where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: help me decide

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sue
    Thanks

help me decide

which of the 3 birds is the easiest to train and most loving,,budgie,lovebird,or cocketail?

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: help me decide

Depends on what you mean by train or loving. I only have tiels of the 3 you mention, one is slightly handicapped and very lovable and loving, the other is my velcro tiel who, if given the chance, would wake up, shower, dress, go to work, come home, cook dinner and go to bed with me. I am sure that you will have other bird owners who will give you exactly the same descriptions of the other two birds. I'd like to say that how your bird turns out depends on you and how it was handled before you got it (in other words a total crapshoot).

The other tiels will step up and let me scritch them a little but they're not cuddly nor velcro like Theo & Indie.
    Last edited by SandraK; 01-16-2011 at 06:11 PM.

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I have a 16 y/o female lovebird, Skittles who is beyond loving. She's gentle, sweet, adorable and the cuddliest thing you'll ever meet.

But I've also had a devil lovebird who was the spawn of satan

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post
    the other is my velcro tiel who, if given the chance, would wake up, shower, dress, go to work, come home, cook dinner and go to bed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    But I've also had a devil lovebird who was the spawn of satan
    I am agree with both and I would like add that every parrot, regardless of the species has his behaviour; so you can get an bird that does every thing with you ;she get up, she does the shower,she gets dressed, she goes to work,she cooks the dinner, she goes in bed with you and she does sex with you (ahaha, if you will find her then I advise you to leave your wife)
    however you can find a parrot that like Lauren has written can be an little evil.
    I think,though, the best solution is that to give him/her too much love, regardless of the species,so you will have more chance that also the animal love you.
    Last edited by marc1972; 01-16-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks

My mother summed up my lovebird perfectly:

"She always has that guilty look"

I happen to like the mischief. Its a sign of intelligence to me. My impression of the few cockatiels I've known is nice, laid back, but a little dull personality wise.
    We got lots of Ham here

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I cannot speak about budgies and lovebirds from personal experience, as I have never kept them.

I have had several cockatiels. In general, I think cockatiels are generally laid back birds who, when tame and comfortable, are sweet as pie. They have loving, gentle natures. The tamer cockatiels I have had never bit me - ever. They might "mock bite" but it is just gesturing and noise-making, with no real power behind it. A tame cockatiel is generally content to hang out on you, preen, cheep, and wander around looking for things to chew on. I love their personalities. On the flip side, a less tamed tiel is not going to be aggressive, but it might be skittish and peevish. Tame or not, cockatiels are very fast, strong fliers who startle easily -- this can lead to mindless flying and crashes at scary objects or noises. In general, a sweet, baby cockatiel socialized to people is an excellent first bird, provided that you have time every day to let him / her out.

Cockatiels are also very, well, "toned down" in the temperament. They have very sweet, even personalities, and are aware but not overly deep thinkers. They are not bouncy or high-energy. If you want action and constant entertainment, you may prefer a budgie, which tend to be in constant motion, or a lovebirds, which seem always to be in trouble.

So, it really depends on what you are looking for in a companion.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I think it just depends on the bird itself. Most birds will work out. Sometimes you will have a bird that bullies the other birds. Also depends on how the bird is treated, as fodd and good housing cheer up birds just as they do for their human owners. Also, there are birds that just are not real friendlt by nature.

Thanks

On a completely random note, I keep reading the OP's handle as "suet" instead of Sue. I think I've been feeding wild birds too long.
    We got lots of Ham here

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Cockatiels are very sweet - I had one when I was a kid and I have one now and have known a few that I didn't get to keep. Mine is a total velcro bird, his favorite thing to do is climb all over me and be on my shoulder if I am walking around the house. He demands kisses, scritches (with nose, he hates hands) and has never bitten me (though he will annoyed beak me, it never hurts, more like touching me with his beak than biting while making the annoyed squawk or hiss). He sings to me when he wakes up and sings to me when he is ready for bed and sings randomly throughout the day. It is very nice to wake up to a tiel morning song. He goes with me everywhere, except outside because there is no way he would tolerate a harness. Right now he is sitting in my lap preening while I type, though sometimes he likes to try to help

Tiels are generally docile and can even be picked on by smaller birds, such as budgies.

Now, I will give the warning of, I have seen aggression in tiels. They aren't all sweethearts. Even my little spoiled sweetheart of a bird has shown certain aggressive behaviors. All birds have the potential to bite.

When my bird turned 1 year old he had major hormone issues - he got territorial and dive bombed my boyfriend when he would enter his room (which is the living room) and bit the blood out of him several times. He has never hurt me, nor would he ever hurt me, he thinks I am his mate. The aggression towards my boyfriend stopped within a few weeks.

When I was a kid, my tiel who was not tame at all (pet store bird, picked on by cage mates) and had serious biting issues (everyone had gotten the blood bit out of them by him, but we loved him anyway).

It really all depends on the bird, but even a bird from a bad background can become loving with enough patience. I think all three would suit, if that is your only requirement.

Hormonal
    Thanks

we have had lots of birds
    and im very old lol

ive had a corella when i was a kid and one with OH as an adult...too noisy
    i never recommend big parrots fullstop

ive had tiels princess budgies and lots of softbills

we have a brilliant princess ...one of a kind
    and lots of tiels and budgies
    tiels interact more
    than the budgies
    but the best ones i find are the handraised males
    and ones raised on a spoon...from a loving small breeder not a battery operator lol

Name
    Nichole
    Thanks

I would just like to say you only really get out of a bird what you put into it. If you don't spend time with the bird a lot you will never get anywhere for taming it. I own both cockatiels and budgies and I have tame ones of both. I would not say that one was easier to train/tame than the other but they both took alot of time attention and patience on my part.

Good Luck with which ever one you decide. They are all a nice choice of birds and each individual bird has their quirks that you will find you adore.
    NIchole is owned by 12 budgies Summer, Shadow, Autumn, Kalipso,Clover, Boo, Luna, Bam Bam, Pebbels, Bandit, Kinder and Aaron. 3 cockatiels (Moon, Dusty and Pepper) as well as 2 dogs (Sonic and Buddy)

RIP Sampson my puppy you will never be forgotten! You were a good dog and an amazing companion. I miss you so much! XOXOX 08/14/08-03/27/10

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I'll add my official opinion:

I'd say a lot of birds who are accepting of strangers the FIRST time you interact with them, don't tend to stray far from their personality if/when you bring them home. Yes there are exceptions, so this does not apply to ALL.

I would interact with EVERY bird you can, be hands on, treat it like it were your own. Ask it to step up, approach it with your finger etc...

All my lovebirds at least have been like that.

Regardless though, interaction is KEY!

I remember I went to look at a Cherry Headed conure and I was VERY uncomfortable with him. I felt better handling a moluccan cockatoo than I did that bird. He would NOT give a sign when he went to bite, he would just attack. He did the same to his owner, who had him for 5 years. And he just didn't improve.
    For that reason, I did NOT come home with him.

If you have ANY negative vibes about a bird, do NOT ignore it. It will save you grief, pain and heartbreak in the long run. Please trust me on that one.

Remove Ads