where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hahns macaws?

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Hahns macaws?

I've been doing a lot of research on Hahns macaws, and have been getting kind of a mix of information.
    I'm looking into getting a new bird, and I'd like a playful and somewhat cuddly bird that isn't too loud, I'll be living in a house with one or two room mates, so some noise would be okay but not too too much.
    Other than that, I'm not too picky!

I know birds vary a ton depending on the individual, but if any of you would like to share your experiences with them I would appreciate it

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Re: Hahns macaws?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4tYg-L4Xqs
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I don't own a hahn's, however a member of my bird club does and that bird (Mickey) is pretty much the bird equivalent to a jack-russell terrier - he's hyper, bouncy, loves getting into mischief and who knows what else

His owner said he's not loud, but he can and does get loud when his owner leaves the room (flock calls).

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Like, Mickey is go go go go go Verrrrrry exhausting

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Hahn's macaw are not for you if you don't want too much noise.

From the description of what you're looking for, a Green Cheek conure sounds right up your alley.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

I agree with Maya. Green Cheeks are very playful, can be rather cuddly, and aren't too loud. But of course that all depends on the bird. I had two Green Cheeks that were total opposites. One was very hyper, playful, nippy, and quiet. The other was calm, cuddly, and could get very loud when he wanted to.

I've only met one Hahn's Macaw and he was.... I guess you could call it crazy. He squawked constantly, plucked, and was just... odd.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Hmmm. I do really like the look, size, playfulness, and energy of the Hahns, but the noise is a significant drawback.
    I did a lot of research on green cheeks, too, and I think they might be a good bird for me.
    My main priorities for a bird are probably that it's playful, cuddly, and sociable, since my little lovebird is none of those things!

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

From what I understand any macaw = noise! But then again most birds = noise...
    I personally do not like the sounds green cheeks make, it makes my head hurt, so I would go visit some at a petstore or someone who has one before you decide.

You might want to consider another lovebird - if you get one thats male, handfed, and well socialized from a good hobby breeder, it should be more cuddly. And maybe if it gets along with Ringo you'll only need one cage.

Also, I hear the poicephalus family (ex. a Senegal) are nice birds. Not too loud (supposedly). My neighbors have one who's about 20, and although shes wild-caught, cagebound, and they don't take proper care of her (gah, I wish I could just pilfer her) she's sooo sweet. She comes right up to the bars and begs for scritches whenever I go over there and she barely knows me.

.....Abu......Rafiki...... Zuri.....

Name
    Donnie
    Thanks

I guess noise is very subjective 'cause those macaws sound pretty quiet.
    “If there are no birds in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I know that larger macaw species can be loud loud loud! When I was in Hawaii I saw a couple macaws in an enclosure in an outdoor mall (it was kind of odd) and their calls were so loud, especially when you're only a few feet away!
    Hahns macaws are supposed to be quieter than their larger relatives, and like I said, some noise is fine, I just don't want a bird that'll bother my room mates late at night/early in the morning.
    Right now I'm really leaning towards a Meyer's parrot, although I'm still considering green cheeks, Hanhs, TAG, Jardines, another lovebird, ect.... (I awhile before I move out so there's lots of time for research XD )

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I know that larger macaw species can be loud loud loud! When I was in Hawaii I saw a couple macaws in an enclosure in an outdoor mall (it was kind of odd) and their calls were so loud, especially when you're only a few feet away!
    Hahns macaws are supposed to be quieter than their larger relatives, and like I said, some noise is fine, I just don't want a bird that'll bother my room mates late at night/early in the morning.
    Right now I'm really leaning towards a Meyer's parrot, although I'm still considering green cheeks, Hanhs, TAG, Jardines, another lovebird, ect.... (I awhile before I move out so there's lots of time for research XD )

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Um. That was posted three times. Heehee. I would like to add pionus to the list of considerations. If ya want a "big" bird htat is not a screamer and has a great personality. In fact they are called the best apartment birds.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

haha sorry about that! My computer was being really laggy and I think I hit it again to try and get the page to reload or move forward... I'll delete the extras XD

I also looked at pionuses, I just think they have a little too shy of a personality for what I'm looking for, but once again, I'm still pretty open.
    I'm starting to think I sound like I'm being really picky... I do realize that there's no perfect bird, but hopefully I'll find a bird that's perfect for me!

edit: I don't know if I can delete those multiples, and if I can I guess I don't know how... i feel silly....

