where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bath time

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tracilea
    Thanks

Bath time

I am looking for some advice on bath time :-)
    Basically, how do you get it started? I put a small bowl of water in the tank I have set up downstairs for Tika (though she is in it the least amount of time a day, less then an hour since she ends up on me while we're down there lol) and I tried a bowl of water on my bed to see if she'd go for it to bath and it was a no go. How do I get her to take a bath? Should I just plunk her in the bowl so she realizes? She has been with us for a week now. I don't want to risk upsetting her and then she has trust issues with me. How should I go about introducing her to bath time? Thanks :-)

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Bath time

I don't have lovies but I'll give you a run down on who bathes and how. Daisy (Quaker) will only take a bath in her larger steel water bowl or in the Quaker boys drinking water. JJ & Baby (Quakers) will only bathe in the red plastic heart shaped bowl in the tiels cage. Theo & Sonny (tiels) only like to be sprayed; Indie & Peeps like to stand in the heart shaped bowl or a bowl in the kitchen sink and be sprayed. Beni & Loki will bathe in their rectangular white bowl in their cage or on the kitchen counter.

Running water in the kitchen sink seems to make all of this extra exciting for the Quaker boys, Indie & Peeps, Beni & Loki. Splashing my fingers in a water bowl also seems to make it exciting for Daisy. I guess they're like people - some like showers & others like baths.

When I say sprayed I should really have said misted - big difference.
    Last edited by SandraK; 10-29-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Correction

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My tiel likes showers, spray bottle from wal-mart for $1, cleaned out and with warm water in it. Simulate rain, usually while he's standing on me, he's happy. But, I have to get wet too and it can't be a shower in the actual shower because the running water scares him. Oh and I have to be wearing a shirt that's easy for him to grip once it gets soaked and won't get cold.

Experiment with different bowls, times, places, shower, when she trusts you more you could try taking her in the shower with you. They all have their little personality quirks, it's part of getting to know your bird. Good luck finding out how she likes it.

Thanks

Ham told me how she liked it. One day she just started splashing away in her water bowl so I bought a small ceramic dog dish and she loves to splish splash every 3 days in it. I think in a few days your bird will let you know how she likes to bathe. Lovebirds seem to be very good at communicating their wants.
    We got lots of Ham here

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I use a spray bottle to mist my birds. Not just that birds may not like bath, I don't like to force them to do anything they don't like, if it can be done other ways. Anyhow, I dig squirting them with the mister and they seem to like it also.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tracilea
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice :-) I will try experimenting around with all the idea's to see which one Tika likes better :-) Though I suspect she may not like getting wet and cold lol She's a snuggle bug and is always trying to snuggle in my shirt to get warm lol In the mornings she's snuggles under my robe lol Its so amazing to see how much personality they have :-) She is VERY persistant about it too lol she does not take no for an answer lol If I take her out and put her back on my shoulder, she just goes RIGHT back in my shirt lol Silly girl

Thanks

When I first got Ham for the longest time I never saw her bathe, but I would come back to a lot of water splashed outside the cage in drops.
    We got lots of Ham here

Remove Ads