Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

 

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Good home or scary home?

  1. #1
    sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Good home or scary home?

    I uploaded a picture of Sunshine's home and all the little things that are in it to play with at the moment.. I was wondering if maybe it was too crowded or there weren't enough toys? There's a millet spray holder, three bowls, and a little treat thing on the bottom that she kind of pulled off from the bars and let sit on the bottom. There's also a cuttle bone but she does NOT give the cuttle bone any attention no nibble marks or anything.

    So many toys!!! But absolutely no interest in them I've tried playing with them to introduce them to her, show her how they work, but still nothing. It makes me worried. The only thing she likes to do is sit on my finger and play with me (clothes that are on me, my piercings, etc).



    I also got a picture of a bowl of fresh veggies I usually prepare for her daily. She ignores it completely are the things in there maybe too big for her? I have sweet peppers, garbanzo beans, broccoli, tomatoes, baby corn, and sugar snap peas all cut up. She'll pick at them for a second then leave it alone for the rest of the day. I tried the typical cut up carrot/corn/green bean combo but there wasn't a good reaction to that either. Even if I've eaten them already!!! Sigh.


  2. #2
    Breeding SandraK's Avatar
    Name
    Sandra
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,496
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 63 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Hi Gina you know I don't have any budgies so whatever I say could be completely wrong, then again, birds don't always behave the way the books say they're supposed to. My guys like broccoli but raw, and I break off small stalks or leaves from the main stem and leave them hanging through the bars, stem down. They're not too keen on bell peppers but they will attack the centers of bell peppers (the part with all the seeds). Garden Fresh has a sale section w/fruit veggies that aren't quite 1st quality anymore; I'll buy a pack use the bell pepper meat (if possible) and give the centers to the birds. They also seem to like corn and sweet peas (steamables or corn on the cob) and a Goya chicken flavored rice with vermicelli. The rice is really good (if you eat rice) and there's usually a battle in my house between the birds' portion and my husband.

    Then again, we had some left over mixed veggies from last night (also steamables - corn, peas, carrots, green beans) which I put out this a.m. and there wasn't anything left by this afternoon. Who knows? It also all depends on your fid and birds can be as picky as people.

  3. #3
    Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    the cage looks AWESOME! its cozy but not too small (i had that cage but i rennovated it to make it bigger and its a great cage for small birds ) toys, theyre great.

    cuttlebone... mine wont touch it if its attached to the side of the cage (lovies and tiels. didnt have toby long enough to learn much preferences with him) so i break it up into smaller pieces and put them into a dish for them--big hit with mine! or, in the case of mango until he learned that it was in the dish, i would wedge a small chunk in between the cage bars.... she could very well not like the holder.
    nice variety of perches! good for her feet! you really seem to know what to do with her. suggestion for toys... well each bird is different but try making some toys. raffia and buttons seemed to be big hits with toby (he was ill for the time we had him and even with treatment, passed away far too early for us so he didnt feel right to play much...) but my lovies like raffia, paper cups (like the mini ones at fast food restaurants that you put ketchup in), beads, bells, vine balls, and stuff like that. perhaps your budgie will like something like that. play around with different types of toys until she shows interest in one.

  4. #4
    sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post
    Hi Gina you know I don't have any budgies so whatever I say could be completely wrong, then again, birds don't always behave the way the books say they're supposed to. My guys like broccoli but raw, and I break off small stalks or leaves from the main stem and leave them hanging through the bars, stem down. They're not too keen on bell peppers but they will attack the centers of bell peppers (the part with all the seeds). Garden Fresh has a sale section w/fruit veggies that aren't quite 1st quality anymore; I'll buy a pack use the bell pepper meat (if possible) and give the centers to the birds. They also seem to like corn and sweet peas (steamables or corn on the cob) and a Goya chicken flavored rice with vermicelli. The rice is really good (if you eat rice) and there's usually a battle in my house between the birds' portion and my husband.

