this time

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: My Cockatiel has laid 4 eggs!

Congrats on the eggs - being a Gran is always exciting whether it's a baby or a bird. I'm not overly experienced but when my tiels laid their eggs, I was able to note the lay dates and mark the eggs so I had an idea of who should hatch when. Have you been able to do that? I added an egg supplement made by Quiko to their regular foods. It looks something like dehydrated crumbled egg yolk and and the instructions were to sprinkle some over their seed/other foods. I don't know where you're out of but it is made in Germany if you're in Europe.

Once the eggs hatch you'll be in a completely different ballpark (as the saying goes in the U.S.) and you'll need as many soft foods as you can rustle up. If I can help at all at that time, just let me know.

Hormonal
    Thanks

good luck with it...may it all turn out beautifully for you
    are you going to handrear them? will you be selling the babies?

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Hi there, thanks for your replies - I have noted down the dates and the order in which the eggs were laid and the first egg is due to hatch approx -middle of next week. Since the fourth egg was laid I haven't been able to check if there are any more eggs as Dillan the male will not let me see! It's good they are sitting well but I have no idea how many eggs we have now. Alice has started making a hissing noise if I go any where near too! I have been feeding them emp which I believe is very simular to the Quiko that you mentioned and I also sprinkle it over their food. Yes thank-you I may need to come back to you for a few soft food recipes.

Well I am not sure whether to handrear them or not-as I don't want to unsettle the parents- but I have heard that It can be very rewarding and would be great to tame them - I am new to the breeding side of things so I'm still learning! I will get all the correct formula for handfeeding in just incase my cockatiels don't take to parenting. Most probably keep one or two and sell the others depending how it all works out and how many chick we get. I would love to keep them all but I can't as I don't have an outside aviary - just an indoor.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

What I've done w/my tiel babies is let the parents raise them but once they have their pin feathers and have their eyes open, I would take the babies out a little every evening when I got home from work. My hubby & I'd hold them a little and talk to them and pet them just so that they'd get used to a person or people. The two I have now turned 1 month on on 09/17; they were just at the vet yesterday f/a general check up & weighed in @ 81 & 82 grams. They're still getting the hang of stepping up and being scritched but don't run screaming from hands.

Just a word of warning that they can feel very strange when you hold them for the first time. Their underside feels like you're holding some kind of soft warm oatmeal filled container. Doesn't feel like bird at all!

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Ah they sound adorable - well done with your chicks! Well today I went out and bought a hand feeding soft food formula - just incase the parents don't take to parenting too well. I hope they do I would love them to bond with them but I have it here just incase! I would so love to hand feed them but would love to give them the chance first. So you reckon when their pin feathers and eyes are open it would be the ideal time to get to know them etc and to step up! I thought that they had to be hand fed to be tamed - I'm still learning - you sound like you're doing a grand job with yours.

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

O.k, well three of the eggs didn't hatch and are past their date. There are five eggs altogether - the 4th egg was due Thursday gone and nothing! The 5th egg due today. Not looking very promising. How long should I leave it before I remove the eggs? Is there still hope?

Name
    Kyra
    Thanks

gratz!i wish when summer comes back,(its fall and beguining of winter in canada!)i wish to breed my birds. my parent wont let me though

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia2010 View Post
    O.k, well three of the eggs didn't hatch and are past their date. There are five eggs altogether - the 4th egg was due Thursday gone and nothing! The 5th egg due today. Not looking very promising. How long should I leave it before I remove the eggs? Is there still hope?
    I've actually waited for a week to 2 weeks past the approx hatch date just to make sure no-one's a slow hatcher. For example, my gcc babies just turned 2 weeks last Friday and I removed the 2 remaining unhatched eggs from the nest.

By the way, how are the babies doing?

Sorry, also meant to add that if these are Alice & Dillan's first babies, it is probably just as well that there are only 2 chicks so that they aren't overwhelmed by a large clutch the first time around.

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Oh Hi there, thanks for the advice. Not sure if I explained things too well - but none of the five eggs have hatched - so we have no chicks unfortunately!! I will leave the eggs a bit longer though, as they haven't abandoned them yet and are still sitting well.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought some of your eggs had hatched. Maybe they're still practicing - my gccs took a couple of practice runs @ making whoopie before they laid anything that hatched.

Do you have any idea of how old Alice & Dillan are?

Nikki Brand New Egg
    Name
    nikki
    Thanks

Hi there, they are eighteen months old. Unfortunately all the eggs were unfertile except one and sadly it had died inside the egg.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Debora
    Thanks

Hi,
    I am new to this site and new to cockateils laying eggs. I have a male and female and came home to find an egg in the bottom of the cage. I have had the birds about a year and a half and they are almost 2 now. I have a breeding box but just got it and haven't put it up yet. The egg is cracked. What should i do? Remove it? Put the box in ASAP. How do I know if the egg is fertilized or not. I read the links and am lost.....

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Debora View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to this site and new to cockateils laying eggs. I have a male and female and came home to find an egg in the bottom of the cage. I have had the birds about a year and a half and they are almost 2 now. I have a breeding box but just got it and haven't put it up yet. The egg is cracked. What should i do? Remove it? Put the box in ASAP. How do I know if the egg is fertilized or not. I read the links and am lost.....
    These sites will hopefully answer any questions you have about damaged eggs:
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Birds-Gen...atiel-eggs.htm
    http://www.cockatielfoundation.com/b...maged-egg.html

I'd also suggest some of these sites which might help you with your candling questions, since I don't candle and can't really give you any tips.

http://www.cockatielsociety.org.au/articles/eggs.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2177065_cand...atiel-egg.html
    http://www.cockatiels.org/breeders/candeling-eggs.htm
    http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html

This one is also very informative though a little hair-raising because of the photos in it which are good but probably have way more detail than either of us want to see when we think about our tiel chicks.

http://www.avianweb.com/eggtoparrot.html