Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

 

 
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    LaurennAbi
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Can different types of conure breed?

    As some of you will know, I have a Sun Conure and a GCC that we've been introducing for the past month or so. We decided to bite the bullet the other day and put them in a new, large parrot cage together. They're getting along great and even snuggle up to go to sleep! But one thing crossed our mind earlier - could they breed if we have a male and female? Neither are DNA'd but by sight we think our GCC is male and the Sun is female.

    - Misty
    xxx

  2. #2
    Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    You're taking a really big risk by putting them in the same cage this soon together a month is NOTHING to a bird. What size is the cage?

    And yes, they have been known to breed, even though usually the eggs are infertile. But it has happened.

    Why would you want to house them together is my question. You'll just lose the bond you have with them...
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

  3. #3
    Maturing... ♥Brittany's Avatar
    Name
    Brittany
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    Oiy... A Sun and a GCC in the same cage is not a good idea. Especially since they've only known each other for a month. That's a huge risk.

    GCC's are very bossy and nippy but very tiny and a Sun can easily cause a lot of harm to one. And I'm sure even a GCC could do some damage to a Sun as well. I had 3 Suns in a cage together and they bickered every once in a while but they were all the same size and they knew each other for mannny months before they were housed together.

    Overall, it is your choice, but I would advice against it because there is so much that could go wrong and it could end very badly. There was a thread on here not too long ago about a Sun killing an IRN I think it was (I could be wrong though). They were housed in the same cage and one little argument is all it takes.


    But to answer your question. Yes, they could potentially breed but since they are different species(?) the eggs would most likely be infertile like Russell said.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

    Previously Tikigurl

  4. #4
    Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    Oh, and even if the egg is infertile, it can make the female become completely wild after laying eggs and seeing the male break them. Happened to my ex g/f's parakeets. The female was the most tame thing ever, then after she laid eggs, he broke them since they were infertile, and she would not let either my ex or myself handle her at all.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

  5. #5
    Breeding SandraK's Avatar
    Name
    Sandra
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 63 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    Apart from all of the above, the thought of a gcc-sun cross makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Can you imagine? You might get lucky and end up with the good points from both types or you could end up with the bad points from both birds (a beautiful yellow/green sun w/a black head and the temperament and stubborness of a gcc and the voice of a sunny).

    I don't house more than 1 type of bird per cage and even then my female Quaker, Daisy, is in a separate cage from the boys because she rules whatever roost she is in and the boys were afraid of her.

    My gccs have a penchant for toes and have lately taken to going after anyone who perched on me more so if it was Daisy. They seem to have calmed down a little since yesterday when I took several of the birds for spa day and surgical sexing.

    Nine toe/beak/feather/well checks, 7 wing trimmings, 4 beak trimmings, 3 nose cleanings, 2 surgical sexings, 1 foot bandage and 1 injured nare. But the fun was that since Dr. Scott's regular assistant wasn't there, I got to help with the next person's baby lovies who were being surgically sexed. Sorry, I totally went off topic.

  6. #6
    Breeding SandraK's Avatar
    Name
    Sandra
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 63 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ♥Brittany View Post
    Oiy... A Sun and a GCC in the same cage is not a good idea. Especially since they've only known each other for a month. That's a huge risk.

    Overall, it is your choice, but I would advice against it because there is so much that could go wrong and it could end very badly. There was a thread on here not too long ago about a Sun killing an IRN I think it was (I could be wrong though). They were housed in the same cage and one little argument is all it takes.
    You're right Brittany, it was a Sun and a ring neck and the story was very sad. I know from my gccs, even when they are together hanging out in/or on their own cage there'll suddenly be a squabble and I'll see one put a foot up on top of the other ones face until i I get over there and interfere.

  7. #7
    Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,518
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 311 Times in 307 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    When housing species together it is never a good idea to rush it and then always know that the birds are compatible. If so many of our conure owners, who know both species, are concerned I would take their concerns seriously. It can go well for a while and then, like the story of the ring neck they mention, go very badly one day if the birds get into a spat.


    Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post
    Apart from all of the above, the thought of a gcc-sun cross makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Can you imagine? You might get lucky and end up with the good points from both types or you could end up with the bad points from both birds (a beautiful yellow/green sun w/a black head and the temperament and stubborness of a gcc and the voice of a sunny).

    I don't house more than 1 type of bird per cage and even then my female Quaker, Daisy, is in a separate cage from the boys because she rules whatever roost she is in and the boys were afraid of her.

    My gccs have a penchant for toes and have lately taken to going after anyone who perched on me more so if it was Daisy. They seem to have calmed down a little since yesterday when I took several of the birds for spa day and surgical sexing.

    Nine toe/beak/feather/well checks, 7 wing trimmings, 4 beak trimmings, 3 nose cleanings, 2 surgical sexings, 1 foot bandage and 1 injured nare. But the fun was that since Dr. Scott's regular assistant wasn't there, I got to help with the next person's baby lovies who were being surgically sexed. Sorry, I totally went off topic.
    All I could think when I was reading your listings of what your birds had done was "and a partridge in a pear tree..." sorry, off topic

  8. #8
    Breeding SandraK's Avatar
    Name
    Sandra
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 63 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Can different types of conure breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    All I could think when I was reading your listings of what your birds had done was "and a partridge in a pear tree..." sorry, off topic
    To tell the truth it had crossed my mind to add that but I thought that that would've really been off topic.

Similar Threads

  1. owner and wanting to breed two different types of finches
    By Andres Rivera in forum Other Birds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
  2. Types?
    By dreinked in forum Budgie Breeding, Babies, and Mutations
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
  3. Horse types
    By Ashleigh96 in forum All Animals
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Have 2 different types together?
    By Sunday in forum Lovebirds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
  5. tiel types!
    By saqra in forum Other Cockatiel Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Message BoardNetwork Home