Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Wolfie and eggs

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Smile Wolfie and eggs

Hey , wolfie is a 18 month old female cockatiel and i think she tried laying her first egg earlier, but nothing came out except white runny liquid and now she has stopped. Is this normal? How many eggs should they lay and what age should they start? we have a male in the cage as well but he is not tame, they are left together in the day, so could have mated which i think is unlikely, what should we do with the egg, if she has one?
    thanks for any posts

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Wolfie and eggs

Keep an eye on her because she might be egg bound (have an egg stuck inside) which means you will probably have to take her to a vet, preferably avian. Wolfie is at the young end of cockatiel breeding ages. As for the unlikelihood of two tiels mating, don't underestimate them, it only takes two and they don't make a scene about doing it.

The average clutch is 5 eggs but you could have more or less. What you do with them depends on if you want chicks or not. On the "or not" side, you could either switch the real eggs for fake tiel eggs which can be bought or you could boil the eggs as some members of TF have suggested. Removing them completely could cause her to replace them with more eggs. I'd suggest checking out some of the articles here in bird information under bird breeding, babies & mutations.

Hopefully some of these sites will help you with some of your questions.

http://www.cockatielsociety.org.au/articles/eggs.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2177065_cand...atiel-egg.html
    http://www.cockatiels.org/breeders/candeling-eggs.htm
    http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggtoparrot.html
    http://www.cockatielfoundation.com/breeding-center.html.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go for Wolfie.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    mitch
    Thanks

this forum is also a gr8 site look under"cockatiel breeding,babies and mutations"read what type questions you need to know about...i've read 54 pages in 3 wks.lots of great posts. if your really get concerned for wolfie and notice changes, trust your gut feeling and take her to an avian vet right away.a owner sometimes... knows when their pets are not acting right...how is she acting now?any changes?hope all is well
    Last edited by mitch2006; 01-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks this really helped, but how long until she lays and egg, she clucked and looked like she was going to have one earlier but she didnt, how long should i leave it untill i start to worry ? thanks again

Brand New Egg
    Name
    mitch
    Thanks

do you have a avion vet in your area maybe you could try calling them and telling them the symptoms wolfie is having and they could tell you what would be best for her...this could be where you could start.i'm sure they can answer you faster in a possible emergency(egg binding maybe)?give it a try.keep us informed please

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Wolfie may have laid a soft-shelled egg... did you see any rubbery material in what she passed? That would mean that she does not have enough calcium in her system to form a properly-shelled egg. A lack of calcium will also cause her to be unable to pass an egg, as calcium has a lot to do with providing the amount of muscle power required to pass an egg. Being egg-bound is a major emergency. If you find that she is straining to lay, and can't pass anything, or becomes listless and fluffed up, she needs to see a vet immediately. Do you have cuttlebone in the cage, and has she been shredding it a lot? They kind of know what they need, but cuttlebone alone isn't enough. My vet gave calcium shots at the time of crisis, then recommended I add liquid calcium supplement to her drinking water. Treatments may be different nowadays, as this was several years ago.

A laying cockatiel hen will usually lay an egg every OTHER day, until she has 4 to 5 eggs, on average. Do take her to an avian vet. I've had more that a few hens with egg-laying problems. My male never mated with them, but vets have told me that just having a male present will sometimes stimulate a hen to lay eggs.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    mitch
    Thanks

my bird never clucked when she laid her 5 eggs all she did was little small chirping noises pushed her egg out...and male stared closely as she laid her egg from a perch above her as she was on cage floor first time then next 4 in her nestbox.does she look like shes in distress?breathing heavily?look up egg binding descriptions and does that match her symptoms...you might even find videos of a bird with egg binding to see what it looks like...you can try all of the above it might help also if a any point wolfies gets worse take her to a vet fast..good luck

Remove Ads