where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Our Stray Kitty Saga

Well the cat is at the vet.

He's a stray that has lived outside his entire life. He showed up at our house around 3 years ago. It took me a full year to get him to trust me enough. Last fall I finally gained his trust. He spent all winter living the high life inside but as soon as spring hit he wanted back out. He comes when I call him, rubs on me. The only thing I am scared of is when he plays he draws blood. Anyway, every night I feed him and whoever else is outside (usually a few of our cats lounge about instead of wanting inside). He finally came slowly to the house. When he jumped on the steps I noticed something wasn't right. He was acting the same, rubbing and meowing, but it looked like he couldn't close his mouth. So I grabbed a kennel and lured him in.

When I first seen his face I couldn't believe he was still being sweet. It looked like his bottom jaw had been ripped out, gone. When my husband came home from work last night he took a closer look. The cat hissed at him, and he seen his jaw is still there. It's his lower half of his mouth that's been ripped almost off.

So to the vet he went. They are going to knock him out to look at it and if his jaw is broke they will wire it and stitch his lip and skin back up. They are also going to clip those things between his legs since he'll be under.

We just finished paying the vet off in July for a cat we adopted out. Ahhhh...gotta love it.

Around here most people say "It's a stray take it out back and put it down yourself". Or "why mess with it". But he's hard a hard life and deserves better, now he will have just that.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Re: Our Stray Kitty Saga

Well he's now home. All drugged up and just got loaded up on some sliced turkey. He brought tears to my eyes. I put my finger in his kennel and he slowly came forward for me to rub his face and behind his ears. He's sleeping now. Here are a couple pictures and they are graphic. But he's all stitched up, his jaw was not broken it's just all the skin under and around his lower jaw. He also got his zag nuts clipped.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Aww, Tweetebirds, you are so good! Stray (since he doesn't have a name) is darn lucky that his path crossed with yours and that you care enough to take care of him. Some people would have just put him down or let him die from his injuries. Did the vet have any thoughts as to what might have happened to him?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I'm glad this baby found you. He's very cute, even with the hurt jaw. We have some strays around here and I feed them when I can, well, should I say... we have some idiots around here who bought cats in no-pet apartments so they live outside 24/7 even in deep cold snow and seem to be fed very infrequently. Gr! The things people do to cats is awful, but this guy was lucky to find someone who cares.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

I asked the vet if he could tell what happened. His response was "I have no idea and he ain't talking", lol. So I guess it will be a great mystery.

Yeah people around here would do the same thing let him sit and say "nature will take it's course". But like I said he's had a rough life and yet still wants nothing more then to be petted and loved. But only by me.

I thought maybe with him being injured and having him fixed he'd warm up to everyone else (humans) in the family, however that is NOT the case. With anyone else he lunges at the kennel, hissing and growling. With me he comes up and rubs and before this happened would almost trip me outside.

I have been handfeeding him food since he can't pick it up with his lower lip gone. Oh my does he have an attitude on him. If he can't pick something up or I drop it before he can get it he will growl to show his "happiness" about it. It's pretty funny actually. Everyone is scared of him, but I know he's a big softy and we have an understanding I think.

Marrie that just sucks. We have 11 cats now. We just had another show up July 4th. Little kitten you could feel every bone on her. Now she's fat and sassy (she bites my fingers and hands ALL the time). All but her are fixed and she's going in soon, had to wait for the vet bill on the stray first. People think they will be fine outside and don't realize they won't be. They can become a meal for another predator or starve to death, hit by a car, etc. It's just sad.

And I am really getting sick of people dumping them out here. I suppose they see our cats in the yard or lounging and think "Hey they have cats we can dump it here." Not realizing WE pay for the cat to be fixed and shots and any other medical that needs to be done. Out of our 11 the first cat we got we adopted all the rest have shown up here over the years and there have been more that we've given away after they were fixed and vaccinated.

Big Boy (the stray) is doing good. Ticked off he's stuck in a kennel and wants out. So today I will get out a bigger kennel with a litter box and more room for him. He can't be out in the house yet, just because if another cat and him get in a disagreement he could rip the stitches. So he's going to be in a good mood for awhile. And the name, heck I don't know, I started calling him that a few years ago and he comes to it. So when I took him in that's what they put down. I should change it to something meaning "fighter or strong" because he is both.

And he is going to be another house kitty, even if the only one he likes is me. He picked right Because what mom says goes, lol.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yeah, people don't understand proper care of animals. They probably think all you do is feed them, or let them come in at night if they dump them off at your place.

Hope everything keeps going well for him. Do you plan to keep him once he is better, or let him go back outside?

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Hope everything keeps going well for him. Do you plan to keep him once he is better, or let him go back outside?
    He will be an indoor kitty from now on. He stayed in the house all last winter (I sort of trapped him in the laundry room and then he had no desire to leave). When spring hit he was out the door. We live on almost 4 acres in the middle of no where, so our cats get to go outside and come in when they want to.