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

We have a Meyer's and we don't really suggest them to people. There isn't a lot of info on them online. Through our own experience and talking to a LOT of other Poicephalus owners (both in person and on-line), what we've read online about them isn't really accurate.

There are always exceptions, but in general, the Poicephalus (Meyer's, Red-Bellied, Senegal, etc) tends to be a one-person bird (even though we read online that they make great family pets), can get loud, and are aggressive. I forgot who I spoke to, but someone I know ended up rehoming their Meyer's because it was just too aggressive toward the other birds - and that person's Avian vet said the Poi's are aggressive in general as well.

Our Raptor is the most aggressive bird I've ever known. In his previous home, he was attacking and hurting a Cockatoo, Grey, and Pionus. He wants to KILL any bird he sets his sights on, regardless of size. He will dive-bomb off the play gym to try and get to the foster cage and attack. He is also totally bonded to my bf, even though I spend double the time with him. Rather than take a treat from me, he wants to bite me. He doesn't care for anyone but the bf whatsoever. Luckily for us, we have a small flock (and plan to keep it that way) so we're able to manage. We have Mika and Raptor out at the same time, but in different rooms (since we have a play gym in every room). The times I bring Raptor and his play gym out into the living room where Mika is, I make sure I'm not doing anything so I can keep my eye on Raptor. We don't do that too often though...

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Wow, that seems like totally the opposite of what I've read online, but it's really helpful. I really don't want another one-person, nippy and aggressive bird, especially with room mates.
    I guess I'm just confused as to why they have such a sweet reputation if they tend to be that aggressive. I'm not doubting you at all or anything, but do you think you might know why the information is so opposite?

(I'm sorry if that sounded sarcastic, I guess it did to me, but I really don't mean it that way at all. I'm surprised and I'd really like to know your opinion about why they're so different from most descriptions)

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Believe me, we were surprised as well!! We did as much online reading as we could - and what we GOT was totally opposite... and it's the same story we've heard from everyone else we've talked to.

I can't answer the question as to why they are described as one way online and are another way in real life... but for us, EVERY Poicephalus owner we've spoken to here in Hawaii has had the same issues as us (though their birds aren't "blood-thirsty" like Raptor). A lot of people online share the same sentiment. I know we have one member here with FIVE Poi's and one lovebird... I don't know her sentiments on the species, but if she's got five she's gotta love them.

I would imagine not ALL Poi's out there are aggressive but all I know is it can't be coincidental that the description we hear from people are the same over and over again. I had thought about a Red-Bellied before, but after having Raptor and hearing the other stories I don't think we'll ever get another Poi.

Oh! I had forgotten... we even had a Senegal foster - AGGRESSIVE. She would step up for us and everything, but she had to be kept away from the other fosters and Mika. And of course Raptor has to just stay away from everyone. Ha.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Well thanks a lot for the info, it means a lot coming from someone who seems to have a lot of experience.
    It's a good thing I have so long to decide, because I'm just so torn up about which bird would be the best for me! I'd love a mini macaw, but the noise is a concern, green cheeks seem like they have a good personality, but I've heard they can be really nippy, I was really leaning towards a poicephalus, but I certainly don't want an aggressive bird... and I'd get another lovebird, but I'd really like a larger bird that I could easily harness and take with me places.
    It'll probably all come down to the lesser of a lot of evils, and if I have pet-lover room mates, noise might not even be a big issue....

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Green Cheeks are nippy by nature, but if you handle them properly you can lessen it significantly. I used to have a Turquoise GCC (rehomed to a friend because the bird always attacked my bf) that was very nippy at first. He is totally tame, but he'd be on my fingers and would bite them. He'd be on my shoulder and he'd nip my skin. Within six months, I had gotten it down to where he NEVER nipped when on me. He occasionally would nip when you'd ask him to step up and he doesn't want to or something, but he went from nipping a lot to very little nipping.

