Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    LaurennAbi
    Thanks

Can different types of conure breed?

As some of you will know, I have a Sun Conure and a GCC that we've been introducing for the past month or so. We decided to bite the bullet the other day and put them in a new, large parrot cage together. They're getting along great and even snuggle up to go to sleep! But one thing crossed our mind earlier - could they breed if we have a male and female? Neither are DNA'd but by sight we think our GCC is male and the Sun is female.

- Misty
    xxx

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Re: Can different types of conure breed?

You're taking a really big risk by putting them in the same cage this soon together a month is NOTHING to a bird. What size is the cage?

And yes, they have been known to breed, even though usually the eggs are infertile. But it has happened.

Why would you want to house them together is my question. You'll just lose the bond you have with them...
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Oiy... A Sun and a GCC in the same cage is not a good idea. Especially since they've only known each other for a month. That's a huge risk.

GCC's are very bossy and nippy but very tiny and a Sun can easily cause a lot of harm to one. And I'm sure even a GCC could do some damage to a Sun as well. I had 3 Suns in a cage together and they bickered every once in a while but they were all the same size and they knew each other for mannny months before they were housed together.

Overall, it is your choice, but I would advice against it because there is so much that could go wrong and it could end very badly. There was a thread on here not too long ago about a Sun killing an IRN I think it was (I could be wrong though). They were housed in the same cage and one little argument is all it takes.

But to answer your question. Yes, they could potentially breed but since they are different species(?) the eggs would most likely be infertile like Russell said.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Oh, and even if the egg is infertile, it can make the female become completely wild after laying eggs and seeing the male break them. Happened to my ex g/f's parakeets. The female was the most tame thing ever, then after she laid eggs, he broke them since they were infertile, and she would not let either my ex or myself handle her at all.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Apart from all of the above, the thought of a gcc-sun cross makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Can you imagine? You might get lucky and end up with the good points from both types or you could end up with the bad points from both birds (a beautiful yellow/green sun w/a black head and the temperament and stubborness of a gcc and the voice of a sunny).

I don't house more than 1 type of bird per cage and even then my female Quaker, Daisy, is in a separate cage from the boys because she rules whatever roost she is in and the boys were afraid of her.

My gccs have a penchant for toes and have lately taken to going after anyone who perched on me more so if it was Daisy. They seem to have calmed down a little since yesterday when I took several of the birds for spa day and surgical sexing.

Nine toe/beak/feather/well checks, 7 wing trimmings, 4 beak trimmings, 3 nose cleanings, 2 surgical sexings, 1 foot bandage and 1 injured nare. But the fun was that since Dr. Scott's regular assistant wasn't there, I got to help with the next person's baby lovies who were being surgically sexed. Sorry, I totally went off topic.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Brittany View Post
    Oiy... A Sun and a GCC in the same cage is not a good idea. Especially since they've only known each other for a month. That's a huge risk.

Overall, it is your choice, but I would advice against it because there is so much that could go wrong and it could end very badly. There was a thread on here not too long ago about a Sun killing an IRN I think it was (I could be wrong though). They were housed in the same cage and one little argument is all it takes.
    You're right Brittany, it was a Sun and a ring neck and the story was very sad. I know from my gccs, even when they are together hanging out in/or on their own cage there'll suddenly be a squabble and I'll see one put a foot up on top of the other ones face until i I get over there and interfere.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

When housing species together it is never a good idea to rush it and then always know that the birds are compatible. If so many of our conure owners, who know both species, are concerned I would take their concerns seriously. It can go well for a while and then, like the story of the ring neck they mention, go very badly one day if the birds get into a spat.

Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post
    Apart from all of the above, the thought of a gcc-sun cross makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Can you imagine? You might get lucky and end up with the good points from both types or you could end up with the bad points from both birds (a beautiful yellow/green sun w/a black head and the temperament and stubborness of a gcc and the voice of a sunny).

I don't house more than 1 type of bird per cage and even then my female Quaker, Daisy, is in a separate cage from the boys because she rules whatever roost she is in and the boys were afraid of her.

My gccs have a penchant for toes and have lately taken to going after anyone who perched on me more so if it was Daisy. They seem to have calmed down a little since yesterday when I took several of the birds for spa day and surgical sexing.

Nine toe/beak/feather/well checks, 7 wing trimmings, 4 beak trimmings, 3 nose cleanings, 2 surgical sexings, 1 foot bandage and 1 injured nare. But the fun was that since Dr. Scott's regular assistant wasn't there, I got to help with the next person's baby lovies who were being surgically sexed. Sorry, I totally went off topic.
    All I could think when I was reading your listings of what your birds had done was "and a partridge in a pear tree..." sorry, off topic

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    All I could think when I was reading your listings of what your birds had done was "and a partridge in a pear tree..." sorry, off topic
    To tell the truth it had crossed my mind to add that but I thought that that would've really been off topic.