Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Vet advice needed urgently for amputated wing in cockatiel

My 2 year old make cockatiel flew into our fan and amputated his wing. We stopped the bleeding had dressed it with some pressure applied and have him warm and comfortable as possible. We can not get him to a vet untill tomorrow due to where we are living. Is there anything else i can do for him? He is alert and will drink water is still standing in the lined box we have him in.

please help me i have no idea what else i can do for him other than fluids to help him restore his blood.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Re: Vet advice needed urgently for amputated wing in cockatiel

not much you can do for him other than keep him quiet and warm. theres a good chance that he will go into shock well before you see the vet, so just keep talking to him and keep him calm. the pressure dressing is a very good idea!

good luck with the little guy..

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Quick update Speedy had eaten a little grape had a tiny amount of water and is being fairly active is sleeping a fair bit but when awake is busy attempting to take the bandage off. He is also makeing a few more noises than he was in response to us talking to him and refuses to stay in the box so he is sitting on the edge of it he seems to have very quickly worked out the balance problem he was having Please leave me any other advice you may have. I am really worried about him and would hate to do something wrong which will make it worse .

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

do you have a car? i was just sent these links:

http://www.boovalvet.com.au/index.ph...d=22&Itemid=63

http://www.karaleevillagevet.com.au/...d=17&Itemid=32

its a 24hr emergency vet in ippy. i dont know how close you are to it but the bird needs to be seen ASAP. you would know that too being a nursing student! i am really surprised that he isnt far worse off by now. i was expecting your post to be a sad one there are phone numbers at the top right of the screen, if you cant get to them then they might be able to advise you a bit better...

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

if he pulls through this just watch him after that he doesnt miss the wing and get depressed

Huge thanks to Sam for the sig...2 Cats, 2 Dogs, 30 Lovebirds, 7 Cockatiel, 5 Greencheeked Conure, 2 Rainbow Loris, and fish. My birds

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Keep him warm, this is one of the best things for a injured or sick bird. I do hope Speedy will be OK, it sounds like he is doing well considering what just happened to him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Speedy Update. He is still with us He is also climbing his cage walls eating a drinking I checked his poop this morning and it looks normal so no internal damage which is a blessing the only difference is he is quiter than normal and still sleeping a fair bit more but considering if he made a lot of noise in the wild he would get eaten iam putting it down to normal behaviour.

Thank you all for your advice and concerns I have rung the vet and been told to watch him for infection which i was going to do as he belives that the trip to the vet may cause more stress so unless he becomes ill i have been told to watch him at home for now. I will do regular updates

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Hmmm... can you imagine having your hand cut off and getting no medical attention, no antibiotics, and no PAIN medication? I cannot imagine it, and I feel very very badly for your tiel.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Iam feeling really bad for him as well but as i have spoken to a vet and they said he will be ok he is now makeing more noise as well not any where near as much as normal but he is getting there which is good moveing around a lot as well eating well and drinking.

can never find her phone Hatching Konkata's Avatar
    Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

Sometimes if the animal is doing well despite the trama, the vet really can't do much else for it if you bring it in except make you pay for the office visit and to tack on the price of the nod of his words when he says "Yup. The wing looks gone to me". If the vet was called and this was his advice, I'd probably go by it as well. But then again, I'm not much of a vet person. Don't get me wrong, I'll take an animal to the vet if there is something I can't do by myself, but if I know how to do it, I take care of it myself.

Animals heal just as well without pain medications...and sometimes even better without it, to be honest. In fact, if you give an animal pain medication it will feel good enough to get up move around like a moron and cause itself more injury. When I give pain meds I make sure its never enough to cause the animal to forget that its injured and in pain. Animals don't understand that even though they feel better, they still have to take it easy. They need the reminder of the injury so they don't forget they can't do something they're not ready for.

Orca Blue: double violet blackmasked lovebird
    Sitka: blue series blackmasked lovebird
    Caribou: seagreen peachfaced lovebird
    Lucky Firefly: creamino peach face lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Speedy Update i will do this for the next few days unless something dramatically changes and he gets worse. Speedy is still with us he is moveing around really well and seems to have worked out his balance and also seems to have worked out how to steady himself or use other body parts where he would have normally used his wing. Iam amazed at how quickly he worked this out Iam sure hes going to get headache as he has worked out the if he sticks the one wing out about half way and then uses his head to push with and sprays out his tail on one side he can upright himself if he takes a tumble which he only seems to be doing on the floor of his cage when he is down there and that is due to a towel being there in case he falls so he is safer.

The wound still hasn't been undressed as that can encourage infection there is no extra fluid loss and there is no smell at all. He appears to be in minimal pain considering the injury. He is eating and drinking well and makeing more noise. He is yet to wolf whistle at us which is upsetting as it was his main noise but he will still make soft kissy noises so its a start.

thankyou everyone for your advice and support we love our bird and can't imagine life with out him.

can never find her phone Hatching Konkata's Avatar
    Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

I would actually encourage changing the bandage to a clean one, but if thats what the vet said to do then I guess you should keep the dirty one on. Bacteria can form in soiled bandages but I can understand how hesitant the vet would be to have it changed as well. I hope your little bird continues to heal well. You should get pics!

Orca Blue: double violet blackmasked lovebird
    Sitka: blue series blackmasked lovebird
    Caribou: seagreen peachfaced lovebird
    Lucky Firefly: creamino peach face lovebird

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

dont worry about him being quiet for at least a week. after my Sere had his accident (resulted in an amputated toe) he didnt sing for a month afterwards. only be worried if he stops making noises altogether.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

How's the little guy doing? I worry about him. Any update?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hello everyone my little Speedy is doing really well he is even wolf whisteling a little which is good to hear again He is still eating and drinking normally and moveing around with ease and will now allow us to give scratches on that side of his head which suprised me as he got a cut on his head as well which were not sure how exactly. He has even started annoying one of our cats again like he used to (yes we know we have to watch that even more closely now he can't get away if he annoys them to much. He hisses they run very funny to watch but hes only allowed out of the cage if were with him so hes safe.

I will upload some pictures this weekend of him we have a couple of before and now after shots

I really appricate all of the support i have received from this group and i have really needed it under the circumstances thank you from the bottom of my heart and my children also wish to say a big thank you as well.

Speedy is my first cockatiel and i resuced him from someone who was going to just release him as he was to noisey before i have always had peachfaces and really bad results with budgies i don't know what i do to them but they always die on me but my parrots always tend to die of old age so this freaked me out i have never had a ill bird or one that got injured before.

a big hug to all who helped me out

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

I am SO glad to hear that he is doing well! Thanks for updating us, and I hope he continues to make a good recovery. Can't wait to see some photos.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to hear little Speedy just seems to get better and better, he is one strong Speedy bird!! I hope he keeps on getting better and I cant wait to see his cute face
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Good day to all Speedy is doing so well at the moment we went out earlier to come home to him sitting on top of his cage instead of in it the little bugger can now get his door open which is a first thankfully my cats know to leave him alone or he will bite them so him hissing is enough for them to stay away

I will attempt to put up pics now

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hi a mate of mine len,
    found a crow ...with its wing gone ...it flew into a over head power line ..he done the same as you ...and the crow lived another 2 years in lens house ...and was so tame....
    im sorry to say it was lens cat ...ended it for the crow ...
    i wish you well...and i hope your Cockatiel...makes a good recovery ...soungs like its well on its way already...
    regards mick......