Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

is this aloe juice ok?

Sammy seems to have a couple of spots where he's thinning feathers, and a couple of times I'ved heard him yelp when preening- otherwise he's his usual happy, chirpy, naughty little self. I'm thinking the heating and dehumidifier might be bothering him a little. He hates, hates, HATES being sprayed- but i did chase him down with some soother earlier. Didnt seem worth the stress- So i got some aloe vera juice from the health shop

this is the one i bought. http://www.gnc.co.uk/herbal-suppleme...ce/product.htm

Can anyone tell me if it's ok to use in a bird's bath water and how much you would dilute it for a little lovebird like Sammy?

thanks!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: is this aloe juice ok?

That aloe should be fine, if you want though the organic aloe juices don't tend to use preservatives. They still use mold inhibitors though, for safety.

As for diluting, maybe a teaspoon in a bowl of bath water. Depends on how big his bath is. My tiel is having the same issue where he yelps a little when preening, stupid heat

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I use a big old pasta dish as his bath. About 25cm wide and probably filled about 2 cm deep. I;m thinking maybe 2 teaspoons or so in that big dish?

I think the one i have is organic... or at least it is certified as "naturally grown". The only stuff it has in it is: 100% Stabilised Aloe Vera, Preservatives: Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Banzoate, Citric Acid. I'm guessing they are the mold reducers?

I think the problem is the dry heat. We have to switch the dehumidifier on else we get mold, and without the heating- it gets COLD. It's minus 5 at the moment and dropping rapidly! I have to seriously recommend Avix Soother- i've had amazing results with it in the past- but it only works if your bird doesnt mind showers. Sammy HATES being sprayed- so i have to chase him, or corner him to spritz him, and the stress can only make things worse. Whereas he'll throw himself straight into a dish lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The citric acid would stop the mold and I think it preserves it too. I have no idea what the other things in it are??? Boomer didn't like to be sprayed either and wouldnt take a bath with anything but water in it so I would put the soother on my hands and then hold boomer in my hands with them all around him to get him wet. He hated it but liked it much better then he did getting sprayed.

Have you given Sammy any Red Palm Oil in his soft foods? I hear this is super good and helps there feathers and skin stay nice and soft just like the aloe does but since it works from the inside you dont have to worry about spraying it on him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yeah those would be mold prohibitors. All are acidic anti-fungal preservatives.

I'm awful with metric, but 2 would be fine in that big a dish. Maybe a tablespoon.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Sammy hates being held, so i can't do it that way
    He also LOATHES soft food. It's ever so odd- it's like he doesn't like getting his beak dirty- even when he just has a drink he has to wipe wipe wipe wipe his beak all over the cage. or me. He gets avix booster (red palm oil plus immune enhancers from the vet) every couple of days- but he HATES it. Usually takes about an hour of starving him, then offering it on millet and then a lot of teasing and persuasion before he'll eat it. Silly boy doesnt know what's good for him lol

Fortunately he loves bathing so much he doesnt care if i put stuff in the water. At least i can get him this way.

As it has preservatives in, do you think it needs go in the fridge? Bottle doesnt say anything either way.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Umm, not sure. I usually just leave aloe out, but that is lotion... if I want pure aloe I usually snap a leaf off a plant. If the bottle doesn't say anything, it shouldn't need put in fridge, since it is for human consumption.