where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How trusting

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

How trusting

My tiel used to fly when you got near him with your feet and he was on the floor. My tiel used to move off chairs when you went to sit down. Now he trusts that humans won't hurt him.

Walking in the house now means a bird in front of you waddling slowly directly in your path, even if he has to run over to get in the way and leave his toys or foraging behind. You have to walk HIS speed, wherever you are going, no amount of nudging with your feet will make him move out of the way.

Getting up from your chair means likely when you get back, your warm spot will be occupied by a little fluffy featherball enjoying your seat. He will not move, you have to push him away so you can sit back down, or convince him to step up.

We have to take extra special care to now squish him now, since he trusts us to not hurt him for any reason. Annoying and cute at the same time. And I just love how he thinks MY chair is HIS whenever I move

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Re: How trusting

Awww, how cute! I knew mine trusted me when they crawled up on my knee while I was watching TV, turned their backs on me, and promptly went to sleep. That is the magic of having avian companions - that they learn to trust you. What a precious gift!

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

When they fly to you only to sit on your head or shoulder and fall asleep (not that I can always see who it is but the beak grinding is a dead giveaway) while you're trying to do dishes or start dinner.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My tiel doesn't fly to my head to fall asleep, but the last two days he has flown to my head just to go potty I keep having to wash my hair, he sings all happy after he does it too!

Name
    Bobbi
    Thanks

ZoZo's favorite landing spot is the top of the head. My husband will just leave him on his head and walk around the house. It is quite funny when he puts his fingers through his hair and a gift from Zo is there! ZoZo knows when I am leaving the house. Hair will be styled and looking good, when he will touch down on my head, take off, then land and twist before he takes off. By the time I get out of the door, I look like I starred in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". Thank goodness for brushes!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

I clip Orsino's wings because I had to chase him outside and down to the next building over's underground parking lot (after he hit a window and fell...my little klutz can't even make a jail break properly), but he's not happy unless he's on my ankle or my knee. Our "couch" is a daybed, so I sit with my legs sticking out over, and he likes to sit on my ankle and look down at the carpet below, survey his 'territory'. I feel like a giant tree branch.
    Around here, bird fluff is a condiment...