Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hasn't stopped plucking after all...

Daisy and Clover's Momma Hatching msminnamouse's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Hasn't stopped plucking after all...

I'm between crying and yelling because it turns out that Clover is STILL plucking. I thought it had stopped but she's picked it right back up again. She's doing it constantly.

I think I'll put the collar back on her until the scab heals completely and then give her one more chance without it. Maybe it's just itchy or she's being a typical parrot and is picking at it just because it's there. Maybe when it's gone, she's finally stop.

What do you guys think?

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: Hasn't stopped plucking after all...

Sam's doing the same still.
    I was at the bird show last weekend and bought a load of herbs- all the ones that are calmative and anti inflammatry. That and more cream from the vet. Only problem is i have to handle Sam to put it on- and he HATES that.

what does the vet say?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

can never find her phone Hatching Konkata's Avatar
    Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

What kind of herbs do you get? A friend of mine is having trouble with her 'tiel who has been plucking for 2 months now (she just contacted me for help). I told her all the advice I could and even referred her to this forum, but I don't think she's joined yet. I'd be helpful to know as well just in case one of mine ever picks up the habit.

And what sort of collar are you talking about? Do you have pictures?

Orca Blue: double violet blackmasked lovebird
    Sitka: blue series blackmasked lovebird
    Caribou: seagreen peachfaced lovebird
    Lucky Firefly: creamino peach face lovebird

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry Michelle, I was really hoping it was allergies. I found this article and it seems to have lots of ways others helped there birds stop plucking, maybe one of them could help out Clover. http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feat...herpicking.htm

I would try the GSE / distilled water spray bath that one person used on this article because GSE does have a very bitter taste and just maybe it would be bitter enough to stop Clover from plucking. The one and only time boomer plucked all it took, thank goodness, was a medicated bath of some kind from his vet to stop him from plucking. He smelled like something strange which might have been just enough stinky to force him to stop touching his feathers. Lots of birds came into his vets office to get these baths, wished I knew what they were but maybe your vet might have a idea. It may be easier on Clover to have bitter feathers that smell like Grapefruits then to have that "Bad" collar back on, I know how much she hated it the first time.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Is it just the scab she's picking or feathers too? I would think that if it is particularly the scab and in that area, then once it is healed up completely she should be good. I had a cockatiel that picked at a scab and the area and I had to put her in a collar until it healed, but then she was fine. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeyRoo View Post
    Is it just the scab she's picking or feathers too? I would think that if it is particularly the scab and in that area, then once it is healed up completely she should be good. I had a cockatiel that picked at a scab and the area and I had to put her in a collar until it healed, but then she was fine. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
    I deem that every your judgment is unnecessary because it's necessary to understand what the Clover's vet has said.

Instead the Deanna's idea seems to be good because the bitter taste can help.
    I will do as Deanna has said but i would add also the ivomec in the area that you can see in this pics:

http://www.hobbyuccelli.it/immagini-...nga-ivomec.jpg

In every case I would inform the vet of this idea for understanding his opinion.

X Michelle: could you post some Clover's pics?

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

How's ivomectin going to help a plucking bird? If anything I would imagine it would just irritate it even more.

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

because the ivomec is against the scab.
    are you sure that the scab is not the root cause of Clover's plucking? in every case the scab must be cured thus what is the reason that prohibits the use of ivomec for curing the scab?
    Last edited by marc1972; 03-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

I think you are confused with the word scab. It's not a parasite/tick/mite or anything. A scab is the hard layer thats created during the healing process of a wound and the rebuilding of the skin.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

It's her scab and I think feathers too. I know, plucking feathers doesn't look good if she's still doing it when she's on the rice diet this long. I'm pretty sure she's plucking but I'm not positive. The only way to know is collaring her.

It was pretty horrible because when she sees me, she starts crying and runs over and pulls on my sleeve. I really want to take it off her! But she'll just keep re-opening the wound and chancing infection. Especially since I can't keep their cages as clean as I'd like because of my sleeping problems. But if she doesn't know that I'm watching, she chews on string and I can hear her throwing around her toys. So that's a good sign.

The bad news is that she chewed the collar enough that she was able to slip it off so now I have to either go to a vet tomorrow to get another or order one. Or make one. I don't know which kind to stick with right now. I think I prefer the e-collar so her neck isn't stretched out for tube collars and the like. It can't be good for their neck to be stretched out all the time in a tube collar.

One horrible bit of news is that whenever Daisy sees Clover in the collar, she runs over to attack her. I know it's instinct but I was hoping Daisy would be able to overcome it. It's so incredibly mean. Clover is feeling bad enough and can't even protect herself and Daisy is like trying to kill her. I've never been so angry at Daisy and I'm trying to keep instincts in mind but it's disgusting and cruel. Maybe I should get two collars and strap one on Daisy and see how she likes it. I may actually put her in the flight suit when she's out with Clover so she'll have her own problem and will leave Clover alone. Or maybe that's just anger talking...

I think a lot is getting lost in translation with Marc.

I forgot to mention what the vet says. Not a lot. She and I are kind of just taking it a step at a time. Right now I'm going to keep her collared until things heal and see if she breaks the skin and continues to pluck. Then I'll follow up with yet more medical care even though it's hard to think of really anything else to try. We've tried pretty much everything out there. I have all kinds of bitter sprays and ointments and they don't make any difference. She doesn't care.
    Last edited by msminnamouse; 03-09-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Banned Hatching
    Name
    Marco
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mask View Post
    I think you are confused with the word scab. It's not a parasite/tick/mite or anything. A scab is the hard layer thats created during the healing process of a wound and the rebuilding of the skin.
    you are right i have confused scab with scabies
    your language is very nice but very difficult, i hope you all have patience with me..ahahahahaha

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Does she pick at the scab all the time? I was wondering if maybe you could have the collar on when you aren't around and then have it off when you are around. My thinking is that even if she got to the area while you were there, it would not be as disastrous as it might be if you were not there to catch her. That would perhaps give both her and you a break as well as keep Daisy from attacking her as frequently. Again, just thinking...

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

No, she picks at it constantly, even when I'm there and tell her to leave it. I slept all day so I wasn't able to get her a replacement collar yet. I hope she didn't pick off the scab again..

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marc1972 View Post
    you are right i have confused scab with scabies
    your language is very nice but very difficult, i hope you all have patience with me..ahahahahaha
    Copy that, I'm still struggling with the dutch language!

Thanks

I may actually put her in the flight suit when she's out with Clover
    This is just random thinking, but if the object of the collar is to physically prevent the bird from getting to the area, would putting the flight suit on Clover insead of collaring serve the purpose? It would be like putting a glove over the area.
    We got lots of Ham here

Remove Ads