where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pest Control

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Pest Control

Since I moved to Atlanta 2 months ago, I have noticed an unacceptable number of spiders of various types in my apartment. (Now for the record... I have an irrational fear of spiders. I had an irrational fear of snakes a few years ago... so I bought some and kept them. Got over it. Not gonna do that with spiders. All spiders can die. Something that small that can hurt me that badly... screw 'em.)

Anyway, my apartment complex has pest control I pay for monthly, no matter if I request it or not. And I want to request it, but I'm unsure if it's safe with my birds. Any experience / recommendations? Just call the company and ask if their chemicals are bird safe?

And if they aren't bird safe, any recommendations for home perimeter chemicals I can get at home depot?
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Pest Control

Most pest control services will say pet safe, even if they are not bird safe, they don't know any better. If they spray, you can move the birds to a friends or hotel room for a few days to let the chemicals air out, but my apartment that had pest control used some sort of air filter thing... and that I wouldn't want around my bird, so I would ask what they do exactly.

I have never seen at-home spider treatment like with ants/roaches at home depot... but they do sell spider bait traps, you maybe could try those?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

There are spider traps you can buy. They are like little pieces of paper with goo on the inside and you roll them into little rectangles. For the record, (to my knowledge), 0 people have died from spider bites in the USA since 199X, and of the millions of subspecies, only three are dangerous beyond bee-sting or mosquito bite level (such as fetid skin and huge sores) and those are hobo, brown recluse and black widow. House spiders, jumping spiders, small hunting spiders, etc. are not harmful in any way to humans and they are the most common.

If you google search "Spider Identification Chart" you can figure out what spiders you have and if they are harmful or not (chances are they aren't), and unless you live in the Great Plains, near the Coast mountains/Southwest or on the upper Pacific coast, there's a very low chance you have one of the big Three. The very uppermost crest of West Florida has some sightings of brown recluse spiders, but I wouldn't be too worried.

That's just my two cents though. I'm one of those who'd rather have spiders than all of the other creepy crawlies the spiders hunt. They're like centipede/silverfish police.

(EDIT): If you do get the gooey spider traps, don't let your birds walk around in the same room as them. The traps are even stickier than flypaper and if a birdie's nares or eyes get stuck in there because they were pecking it, your bird is in some serious trouble.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I don't like killing insects unless I have to and, unless it's a spider that is eating a 6 legged thing or it's outside, my theory is that that is why God gave us shoes (as in take off & splat). I' rather have lizards in the house.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I don't think I have ever killed a spider, I killed a fly once accidentally and I felt awful so it's a cup and a piece of paper and outside they go lol

If you do use the spider bait traps that are sticky, there is a thread in general section about removing sticky glue from those sorts of things from bird feathers, so you can be prepared for emergencies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

Oh goody. I didn't know there was another pseudo-Jainist in the crowd. I don't kill spiders either.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I don't know about all pest treatments to be safe. Some could be.Please update this post as you deal with these bug treatment people. I would like to know more about this.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Thanks everyone... well I'm far from even a pusedo-janist... hey if I step on a bug and kill it, I have helped it speed its reincarnation back to human life, thus nirvana**

I've seen those glue traps before.. and I really think those are just really evil... rather sadomasochistic.

And Andy, I appreciate the info... I understand I can't die from a spider bite... but when I was in 3rd grade, a teachers assistant got bit on the back of the hand by a black widow (I think? It was in the SF Bay Area, Cali), and was out for months, had to have the back of her hand dug out, etc... it left a scar on me for life. I know it's 99.999% improbable that I'd die from one, but I seriously don't want that to happen to me. And a friend of mine got bitten by a brown recluse a few years ago, and she had to undergo a lot of medical treatment... but that was before I knew her.

So.... long rambling short... I'd rather not get close enough to see if it's dangerous or not. Dead. Period. Sorry.

** Jains believe in reincarnation; humans are the second highest level you can get in the hierarchy. If you lead a good life as a monk, you can reach nirvana. If you lead a bad life, you can be reincarnated as a lower being, down to an amoeba. Jain monks travel throughout the mountains not wearing any shoes and wearing scarfs over their mouths, making every possible attempt to not to kill any small bug, or accidentally ingest any lying bug, for that little bug you just accidentally killed could be your grandmother.

My take on this, is that if you accidentally kill a bug, wouldn't you be doing it a favor, by shortening it's life in this punishment life, thus helping to reach nirvana quicker?
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Their life would end and begin again, but you would be taking a step back in your own journey by not doing everything possible to preserve life. So, maybe not so bad for them... but, not so good for you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

Yeah, a Jain's "good life" scale is most strongly influenced by how much life they preserve.

I'm not religiously against killing bugs, I'm just a total weenie and I don't have the guts to; also it makes me feel guilty.

About the spiders: Is your house in California? That is indeed the area where Black Widows exist, and if your friend got bit by a Brown Recluse (assuming that is in Florida, no? That's based on their habitat plus your profile location.), I guess they are in Tallahassee's neck of the woods after all. My Arachnology fieldbook lied to me! D:

If that's the case, then all I can say is this: You must do what you think is right.

...But give the birdies a vote.
    Last edited by Keidiek; 10-11-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Well the exterminator said to keep the birds out of my apartment for 12 hours after they spray. I don't have anywhere they can go, so they are just going to spray around the outside of my doors and do a perimeter treatment of the building, and see if that helps.
    --Russell