Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Question Wrens or sparrows?

I have a bird house on my balcony and a bird laid her eggs. They should be leaving the nest anytime now. Anyway, some think the momma bird is a house wren and some say it is a sparrow. I think it is a house wren. I did allot of googling on it but there are so many types of both birds. So.... what do you think they are?
    I took this video a few days ago. The white is not as white as it appears.
    Turn volume down because the noise in the background is cars zooming by. Adjust to hear the babies chirping. The second one is a bit different.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Wrens or sparrows?

I'd say it's a sparrow because the wrens I looked at on http://www.birds.cornell.edu/nesting.../sp_accts/howr have a different build to the bird in your video. The sparrow looked more like your video http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/A...ree_Sparrow/id

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Fifa
    Thanks

Edit: LOL I was completly wrong. I will be back with a proper answer when my hubby get's home (he's the one that got me into falconry).

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Sandra, thanks. I listened to the sounds of the sparrow on that site. This bird I have here does not sound like that. But.... the sounds/singing I hear might be the sound she makes because she is by the babies... maybe... dunno..lol.. I am gonna try to take a still picture of her. She let's me get pretty close. I sit and watch her feeding the babies from about 9 feet away.

EDIT: I listened to both birds sounds and just don't know..lol.. Maybe it is a sparrow as you said.
    Last edited by Acey; 05-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I found it confusing because there are so many different types of sparrows and wrens and I believe Cornell doesn't list the European sparrows on their site because they aren't considered native.

Check this site out and see if this is more like your birdhttp://www.abcbirds.org/conservationissues/threats/invasives/house_sparrow.html

Name
    Beth
    Thanks

That's a Sparrow, Wrens are much much finer with a different shaped beak. This bird has more of a Finch shaped beak, so it can't be a Wren. But how sweet that you can see the chicks being fed!!!!

Hatched!
    Name
    Casey
    Thanks

sparrow. wrens have a thin downward curved beak, not a massive seed cracking on like sparrows have.

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Thanks all. Yes, a sparrow it is. I just got back from town at a store and there are sparrows all over the place. I asked a women there that I knew and she too said sparrow. Ok, cool, so now I know. I was just watching them and still I can see only 2 babies and now they are sticking almost half their bodies out when Mom comes and then flies away. I go out and they duck back in..lol.. I hope I can cvatch their first flight out of the house

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I can always tell when my tiel babies are getting ready to start flying because they start peering out of their nestbox and duck back in (like your sparrow babies) as soon as they see something that isn't mom. If sparrows are like tiels, you might start to hear flapping coming from inside the nest as the babies start practicing flying (though I've never figured out how they don't hurt each other when everyone starts flapping at the same time).

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Good 2 know. I had thought there were only 2 babies but just a bit ago, I did see a third ones head.

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Yes, they are Sparrows. Can also tell by the tail

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

5-29-2011
    I got up and went out onto the porch. I see one baby bird on the balcony floor. Has feathers and all but I did not know if it fell out the nest or mommie pushed it. I researched it online as to what to do. Said to put a glove on and place it back in the nest. Mommie was around chatting up a storm. So, the baby was at the edge and one more tiny hop and it would have fallen off the balcony. I put the baby back in the nest and trying to see what mommie does but we are leaving to go out of town. She did come back and fed the birds but I could not hear all 3 chirping. Don't know what to expect when we get back Monday afternoon

Here is a picture I took of the baby before she ended up to the end of balcony.

--------------------------

5-30-2011
    OMG.... Okay, we just got home a bit ago. Decided to come home early instead of staying there all day 2day. Anyway, we get back and one baby bird is still down on the ground. Not the runt. I go upstairs and go into my closed in porch which I left the door SHUT when we left. Open it up, and there is the runt baby. Hopped into the corner. So, sometime after I put it back in the house that Sunday morning, it must have gotten out again and hopped into the enclosed porch unnoticed. So the poor thing had no food. I picked it up and put it back in the birdhouse. Wrong move. Noticed that daddy had been fixing the nest. The baby keep his body almost out of the hole. Momma flew up and acted as if she fed it a bit. Daddy flew up and pecked at it's heard hard as to say, GET OUT". Momma went back and flew away then at the same time, the baby on purpose jumped out but did not land on the balcony this time. Landed on the ground. I went down the stairs and it was fine, sitting next to the other bigger baby that was very active but not flying yet. Now, the 3rd bird I saw a few days ago was the biggest. Can't find that one anywhere. I felt so sorry for the baby getting trapped inside my porch but momma keeps flying down to the ground where there are under the stairs tending to both babies. Guess the parents decided to use that birdhouse for her second time to lay eggs. I have to go all thru this again.LOL... At least now I have more to go by.

Bird on ground

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bryce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acey View Post
    5-29-2011
    I got up and went out onto the porch. I see one baby bird on the balcony floor. Has feathers and all but I did not know if it fell out the nest or mommie pushed it. I researched it online as to what to do. Said to put a glove on and place it back in the nest. Mommie was around chatting up a storm. So, the baby was at the edge and one more tiny hop and it would have fallen off the balcony. I put the baby back in the nest and trying to see what mommie does but we are leaving to go out of town. She did come back and fed the birds but I could not hear all 3 chirping. Don't know what to expect when we get back Monday afternoon

Here is a picture I took of the baby before she ended up to the end of balcony.

--------------------------

5-30-2011
    OMG.... Okay, we just got home a bit ago. Decided to come home early instead of staying there all day 2day. Anyway, we get back and one baby bird is still down on the ground. Not the runt. I go upstairs and go into my closed in porch which I left the door SHUT when we left. Open it up, and there is the runt baby. Hopped into the corner. So, sometime after I put it back in the house that Sunday morning, it must have gotten out again and hopped into the enclosed porch unnoticed. So the poor thing had no food. I picked it up and put it back in the birdhouse. Wrong move. Noticed that daddy had been fixing the nest. The baby keep his body almost out of the hole. Momma flew up and acted as if she fed it a bit. Daddy flew up and pecked at it's heard hard as to say, GET OUT". Momma went back and flew away then at the same time, the baby on purpose jumped out but did not land on the balcony this time. Landed on the ground. I went down the stairs and it was fine, sitting next to the other bigger baby that was very active but not flying yet. Now, the 3rd bird I saw a few days ago was the biggest. Can't find that one anywhere. I felt so sorry for the baby getting trapped inside my porch but momma keeps flying down to the ground where there are under the stairs tending to both babies. Guess the parents decided to use that birdhouse for her second time to lay eggs. I have to go all thru this again.LOL... At least now I have more to go by.

Bird on ground

Actually, putting the bird back into the nest is the wrong move, the bird is now what`s called a "fledgling" or in short a juvenile, It has feathers, and can hop around, momma pushed it out of the nest for a good reason. This little one will peck and forage around on the ground for days to a week maybe more until it has mustered up enough breast and leg muscle to fly, momma and daddy will still keep a watchful eye on the bird, and fly down to feed it every now and then, until it gets enough strength to fly and leave that area, all in all, just leave it alone, it will be gone and out of the area in a few days or more when it starts flying

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

Thanks. I am glad that I did not do any harm in what I did. The 2 birds on the ground are gone. Have not seen momma bird since they left but the daddy bird is hanging around all the time. Still fixing up the same nest.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Bryce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acey View Post
    Thanks. I am glad that I did not do any harm in what I did. The 2 birds on the ground are gone. Have not seen momma bird since they left but the daddy bird is hanging around all the time. Still fixing up the same nest.
    thats great to know they must have finally flown off!