    Then again, we had some left over mixed veggies from last night (also steamables - corn, peas, carrots, green beans) which I put out this a.m. and there wasn't anything left by this afternoon. Who knows? It also all depends on your fid and birds can be as picky as people.
    Looks like I'm stuck home again today so I'll get a lot of opportunities to find out what works. She likes oatmeal... when I'm eating it, anyway. When it comes to giving her some on her own suddenly nope! Silly bird. Guess we'll see :P

  5. #5
    sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dally View Post
    the cage looks AWESOME! its cozy but not too small (i had that cage but i rennovated it to make it bigger and its a great cage for small birds ) toys, theyre great.

    cuttlebone... mine wont touch it if its attached to the side of the cage (lovies and tiels. didnt have toby long enough to learn much preferences with him) so i break it up into smaller pieces and put them into a dish for them--big hit with mine! or, in the case of mango until he learned that it was in the dish, i would wedge a small chunk in between the cage bars.... she could very well not like the holder.
    nice variety of perches! good for her feet! you really seem to know what to do with her. suggestion for toys... well each bird is different but try making some toys. raffia and buttons seemed to be big hits with toby (he was ill for the time we had him and even with treatment, passed away far too early for us so he didnt feel right to play much...) but my lovies like raffia, paper cups (like the mini ones at fast food restaurants that you put ketchup in), beads, bells, vine balls, and stuff like that. perhaps your budgie will like something like that. play around with different types of toys until she shows interest in one.
    The thing with a cuttle bone is a great idea. I'll have to break the bigger one up into smaller pieces and see if she'll go for it in her seed dish. That one gets a lot more visits than the pellet dish...

    She seems to really like my phone, my keyboard, the remote controller, anything with buttons on it! Wondering if I should just get an old remote stick it in there and say bon voyage to it as she whittles it away. Are remotes harmful? With the batteries taken out, of course?

  6. #6
    Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,657
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 315 Times in 311 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    I found when I started introducing my bird to veggies that it was better to offer one at a time, than a bowl or plate full. Try offering say broccoli one day, peas the next, etc until you find one that is liked.

    And yeah my tiel always likes my food better than his

    Cage set up looks fine, though you could try taking a few toys out, maybe she just feels overwhelmed with all the new stuff?

  7. #7
    sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    I found when I started introducing my bird to veggies that it was better to offer one at a time, than a bowl or plate full. Try offering say broccoli one day, peas the next, etc until you find one that is liked.

    And yeah my tiel always likes my food better than his

    Cage set up looks fine, though you could try taking a few toys out, maybe she just feels overwhelmed with all the new stuff?
    That one at a time idea sounds pretty good. I already have the veggies all mixed up in a bowl in the fridge for the week so I guess I'm going to do some picking today! She's seen me eat them before but even then after a nibble it's like no, not good enough.

    Maybe I could try with a few less toys... she definitely has a LOT in there right now. Doesn't really play with any of them. Expressed a moment of interest in one but quickly decided it wasn't interesting then went on her way. If only I could make a copy of my phone and stick it in there. She loves that!

  8. #8
    Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,657
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 315 Times in 311 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Don't get discouraged - each new food unless it is really yummy (sweet potato, corn) takes about a month of constant offering to get my brat of a bird to eat it. And with toys, he didn't play with any until hm... 2? months in my house. Then he only likes shredders, or shredders turned into foragers so they can be picky.

  9. #9
    sunshine on my shoulders Egg's Cracking... ladyhedge's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good home or scary home?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Don't get discouraged - each new food unless it is really yummy (sweet potato, corn) takes about a month of constant offering to get my brat of a bird to eat it. And with toys, he didn't play with any until hm... 2? months in my house. Then he only likes shredders, or shredders turned into foragers so they can be picky.
    WOW! Alright I'll keep it up and be persistent. I saw some interest being taken into rope threads which made me VERY happy today! And the plastic rings with the bell on the end of it. Yay!!

Remove Ads

Similar Threads

  1. Free to a good home...
    By FreudianSlip in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 11:07 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM
  3. looking for a good home
    By kathy5 in forum All Animals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 01:47 PM
  4. Needs a good home
    By Miss Anna in forum Other Cockatiel Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Message BoardNetwork Home