Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Steel cut oats!

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

Steel cut oats!

Taz(15 year old grey split pied male) just goes nuts over my steel cut oatmeal! It seems to be his favorite of all human foods. He will pretty much gorge himself on it if given the chance.

I am guessing that it is healthier than seed mix because it low fat & very complex carbohydrate/low glycemic index. But also not as much nutrition as pellets. Still pretty good for him to be eating a lot for breakfast? It is getting to be more than just a treat because he will want to eat a good sized portion every time I eat it and will try to jump right into the middle of my meal if I don't share

Also it is very sticky, wondering if there is a chance of something getting stuck in his crop? Seems fine though. he gets little pieces of oatmeal stuck to his beak or face and shakes his head around and oatmeal flies off his beak and sticks to whatever object in the room that it happens to hit Or he will rub the oatmeal off on me.

Bonus pic of Taz w/ oatmeal

If anyone remembers Taz's foot injury... He got a lot better and was pretty much back to normal and off his pain meds. About a month ago I clipped one of his nails too short and couldn't stop the bleeding despite various efforts and had to take him to the vet where they stopped the bleeding and gave him some fluids... The little ordeal tweaked out his foot again =/ He is back on a high dose of the pain meds and I think his foot is getting better again.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Steel cut oats!

Oh no about his foot injury and hopefully it will get better soon. I think the oats are fine for him but maybe he shouldn't be hogging so many of them down. Funny I worried about sticky things clogging up boomer too but that never happened to him and he was a piglet!

I like Taz's dirty beak picture and I bet he makes a big mess when he flings it off.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

From the nutrional information I could find it looks fine for him, though it has some sugar in it, so that is the only problem I see. My tiel eats birdy oatmeal all the time (beak appetit cream of tweet ) and hasn't had any issues with it being sticky.

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

shouldn't be any sugar in it unless I add it... Which I don't because it tastes just fine plain. I may add some raisins, but Taz isn't allowed any. Not sure if they are bad for birds but I know they can poison dogs. just plain cooked steel cut oats for Taz. They just look like slightly chopped up little seeds. Minimal processing.

I guess he will get a smaller portion haha. Wish he would like the bird bread I baked for him that much!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

The quaker brand steel cut oats has some sugar in it, not sure if all brands do. That is probably natural sugar, which is in a lot of foods, not the granulated sugar we use to sweeten foods.

Raisins aren't toxic to birds, several seed mixes at the store have raisins, beak appetit's gourmet bird food has raisins... my bird won't eat them though. If he likes the oatmeal that much you could try making him some with veggies and stuff added in. Beak appetit at home

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You can buy steel cut oats fresh from natural food stores, since you are from California and we seem to be overloaded with natural health food stores and co-ops you shouldnt have any troubles finding nice organic fresh oats for Taz and you. I tried to get my daughter to eat them this way and she didnt like them because they were chunky and not like the Quaker brand she adores and still eats today.
    Last edited by boomer girl; 12-10-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Bryan
    Thanks

ahh yeah no quakers for me... I buy my oatmeal at the hippie food store. First brand I got was McCann's Irish Oatmeal which is good, but a little expensive because it is imported from Ireland. Now I buy the stuff made by Bob's Red Mill which is a company located in the US. So it is much cheaper due to not being imported and seems to be an identical product. Honestly they taste great(Taz says so) and if its too bland just add some raisins.