where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Why can't I be lucky, just once!

Why oh why?

If I had a small win on the lottery or something,
    There are so many birds in my area at the moment that need rescuing. If I had a little money I would start up my own rescue centre.
    I received a call last night about 3 cockatiels that need new homes (again)
    I would love to take them, but 3 more cockatiels would be too much with the flock I already have. I also do not think that Sassy would except them into our home anyway.
    Once again a call has been made to my bird rescue friend Ian, he will be collecting them sometime this week.
    It really is a crying shame, so many birds needing help

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Why can't I be lucky, just once!

I think it is very sad too Debby that people get birds and then just seem to dump them anywhere when they get tired of them. Poor birds just want someplace to call home and somewhere safe and happy to live. If I could win big money I too would make sure that not only birds were given a good home I would do the same for dogs too because both birds and dogs will forever be close to my heart.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

We save the ones we can and help the people who can do more saving as much as possible. And I know it hurts to not be able to save them all oneself. It's what is in your heart when you help to save them that accounts for so much even if it feels like you've done so little.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Skip

Do you belong to a bird club? Some clubs have a bird adoption program within the club. People get on a “wish list.” The owners sign a release form - this protects the club. Many club members are willing to foster the birds until a new home can be found. In our area there is an adoption fee of 1/3 of the value of the bird to cover feed bills or vet bills if needed.

If your club does not already have this in place maybe it’s time to suggest such a program. The main deal is to keep the money all under the same “roof.” Once it gets into personal accounts you start treading into muddy waters. This will require someone with good record keeping skills - for keeping track of the birds AND money in/out of the account.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I understand the feeling - my goal is to make enough money to open up a rescue. So sad to see all the homeless animals. It was the year of the rabbit this year and there have been soooo many homeless bunnies around here because people fad buy rabbits because it's the "cool pet" until they get bored of them.

We all do what we can and hope there are others who can help the ones we can't. Never feel guilty for not being able to help them all, no one has that much money, time or space.

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Oh my heart has been broken today, I went to visit these 3 birds today. They are all in a terrible state. I beleive that they are all suffering with illness.
    I did a lot of investigating today and found out that the birds belong to a little old man. His birds were his life, they lived in an outside avairy. The old man has since passed away and nobody knew. I don't know how long the birds were outside in the cage, alone, frightened and hungry for.
    All 3 birds are filthy dirty, 2 of them have feathers missing (plucking by the looks of it), and their cere's are solid with dirt etc, and the third bird has clear water type substance running from it's cere.
    My friend (ian) is a registered bird rescue centre, he is coming hopefully tomorrow to collect the birds. I know they will be fine with him. He is totally sincere to all of his resues.
    Lets hope that the birds all pull through this and that this story will end with a happy ending.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

If you weren't "across the pond" I'd take them. I'll light a candle for them, in any case.

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

All three birds got collected today. Ian was extremely upset at the condition of the birds. He took them all straight to the vet before going home.
    They are all riddled with parasites which is being treated now, blood and poop tests have been done and sent to the lab, so we should know the results within 3 - 5 days time.
    The good news however, all 3 birds have settled into their new home reasonably well considering being moved again. Ian said that they have all eaten a plate of mixed veggies which apparently they really enjoyed.
    He tried to introduce a bowl of water to bathe in, but they all got a little nervous about it.
    Ian will keep me updated on the birds progress so I will update on here too.
    Im just glad that I received the call so that they are able to have a fresh start in a decent home.
    Although I couldn't home these birds myself, I think iv'e helped ensure a good life for them now.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

You know you've helped ensure a good life for them. They're now being fed and cared for by someone who'll love them as much as you would have if you'd been able to take them.