Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Fresh herbs

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Fresh herbs

So I was at the local WalMart to get some stuff to cook dinner and in the produce section they had flower pots with things such as basil, thyme and rosemary. I have never given any of my birds fresh herbs, mainly because I was not sure how they would like them and which were safe and my total lack of a green thumb. However if the birds will benefit from them I can try growing a pot or two of something and clipping and rinsing leaves daily for them. Anyone do this? Let me know.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Re: Fresh herbs

I do. I actually have a herb garden just for the birds. I clip the herbs fresh, rinse them well and offer them along with their veggies. Mine love everything I have offered them so far. They get basil, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, sage, oregano and marjoram. When the herbs are close to finishing for the summer, I dry them, put them in the freeze and mix them in with rice, beans, veggies, pasta, etc. Herbs are great for birds as it aids in digestion, gives them flavor without any additives. The dried herbs also go into their seed/pellets and I've actually noticed them picking out the herbs to eat first.

Herbs aren't hard to grow. Give them plenty of sunlight and water every two days. I plant mine in large pots and place the pots outside where they get sunlight half the day, then some cool shade to keep them from wilting.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I don't know if it would be considered a herb but I get my birds wheat grass which a local supermarket sells for pets in the veggie section. It comes in a 4" pot and can last as long as 2 weeks if I water it. The birds seem to enjoy sitting in it as well as nibbling on it.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

I think cilantro and parsley and herbs and my birds get those all the time and love it.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Thanks

I have window sill herbs like parsley and oregano as well as an entire patio garden of herbs like basil, rosemary, mint, etc. My tiel loves to just trample everything and go nuts in it. I'm fine with that because we have way more than we could possibly use, and he has a lot of fun and gets some fresh greens for a change.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Most herbs are fine for tiels and they love eating fresh plants - just be careful with parsley as it has high OXALATE content and too much of it too often can lead to blocked calcium absorption (just like spinach).

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/houseplants.html

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

i read on another forum that sage is toxic. i had already however given them sage previously but nothing happened .they didnt like it much.still be cautious though.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I just want to throw in my 0.02 here... I can't imagine Sage actually being toxic to birds. It's just a member of the mint family, like all mints, oregano, nettles, coleus, basil and asian basil, marjoram and more. I'm pretty much positive it is fine, and others here have mentioned giving it to their birds. I just wouldn't give in high amounts.

I have given a lavander sprig, a needle of rosemary, cilantro, basil, very small amounts of thyme. I would hesitate to give large amounts of evergreen type herbs (rosemary, taragon, thyme, lavender) just because the potency they have. But in small amounts they are a great way to add variety and flavor to your birds' lives.

My bunny loves herbs too...