Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Unhappy Stinky bird cage

Hi. My Ekkie's cage is in my bedroom. Both are very large. His cage and my room. I have newspaper lining his cage bottom which I change everyday. And I have 2 big baking sodas boxes in there too. His cage still makes my room smell like urine. Is this normal? I always thought bird poop was odorless but his reeks like urine. Any tips on how to avoid this? Nothing in the cage is soiled. He rarely moves around his cage as he is only in it to sleep. And I have all his toys and perches oriented so he drops straight to the bottom of cage and not on other toys and perches.
    Thanks.
    Danielle, mommy of 5 year old male Eclectus Parrot

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Stinky bird cage

Never had a problem with smell with my bird, could possibly be a species thing since Eclectus are different than other parrots in diet/digestion... but typically if a birds droppings have a strong smell there is something wrong.

You could try natural scents, boiled orange/cinnamon to make a safe air freshener, dried lavender, etc.

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

I believe the trouble is not the odor poop but the trouble is bonded at the use of the newspaper in the bottom of the cage.
    you could solve easy the problem if you had used the grit or better the ground for cats in the bottom of the cage instead of the newspaper (the same material where the cats produce their droppings).
    the newspaper has two negative point :
    1)it creates bad smell( I deem is bonded at generation of the chemical reaction between poop and ink)
    2)in the newspaper there is the ink that can be danger if the birds eat it.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Never had a problem with smell with my bird, could possibly be a species thing since Eclectus are different than other parrots in diet/digestion... but typically if a birds droppings have a strong smell there is something wrong.

You could try natural scents, boiled orange/cinnamon to make a safe air freshener, dried lavender, etc.
    I agree.

We also use newspaper to line our cages but there's never any smell. Does the poop LOOK abnormal at all? I've never come across urine/foul smelling bird poop, even with Eclectus.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I believe you are suggesting using cat litter for the bird cage? Cat litter in the U.S. comes with a warning sign that the dust it creates is dangerous to pregnant women - clay mixed with chemicals can harm the baby, so I would not trust that with my bird, personally.

Newspapers (at least over here) use soy based inks, which are odorless and harmless if ingested. To tell if the newspaper is using soy based ink, soy inks rub off very easily. Personally, I use plain white printer paper. But I know a lot of people use newspapers with no issue, as long as you don't use the glossy color sections (as those are not soy based).

Edit: My suggestion to the OP would be to see a vet if the birds droppings are carrying a strong odor.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I believe you are suggesting using cat litter for the bird cage? Cat litter in the U.S. comes with a warning sign that the dust it creates is dangerous to pregnant women - clay mixed with chemicals can harm the baby, so I would not trust that with my bird, personally.

Newspapers (at least over here) use soy based inks, which are odorless and harmless if ingested. To tell if the newspaper is using soy based ink, soy inks rub off very easily. Personally, I use plain white printer paper. But I know a lot of people use newspapers with no issue, as long as you don't use the glossy color sections (as those are not soy based).

Edit: My suggestion to the OP would be to see a vet if the birds droppings are carrying a strong odor.
    Cat litter??? Oh man! Can you imagine if the bird got to it and ingested it?? I don't know a single person that uses or would recommend using cat litter... On top of that, I'd think it'd be hard to monitor poop using soaking/clumping agents like kitty litter. One of the best ways to monitor health is by the poop.

I used to use plain white paper towels for years because it LOOKED nice. Now that we have a mortgage, I'm quite content with using my parents newspapers after they're done reading it. Hehe. And I agree, I wouldn't use glossy newspaper ads!

How do you get your printer paper from shifting or blowing around by the wind or flapping of the wings? Do you tape them?

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

yes, you are right! I forgot to say an important thing.
    on the box of the cat litter must be written "natural product" (like the sepiolite ) and don't must be added chemical elements that create the ball when the cat makes the his urine.
    unfortunately like you above have written there are a lot of products where have added chemical elements however it is sufficient to read the bill of material on the box for check if the product is natural.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Nope, I just put it down in enough layers that it covers the bottom and I have a grate on the cage, it doesn't move when he goes nuts, not even from a night fright. But my bird is also small being a cockatiel, might be different with a bigger bird with stronger wings