In the winter they are not allowed outside (and most of the time they would rather not step foot out the door). I'm hoping since this guy has now been fixed he will not want to head back out.

He's a good kitty and used the litter box when he was in the house last winter. I'm just thankful we have a large enough house that most of the time you don't see but maybe 1 or 2 cats, LOL.

So to answer your question...yes he will be an indoor kitty from now on

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Sounds like a really nice place for him. Hopefully he won't have the wandering bug. I had a dog like that once... took him in as a stray, he'd stay until he was healthy and well fed and fed up of humans then no fence could hold him. We eventually rehomed him to a guy with a 12ft tall fenced in kennel with a top and concrete lining the bottom for his outside time and he STILL got out when he was tired of being domestic and when he got hungry, he made it back to us from about 10 miles away, walked into our kitchen and asked for dinner. lol

Strays are such sweet little things most the time, always so full of spirit too.

How do your cats handle the birds... or rather, how do the birds handle the cats? lol

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

he's had a rough life and yet still wants nothing more then to be petted and loved. But only by me.
    All it takes is one person to make a difference. I'm so glad you gave this beautiful boy a chance and helped him when he needed it most. Don't listen to those who say he's not worth it.
    They're not worth listening to.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Well the kitty is doing better and better with each day. He has a HUGE attitude about going in his "kennel", which I wish I could hide in, it has a bed, litter box, food and water. What more could you ask for? LOL.

Anyway he is not allowed to roam the house when nobody is watching him for 2 reasons. I do not trust him with the birds (when they are out he is in his kennel) and I don't want him and another cat getting into a fight and the stitches being ripped out.

Now when I say attitude, I mean ATTITUDE!!! Our oldest tried to get him in it yesterday and the cat went into attack mode. Every time he sees it he growls. I'm the only one who can pick him up and put him back in, which I get to hear the grumbling. He follows me around like a lost puppy, doing figure 8's around my legs as I walk. Today he laid down on his back, stretched out, looked around and I swear smiled.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Yes he's tough, but you've got to admit a smiling cat waiting for some petting does pull at your heart strings specially when you know what he's been thru.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Marrie While I love our kitties I think they all understand that if they were to mess with a bird, they would no longer be living the high life here.

That and we are lucky enough to have a wonderful "teacher". Her name is Judy and she is a B&G. The only way to describe this bird is pure evil with a personality. I have never met a bird like her. She will chase you around the house (and I don't mean to be cute, she's out for blood) and be laughing this evil laugh the entire time, then when she has you cornered she will stop lift her foot and say "UP??" in the sweetest voice followed by attack mode and laughing again.

She really LOVES to antagonize the cats. They all at one time or another have felt the need to jump on her cage. I can't blame them, you look at what Judy is doing and she's playing with a toy or her towel in the corner acting like she could care less or that she don't even see them, until they make that fateful leap to the top of her cage, then like a rattlesnake she strikes. The lucky ones are so scared they fall off the cage, the unlucky ones get a bite to the tail. Usually it only takes that one time and then the cats run in fear from any bird. Some learn which cages they can sleep on without being skinned and others don't go near cages at all.

It's a little weird around here at times. We have an Umbrella named Chance that thinks she's a cat and almost all the cats accept her. Sometimes you will find her sitting along with a couple of her furry buddies or sleeping on a chair with one. She preens them and feeds them her nutraberries (yes the cats eat nutraberries) or whatever she's eating, she drops it for them, then watches them eat it.

We had a momma kitty show up here a few years ago. She was pregnant, walked in the house and acted like she had been here for years. When she had her kittens I had a hard time keeping Chance away. She would climb in the box with momma kitty and the kittens, lay her head down on mom and preen the baby kittens whiskers.

Of course I do NOT leave the room when the birds and cats are out together. And the cats do get locked up when babies are exploring and learning to fly.

The cats sleep and eat with the dogs, they eat nutraberries and veggies, actually prefer both over meat. When the cats are outside they leave the birds alone ( I've watched them from the window). We have geese, ducks and chickens and often times have babies outside running around, the cats have never killed or attacked a single one.

It sounds funny. But until now and actually typing it out, it really does sound weird around here, LOL. I mean that everyone gets along so well. Maybe everyone knows how good they got it? Maybe it's a mutual respect? Or that they know "mom" is boss and is always watching. I don't know and can't explain it.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post
    Yes he's tough, but you've got to admit a smiling cat waiting for some petting does pull at your heart strings specially when you know what he's been thru.
    Yeah but he is a little scary. He doesn't know "proper" kitty etiquette. When he wants to play he uses full force claws and teeth. When he wants to be petted he will grab you with his teeth, if you are lucky it's your shirt and not flesh. He has started to purr, but usually instead of purring he growls and that means he's happy, it's actually a grunting growl, lol. And you tell him "No" then you get attack kitty. It's actually pretty funny, scary but funny.