where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Mumble's MaMa Brand New Egg Mumble55's Avatar
    Name
    Autum
    Thanks

Question Should I Get A Second 'Tiel?

I am not sure if this is in the right section but here goes:
    I have a wonderful little 4 month old tiel named Mumble. He is sweet and playful and we have a pretty good bond- given i have only had him 2 months but he has known me since he was just 2 weeks old. I am 13 so i go to school (of course) and then i run track after school. I have practice form 3-5 monday through wednesday and meets on thursdays that can (and do) run until as late as 11pm. I feel that my baby doesn't get enough interaction time sometimes. He usually gets between 30 minutes to an hour and on fridays and weekends at least 2 hours. I hate him just sitting in his cage all by himself all the time and was wondering if I should get another tiel. I dont only want another tiel just to keep him company though. I wanted to know what you guys thought and about any of your experiences. And i am planning on building a big cage for Mumble eventually with my dad so i would have room after quarantine and introductions. PLEASE help me! I am at a major crossroad and would LOVE some kind words of wisdom. And I would like some advice about helping with my situation other than a new feathered companion.
    Thanks

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Should I Get A Second 'Tiel?

Ok - first off, we all understand RL getting in the way our pets. You are right to think that amount of time is too little for a bird. He needs more, either from you or your parents or another bird.

Now, first thing first: remember if you get a second bird you'll need a quarantine cage, a cage to keep it in until you can properly introduce them and then slowly introduce them so they won't fight over territory. This will take time and money. Do you have that available? Also, there is always a chance they won't get along - there is never a guarantee though the same species makes it more likely that they will.

Will the schedule problems continue after the warmer months are over? Will that be the case the next year as well? If you consistently won't be able to give him more human interaction time than that, then yes I would recommend another bird if you can put the time into finding a suitable friend for him. Also, I would probably go with another male if he is a known male as you don't want babies with your schedule issues.

Think it over and weigh the pros and cons, what is best for your tiel. Honestly, a bird needs at least a few hours a day out of cage / interaction time to be healthy if he is solo. If this is going to be his schedule until you are out of school, a large flight cage and a friend would be my recommendation. The only other thing I can suggest for options is either your parents spend some time with him while you are away, or there is always the option of a rehome.

Now, not sure if you've thought of it, but you can let him out just to hang out while you do homework or chores around your room. That is enough interaction to count and being out of the cage will let him stretch his wings.

Also, remember to talk over the added vet costs if you do get another bird, as sometimes diseases are passed from one to the other and both need treated if that happens.

Name
    Autum
    Thanks

Thank you for replying. When i got him I wasn't planning on doing track this year but everyone convinced me at the last minute. I knew about the quarantine cage and introduction and what not, and i have another cage but i would sell it to get a new one because its that one with the clear front from Habitat Defined but it is a HORRIBLE cage and i had a sick bird in it so yeah... Yes i have that available if not I could get a friend, parent, or sometimes grandparent to help. And if they dont get along I have alternative homes that he can go to. My schedule will change in a while and i will have more time but I still want someone there just in case, too. I already want to get another male and if i do get another bird it will be from the same place that i got my current tiel and it could possibly be one of his brothers . I know for sure that i will not rehome my current tiel and in about a month or two i will have a lot more time. I do let him out for my homework and what not (which is pretty hard since he is a shredder) and if i have to walk the dog or watch my younger siblings play outside he is there with me. I have factored in the schedule and cost of the bird and the vet and things and i am going to talk with my parents about this too. Thank you SOOOOOOO much for the help i am at a 60 (get a bird- as company for my tiel and as another bundle of joy) and 40 (not getting another tiel). I will be doing a lot of thinking and research before making my decision. Thanks again I appreciate it. I will post back on my decision soon.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Autum, I just had to comment on your maturity, compassion, and responsibility in considering how best to treat your tiel, and I also must comment on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation! I know MANY adults who can't write nearly as well as you. Keep up the good work - you have my admiration.

On the tiel, if your schedule will get better shortly, he should be okay. If you can put his cage where he can see out of a window, that will help. A parakeet in another cage might also be an idea. One tiel is quite a responsibility, two tiels is a circus. Mine were shredders too, and most of my older cookbooks have lots of bite-marks from where the tiels were being "helpful" : )

Name
    Autum
    Thanks

Thanks very much Linda. It is actually one of my pet peeves when it comes to typing and what not but sometimes I am too lazy .
    My schedule will change and that is why I asked for advice and I am very bad at making decisions on my own. His cage is on the wall next to a window at an angle so he can see but isn't in direct sunlight. I was actually thinking about the parakeet thing but, honestly, I don't really like them. Cockatiels are my thing. I am not much of a people person so I lean towards animals and am very good with them so it won't be that hard. I have had cats, dogs, one other bird, and fish. Almost all of the homework I turn in is chewed up some and Mumble has actually chewed through a pair of 14k gold ear rings that were brand new! It looked like they had been blown up; he has also managed to unlatch my necklace that I myself have trouble with! Thank you, I appreciate all the help from you and Marie. I am even more sure about this situation now- I don't really need to get another bird to keep him company...BUT I want another birdy as a 2nd lovely companion. I will wait, though, to let things calm down.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

A way to help him with the boredom of being caged all the time until things calm down would be to teach him to forage if he doesn't already know how - Mythara had an awesome foraging blog, you could search for her posts on the forums, the link was in her signature line, shows you all you need to know. Then you can leave him foraging toys once he knows how to do it, that he can figure out during the day while you are gone.

Name
    Autum
    Thanks

That's a very good idea the only problem is Mumble isnt really a forager and he is very stubborn... but it is worth a shot. Thank you.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My tiel wasn't either, until I taught him how - now he loves to forage around. His favorite is to do a gymnastics trick to flip himself up into the box I hide millet in (though that is more I store it there, not that he is supposed to get into it) It took ages though to get him to actually try not just go for the easier food in his bowl.

Name
    Autum
    Thanks

OK that's cute. I will try that. Thanks

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Well I am not a fan of one bird households. I feel that a bird misses out on a lot of neccessary interaction. So i say that your bird should not be the only one in the house. Your schedule is kinda scary, I know kids always have lots to do and ya never know what will come along in the not too distant future. Adding another bird will mean extra work and time devoted to birds but I feel that if ya can do it then your bird will benefit from it. Of course it does not need to be another tiel. Sometimes a cage with finches or canaries is a lot of entertainment.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Autum
    Thanks

Thanks Javi. My schedule changes about 3 times each school year and I feel that a little companion would be nice for Mumble for the time I can't be there or not for long enough. Thankfully track is over in 2 weeks and I won't be near as busy. I would be able to take care of them for sure and I love that my bird and myself can both benefit greatly. I looked into the canary and finch thing before resorting to another cockatiel but 10 I am stuck on cockatiels and 2) my parents don't like the thought of finches and canaries (why? I don't know). There was something else that I was going to post but I can't remember but when I do I will make sure I post it.
    Thank You for the help and advice I greatly appreciate it.