On the flip side, if you don't know how to handle them, they can turn into biters like this one woman that contacted me. She selfishly kept a Green Cheek that she found (even though I told her she needed to contact the Humane Society and try to find the real owner) because it was cute and friendly. She knew nothing about GCC's and, I don't know what she did but in five or six months time, the bird went from being friendly to outright aggressive and bitey. Then she contacted me again to take the bird because she couldn't handle the biting anymore. After doing due diligence and not finding the real owner, the adoptive owner was able to break the bird of it's biting AND nipping in three months time because he knew what he was doing.

We also had another Green Cheek foster that wasn't a nipper whatsoever... we called him/her the "anti-Green Cheek".

Depending on what type of place you're living in, just remember that roommates may not be the issue but neighbors may. If you don't own, people can complain about noise to the landlord/resident manager. Just something to keep in mind... this is why when we foster and rehome Sun conures, we require the potential adopters to get consent from their landlord/resident manager on getting a "loud" bird (if they rent).

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

All things to consider. Green cheeks are probably the most suitable for me overall, and I think I could probably train a bird out of its nippiness (Ringo is getting better!) but I feel like I'd rather deal with a loud bird than an aggressive bird simply because if the bird's temperament is the issue, then it's a little more frustrating (at least to me.) From what I've read (I was looking at some older threads about Hahns on here) they're really lovable, playful birds, which seems to be true of macaws from what I've read, but it's just the noise that would be the issue.
    So many things are up to people's individual opinions and their bird's individual personality that it makes things just that much harder!

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Do you have any bird friends in your area? Or possibly a bird club near you? It might help you to interact with all these different kinds of birds in person, preferably multiple times or on an ongoing basis. I know each bird is different and will have their own quirks and personality, but it may help you in your decision making to actually spend quality time with different species.

If you're wanting a bird bigger than a Green Cheek, maybe another type of conure would be good for you? Here in Hawaii, we pretty much only have Suns, Jendays, and different mutations of GCC's but I know the mainland has LOTS of species of conures!

I know Indian Ringnecks can be loud as well, but from what I hear they're fun and playful - and they're on the bigger side, like a Sun.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I so wish we had something like a bird club around here, but I can't even find a breeder in MN. I'm not sure why- people definitely do have birds here, but apparently aren't very public about breeding them.
    I'd love to meet some larger birds though, I'm thinking of maybe visiting a rescue, there are a couple in the surrounding area, but they are a few hours away. It might be worth the trip since they're in bigger cities.
    I think meeting a few different kinds of birds would be really interesting and help my decision, but it's so dang difficult here!

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Here is one site that has breeders in MN: http://birdbreeders.com/breedersinMN.aspx. BIRD TALK magazine also has a list of breeders by state and I'm sure there are other websites that have listings of breeders...

Though the variety of species we have in Hawaii are low compared to the mainland, we've got a TON of backyard breeders (unfortunately) here because it's the perfect climate for parrots. Everyone and their mother here is a lovebird breeder that just lets their birds breed all year long and don't take very good care of them.

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

It's been a lot of years since reading a few articles in Bird Talk and a few other magazines, but if I remember correctly the smaller of the mini macaws are in fact more closely related to Conures then the large macaws.

Never had a Hahns, but do have a Severe and she is loud, hyper and can be a mega *&(ch. She's a bite first ask questions second kinda girl. Aside from Amazons we've had in the past she's the only one that has gone out of her way to attack me.

We have 3 Blue and Golds, a Catalina and a Greenwing and I prefer to work with them over the Severe any day of the week.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I was reading a little from Birds (I think that was what the magazine was called) about Hahn's and pretty much all the comments were very positive, although they said they can go through a nippy stage, but they'd taught their bird to talk instead of scream for attention and he would be quiet when asked to.
    Gosh guys, I'm just still so confused on what to get. Anyone have any other suggestions of species that might work?