where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue and Gold Macaw

Name
    Leanna
    Thanks

Blue and Gold Macaw

I have always loved Macaws but never dreamed that I would have one... well a gal i work with in wildlife rehabilitation, works at a vet in her spare time, and the owner of a blue and gold that she was friends with finaly came to the decision that she was no longer paying the her the attention she deserved and thus she would find her a GOOD home, she asked my friend to help her find that home.

my rehaber friend knows home much i love birds and she has seen me take in sick and abused birds and bring them back from the brink. she knows im capable. and so who did she call?!?!?!? ME!! i just got back from meeting this bird and it whent better than i had hoped.

i will go see coco(the bird) a few more times and then i will bring her home. she has a MASSIVE steel cage and a HUGE java play stand.

any other macaw owners on the site?? i would love to hear about your babys

PS shes molting now, shes not a plucker.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Re: Blue and Gold Macaw

That definitely doesn't look like just molting to me...

If she was just molting, wouldn't some head/neck feathers be missing also? The only feathers that I can see that are missing are ones that she can reach to pluck.

But congrats on your new fid. At least now she will get the attention that she deserves.

Blue and Golds are my absolute favorite and I would love to own one one day.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

That's not molting. Molting she will have shafts on the feathers, her head would look like a porcupine. She's a plucker, more then likely from lack of attention (boredom), possibly diet or both. We are owned by 5 macaws. They are a handful but worth it. Congrats!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

wow nice bird always wanted a macaw!! ps. are u sure shes molting? [=[= good luck on your new fid
    fly free salty and aussie will always be loved
    fanta the tiel was here!!
    lucky the budgie was here!!
    click on the eggs!!
    click on the eggs!
    go on click on it
    click click click

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I am glad that the owner is rehoming her, if she does not have the time or resources to care for her bird any longer. Given the giant cage and stand, she probably really does care for the bird, but is coming up "short."

I have never kept a macaw, but I agree with the others that the bird does not look like a moulting bird. There are too many feathers missing at once. Also, if it were a molt, there'd be pin feathers coming in just behind the missing ones. You may have a problem with plucking, and so you will have to see if more attention, food, etc. fixes it. If not, you will have to try bitter apple or one of the other tactics people use to discourage the behavior -- I won't offer recommendations, because I have been lucky enough not to have this problem. Therefore I have not tried any of the remedies for it.

Even with the missing feathers, s/he is beautiful! Go meet her, and see what comes!
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Yes, I will agree with everyone else that is NOT moulting. She is a plucker. I appreciate that you want to take in this bird, but it is best if you know what you are getting into to before you commit. Her feather loss is just that...a loss (no bird looses that many feathers when moulting). Plus, it has a specific pattern and happens to be the feathers she can reach.

I would spend a bit of time researching plucking in birds before bringing this baby home. Although I know you mean well and can probably offer her a better home with more stimuli than she is currently in, I just want you to be prepared to deal with this. She may or may not recover, depending on how long it has been going on.

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

She looks adorable!!!!!

But I have to agree, definitely not a moult! However you might be in luck. The plucking may have been initiated by boredom, lack of attention etc... so it very well may correct itself living with you!

Prepare to have a permanent 3 year old on your hands

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

congratulations!!
    I am happy for you and for your new friend!
    I deem everyone have explained you very well! it's not moulting it.
    when Brittany has written: "If she was just molting, wouldn't some head/neck feathers be missing also? " with this question she has found the demostration that it's not moulting.
    if the question is intelligent then it is useless the answer because the true is already inside at the question.
    So I want to wish you the best satisfations and I believe you will be able to give her love and happiness.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Congrats on the beautiful bird. From what you've said I'm sure that Coco will have a very happy life with you and that whatever her feather problem is, you will find a way to solve it.

Name
    Leanna
    Thanks

k, i will be shure to watch her for plucking!!! i plan to take her to her established vet to get her toenails trimed and wings clipped i will ask him about her chest wile im there. the owners were adement that she has never plucked but were thinking that the lack of pin feathers was due to the stress there new dog was causing. my thought to the lack of regrowth it the fact that she is not on a normal bird food, she is fed what ever the owners eat and has a treat mix in her dish at all times. she also is still receiving formula feedings every morning.

my plan is to ween her on to my normal parrot feed, zupreem fruit blend pellets, mixed with a small amount of seed, cheerios and veggie biscuits. and in a seprit dish i give a blend of veggies.

they say shes never eaten a bird diet, just human food, treats and formula.....

Name
    Leanna
    Thanks

hears some more shots of my baby girl, i get to go see her again tomaro and im gonna bring her some zupreem.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

She is very pretty.

The owners maybe right, looking at the last pictures, it appears she's a shredder/barber and not plucking them. Rather she's shredding and barbing the feathers on her chest and wings.

Diet, it seems, is playing a big part in her feather condition. Macaws require a lot of fat and oils in their diet. Mixed in shell nuts are a great source of fat. Avoid peanuts as much as possible, when I say mixed nuts I mean Brazil, Macadamias, Almonds, etc. After Christmas is the best time to get them, as most stores will clearance them off and you can freeze them in shell if needed. We buy 25 pounds cases from places like www.nutsonline.com.

The diet we use for our macaws is only about 20-30% pellets. 60% fresh fruits/veggies/pasta/rice meals and the other 20-30% is seed/nuts/nutraberries.

Macaws are heavy chewers of wood as well. It's nothing for one of our kids to destroy a 40-50.00 toy in a matter of days, sometimes in less then a day.

They LOVE showers, I've had my hand cramp up from spraying them with a bottle of water and they will still want me to keep doing it. For some reason they are the ONLY ones that take baths when the vacuum is running as well.

We have 2 B&G's, 1 Greenwing, 1 Catalina and a Severe. I wouldn't trade them for anything, but they are a lot of work, time, money, space and energy!!

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

No, I'm almost positive she is plucking. The only feathers that are missing are on her chest, legs, and wings, the most common places parrots pluck.
    The rest of her feathers look great though. I'm sure with lots of love and attention (and a good vet), she should be fine and hopefully will stop plucking.

Those are adorable pictures by the way, she looks like an absolute sweetheart.

And she is still eating formula? How old is she?

Edit:: Tweetebirds could be right about the shredding though. Since she isn't completely bald.
    A vet visit should clear some of this up and you will be able to find out what is really going on with her.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Leanna
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Brittany View Post
    And she is still eating formula? How old is she?
    she is six years old!!

Name
    Leanna
    Thanks

THANKS for the nutsonline link i will defiantly be getting the 25lb box of mix nuts!! i think thow im going to ween her on to things one at a time, ill start with pellets, introducing the nuts and fruit as a treat. then ill start adding them to her dish once iv got her seeing how yummy they are. this bird with be a project but it will be worth it. Ive taken in some pritty messed up animals but it almost always seems to be sooooo worth it in the end.

Remove Ads