Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Talking mika and raptor's april 2011 photo thread! ^_^ [bonus: foster pics]

Mika = FLOOFY.

Wet bird!! I his spikes!!

Taking a nap with daddy, in his pant leg. Awwwww!!

Rappy on his updated play gym! We added connector branches to all the main branches - looks so much better now!! We also added a place for a water cup (will maybe add a food cup later).

Mika hanging out, wondering when the foster birds are going away.

Our current fosters -

This 24/7 caged lovebird came to us with a messed up wing and the owners couldn't afford to take her to the vet. After getting x-rays, the vet said she had an old bone fracture that healed improperly and the lump all the way around her joint is scar tissue. She can't fly, nor can she jump, so she has to climb anywhere she wants to go. We don't want her potentially injuring herself on our big, tall living room play gym so I made a little area for her to "play" (though she doesn't play with toys at all) on top of her foster cage. We just leave the door open, but she rarely comes out.

This Turquoise GCC was in our fostering program a long time ago, and now he/she (we just say he) is back. Human mommy got pregnant and is giving up her entire flock (though they're thinking of keeping ONE). When we first received this bird a long time ago, we fell in with him (yes, the only GCC my bf has ever liked!). He had a temperament unlike ANY other GCC I've ever known - not nippy whatsoever, not spastic, not hyperactive - but we had Saru at the time so we couldn't even think about keeping him. Anyway, he is back with us for now and still as sweet as he was before...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: mika and raptor's april 2011 photo thread! ^_^ [bonus: foster pics]

Wonderful to see the babies. Mika is always a treat

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Mika is so handsome, I just love him. Poor little foster lovie but even with the injury she still has the happy fluffy lovebird way about her.

And of course Rappy and the foster GCC are cute too but you know me, I just love my Lovebirds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Thanks!

Yup, lovebirds will always be my #1 passion!! I think they're the best birdies in the world!! Of course, I think Mika has spoiled me for any future lovebirds because his temperament is PERFECT.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

I am dead serious on the gcc.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I know... I'm just not comfortable with shipping birds. Plus, no matter who the person is (even if we know them or they've adopted from us before) we require them to go through the interview process, which includes coming over to meet the bird, to uphold our reputation... you wanna fly here to meet the bird? Trip to Hawaii!!

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Re: mika and raptor's april 2011 photo thread! ^_^ [bonus: NEW foster pics]

Well, I got my lovebird harness in... and Mika hates it. He tried to chew it off and he can't stand properly wearing it (notice the wide stance). It was SO hilarious!! Here he is trying to chew it off:

Some great news: we were actually able to reunite the Turquoise GCC with it's owner. They really didn't want to give him up but felt like they had to at the time. Like I had said before, they were thinking of keeping ONE and, though they wanted to keep him, they chose to give him up because they felt their LOUD Sun conure would be difficult to rehome. We assured them that they're not hard to rehome and we make sure, if they don't own, that the adopter gets consent from the landlord/resident manager first. The couple was VERY happy to have their GCC back - especially the husband, who is away in the Sand Box, because they were "bonded"!!

Now, we've got their two remaining birds as fosters (along with the lovebird still)!

This cockatiel is super sweet and tame that it just melts your heart... it's cute because she bluffs a big game but is a total baby!

And this Sun is loud, but luckily doesn't squawk as often as the other two Sun fosters we had before!! This one is also very, very sweet and loves to hang out on your shoulder. Unfortunately, Raptor is - yet again - imitating Sun noises...

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Update: We've been able to place the foster lovebird with a couple that has adopted lovebirds from us before. She will have three other lovebirds to make friends with!

can never find her phone Hatching Konkata's Avatar
    Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

I'm so happy you got your harness and Mika looks so hansome in his! Caribou hates his harness too! haha he rolls around and flops and acts like he's dieing. The day after I got him back I put him in it to go visit the neighbors to show them that he was home. They had no idea who he was but went out of their way to help me so I thought they should meet him. It works great!

You should send some pics in to Leathers4feathers. Caribou is her "cover model" for the harness but I know she'd adore Mika's pics too! He's so pretty and photogenic that she'd probably ask to use him too! You should friend her on facebook. I know she loves positive feedback

P.S. I had to take like 100 pics because he was too busy being angry at the harness, and the only way I got him to stop for a second is if I blew air in his face. He was like "wtf was that for!" long enough for me to snap a pic!

Orca Blue: double violet blackmasked lovebird
    Sitka: blue series blackmasked lovebird
    Caribou: seagreen peachfaced lovebird
    Lucky Firefly: creamino peach face lovebird

Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

And that little foster lovies is ADORABLE with her little gimp wing. Its sad about the scar tissue but for some reason it just makes her look even cuter.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Mika in the harness is so pathetic, he isn't pleased at all and the way he is standing.. or sitting sure makes him like a goof ball! Now Caribou almost looks cute in his.

I am happy your were able reunite the GCC with its owners and very happy the little lovie with the bad wing found a good home with other lovies to be friends with. Your foster Sun is gorgeous, if I ever get a bird and its not a lovebird it will have to be a sun conure because they are so cute and seem to have that "boomer wildness" in them that I loved so much.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I'm still on the fence on how I feel about the harness. I don't care that Mika doesn't like it - I'm willing to buy him anything just to at least try. What I'm not liking is that because velcro is used (to make it more lightweight, I know), Mika's feathers get tangled in it a bit and a few of his little feathers came out when I removed the harness from him. He's just got so much down and feathers (he's seriously the floofiest lovebird I've EVER known) that it gets in between the velcro. I'll probably try again today, this time having the bf hold Mika while I velcro the harness on him - without leash.

For us, we never want a Sun because we can't handle the noise! Unfortunately, Raptor imitates the Sun's squawk perfectly. URGH!

Name
    Konnie
    Thanks

Yeah I know what you mean about the velcro and the feathers. A feather or two comes out when I undo Caribou's harness as well. She said that she's still working on perfecting them and if you have any ideas, she'd love to hear them She's worked with me and I have 2 harness now when I only paid for 1, because the first just wasn't good for a lovebird. Too heavy. If you are unsatisfied and have any ideas, she'll put it together and send you the new idea harness free of charge for you to try it out. She's a pretty cool lady.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Oh yeah, for sure! She is one of the FEW left out there that is about 100% satisfaction. I don't have any ideas - yet... I had made a prototype harness before that didn't use any velcro... it was modeled more like the Aviator. I'm not sure if I still have the prototype, but I could always at least send her a drawing of it. I cut up one of my bras to make it, 'cause I used one of the plastic bra adjusting pieces.