Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sylvia
    Thanks

Diamond dove help: is he sick?

Hello! I'm new to this community and signed up mainly because of a concern I have for a little diamond I purchased two days ago. The bird seems healthy (to me, but I'm no expert..) but all day he's been running back and forth against the side of the cage facing me. I thought maybe he wanted to fly or come out but whenever I return him to the cage he'll perch, nibble some seeds and resume this strange behavior. It's starting to make me a little nervous.. Does anyone have any idea what this could be about?

update: he seems to be fluffed up all the time, i wasn't aware that this was a bad sign ;_; i've hooked up a plain desk lamp that he seems to enjoy sitting under for now that provides a little extra warmth and i'll pick up something proper from the pet store on the way home tomorrow. is there anything else i should do?
    Last edited by xcanary; 11-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Bird Brain within Brand New Egg Avi's Avatar
    Name
    Candice
    Thanks

Re: Diamond dove help: is he sick?

I got a heater for my birds... *Just a tiny human one* But, my birds ARE always floofy, They are fine. My birds do the cage dance also, they just want out...
    My 'Keets
    Avi and Ni & introducing Eva

My 'Tiel
    Rehmey.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Hi,

I've had Diamonds for many years... he could just be still adjusting to a new owner and environment. Is his cage big enough?? Did he perhaps have a mate before you got him? The fluffiness, provided he is active (and eating, drinking, preening) otherwise, might just mean that he is cold...

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Could be just getting used to a new place to live. As for the heater, sure he would enjoy that. It is just about winter now and cold.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sylvia
    Thanks

thank you so much for the responses. I'm told that the dove is four months old so i doubt it's that he's had a mate. The cage is a little larger than a couple of sites recommended, and he has two perches, a flat perch and a little swing (which he loves!) I see him eat quite often, and i've seen him take a couple sips of water three or four times since he's come into my care. I'm a little worried about the grit, should I mix it in with his food or leave it seperate? I've only ever had parakeets before so i'm learning! It must just be the cold then, I went out and bought a heating lamp for my pampered birdie and will set it up soon. The winters here are chilly and with the horrid luck I have my room always ends up getting the least heat, and the cat thinks every other room in the house is her kingdom! I'll update you all on how little Dodo likes the lamp :}

ps: is it normal for his coo to sound a little funny? i mean, not 'coo-like'? I heard him make a series of short 'woos' but they sounded more like grumbles than singing! cute but odd to me.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xcanary View Post
    thank you so much for the responses. I'm told that the dove is four months old so i doubt it's that he's had a mate. The cage is a little larger than a couple of sites recommended, and he has two perches, a flat perch and a little swing (which he loves!) I see him eat quite often, and i've seen him take a couple sips of water three or four times since he's come into my care. I'm a little worried about the grit, should I mix it in with his food or leave it seperate? I've only ever had parakeets before so i'm learning! It must just be the cold then, I went out and bought a heating lamp for my pampered birdie and will set it up soon. The winters here are chilly and with the horrid luck I have my room always ends up getting the least heat, and the cat thinks every other room in the house is her kingdom! I'll update you all on how little Dodo likes the lamp :}

ps: is it normal for his coo to sound a little funny? i mean, not 'coo-like'? I heard him make a series of short 'woos' but they sounded more like grumbles than singing! cute but odd to me.
    I have two female diamonds. Their coo is much different from my ringneck or any of the mourning doves outside. They kind of murmur "bu-bu, bu-bu," never becoming very loud. Once in a while, the girls make croaky and squeaky noises to each other like they are having a conversation. Often that is right when they settle in to go to sleep, or when they are looking at something new and weird (or they're mad because I came home late and suddenly turned on the light...) On the other hand, my ringneck seems very proud of his "cooooo-crrrrruuu-ruuuu" sound.

The pacing you are talking about does not seem quite normal, though as others have stated he might be a bit nervous. The closest normal behavior I can think of is that my girls like to play "tag" from about 9am-11am every day, rambunctiously chasing each other around and jumping off their perches into their bowl over and over (I assume it is fun to make the seeds spray everywhere--they sure do make a mess lol). They do not run around after their hyper time of day so much though, and do spend a lot of time sitting in their food dish, nest, fuzzy tent, swing, and perches.

Does he have a nest? My room gets cold as well, and it has helped my girls to have a nest with some cotton (made specifically for bird nesting material--no chemicals) in it to make it fluffy and warm. They lose a lot of heat through their feet, and now that they have a soft cuddly bed, they seem to stay warmer. I also cover 3 sides of the cage with an old wool blanket, and a fuzzy tent is available in the cage if they don't feel like sitting on the nest, or if one decides to hog it.

Are you thinking of ever getting him a mate? This would be good for him psychologically, and they could cuddle if they get cold despite your heat lamps. Plus, I have noticed that the girls really love to play with each other all day. If you are worried about ending up with a million babies, you could get fake eggs to replace the real ones with.