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maya_exquisite View Post
    Cat litter??? Oh man! Can you imagine if the bird got to it and ingested it?? I don't know a single person that uses or would recommend using cat litter...
    excuse me only now have read your message.
    I replied to marrie and I did not see your interesting message.

yes! there is the possibility that the birds eat the cat litter also if we ,expert breeders, use a grate on the bottom of the cage.
    this thing it is not strange for who has some knowledge about the birds.
    you certainly ignore that in nature many birds eat some small stones because they help the digestion through the motion of the stones in the stomach that shred the high stiffness food.
    it is necessary to make sure that the bill of material of the cat litter is consisted of natural elements.
    if these products are born for absorb the cat's poop and urine then they certainly are able to absorb the bird's small poop.
    you try to imagine the difference of size beetween the cat poop than bird poop.
    yes, you are right; you don't know a single person that uses or would recommend using cat litter but maybe you never met a true bird breeder.
    Last edited by marc1972; 01-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

Cat litter in the U.S. comes with a warning sign that the dust it creates is dangerous to pregnant women
    I believe you are mistaken here, Marrie... the warning is not that the cat litter itself is harmful, but that the soiled litter is. Same reason as pregnant woman are better off avoiding gardening or eating veggies straight out of their garden.... cat feces often carries toxoplasmosis, which is very bad for the baby. Pregnant women should be very careful around cats throughout the duration of their pregnancy.

Certain cat litters are perfectly fine for birds to use.... especially if they cannot reach them.

I like to use Stall Dry in the bottom of my cages... it's diatomaceous earth and mammiliorite (I can't spell) clay granules. It soaks up moisture and eliminates odor... cost about $14 for a 50lb bag at the local feed store.

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

My aunt uses natural wheat cat litter, which I assume wouldn't be bad for birds...

For my fids, I used This. It worked wonders. I could put several pieces in the bottom of each grate, and just take off the top piece every day. Even after baths, the water wouldn't soak through the paper, so the ones underneath were fresh and clean. And they are perfectly safe.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

I use pre-cut pieces of fleece on the bottom of my cage and I love it! I would never want to go back to newspaper or anything else. I keep the fleece on top of the grate so he can forrage if thinngs drop (which he loves, because most yummy things drop at some point), then just shake it off and drop a few in the wash when there are a few of them arround.

I agree though, I don't think you should have a smell on a clean cage. Do you scrub it down with something like vinegar? It might be worth a vet visit.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

My bird can't get to the newspaper. There is a grate 7 inches up from the paper.
    What is this cat stuff u speak of?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Actually, that is ONE reason it is suggested to avoid cat litter boxes during pregnancy. Respiratory distress from the dust is another, because most cat litters contain silicon (or silica dust). It can cause lung problems (silica dust stays in the lungs when inhaled), including a triggering of asthma which in pregnant women can be dangerous. The third reason is worms and other parasites which may exist in a cats feces. Obviously not all litters use silica dust, but many do.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Isn't that kind of gross to let your bird forage for yummy stuff that is dropping in his poop? Maybe I misunderstood how u described it. The felt does seem like a good idea. The bird poop sticks to it and u just put the whole thing in your washer? Poop and all? Lol.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Your three birds are all color coordinated. Did u plan that? They r so sweet!!

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4siegel View Post
    Isn't that kind of gross to let your bird forage for yummy stuff that is dropping in his poop? Maybe I misunderstood how u described it. The felt does seem like a good idea. The bird poop sticks to it and u just put the whole thing in your washer? Poop and all? Lol.
    It isn't a big deal at all. My bird doesn't poop every 15 minutes, there are usually a few poops down there and he leaves them alone. He has a large bird cage and can easily walk around the bottom and avoid it. Plus, the fleece (not felt) gets changed very regularly, so it doesn't "collect" so to speak. It is easy enough to shake the fleece off into the trash and stick it in the washer (I am not just sticking a fleece filled with poop in the washer...).

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My bird thinks his droppings once they dry are toys(he picks it up and throws it around if he can reach it, ew!), so that wouldn't work for my cage. But, if the bird ignores the droppings, saves a grate scrubbing (which is a pain). Sounds like a good plan to me, unless you have my tiel or Toby the flinger

Hormonal
    Thanks

our ekky's cage doesnt smell
    we have pellets in one cage and just a grate
    another cage has newspaper
    poops dont smell no matter what he eats
    hope all will be ok